Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:06 PM
MarF

Default Boyfriend at Jackson-sent letters but feeling discouraged

My boyfriend got taken to Jackson 3 days ago. I searched all over this site and still had trouble finding information but eventually got it after a lot of extra research.
There's a helpline where some very kind ladies have offered info
404-656-4661

and they told me to mail letters to
p.o. box 3877
Jackson, GA 30233

I sent him 2 letters already hoping that he will receive them soon. I'm not coping too well with not talking to him daily like we had been when he was in county. he could even get on the kiosks in county and email me whenever he was on free time, which seems like such a luxury now...

I'm just feeling a little discouraged after reading about how they decide who gets approved for visitation after classification. I don't have a social security number but I do have a driver's license and a military ID and plenty of information to provide criminal (no criminal record) and background history. But I hope they don't make a fuss about anything.

Also, right now that he's in Jackson, I was told I can only send him letters. I can't even put money on his books because I'm not immediate family. Only mom/dad can put money on his books, or so the lady on the helpline told me today.

His family doesn't have much and they have NO CLUE how to navigate the system. Every single bit of info they receive is through me. I'm the one always figuring things out. Also, living in his house and paying the mortgage.

I hope that getting approved for visitation isn't such a hassle. I miss him so very much and I'm so scared of what's ahead for him.

It's been a long couple of days. Just thought I'd share some of the info I found out. A lot of the things I read were from posts that were very outdated. Hope this helps somebody
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2018, 02:43 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,636 Times in 1,638 Posts

Thank you for sharing all this! Sending you strength on your journey and I hope you'll get approved for visits. I know it's hard to get used to not hearing from him as often as you did in county, it truly sucks...Keep your chin up & take it one day at a time, that's really all we can do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
Mrangel89 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 03:09 AM
MarF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Thank you for sharing all this! Sending you strength on your journey and I hope you'll get approved for visits. I know it's hard to get used to not hearing from him as often as you did in county, it truly sucks...Keep your chin up & take it one day at a time, that's really all we can do.
Thank you 💜💜💜
You're so kind. It truly is the most difficult time so far. But just like you said. One day at a time. Sometimes one moment at a time. I taught him the serenity prayer I learned in Al-Anon.... It's been our saving grace many many times. Thanks again for your kind words
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrangel89 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 03:12 AM
MarF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrangel89 View Post
My boyfriend got taken to Jackson 3 days ago. I searched all over this site and still had trouble finding information but eventually got it after a lot of extra research.
There's a helpline where some very kind ladies have offered info
404-656-4661

and they told me to mail letters to
p.o. box 3877
Jackson, GA 30233

I sent him 2 letters already hoping that he will receive them soon. I'm not coping too well with not talking to him daily like we had been when he was in county. he could even get on the kiosks in county and email me whenever he was on free time, which seems like such a luxury now...

I'm just feeling a little discouraged after reading about how they decide who gets approved for visitation after classification. I don't have a social security number but I do have a driver's license and a military ID and plenty of information to provide criminal (no criminal record) and background history. But I hope they don't make a fuss about anything.

Also, right now that he's in Jackson, I was told I can only send him letters. I can't even put money on his books because I'm not immediate family. Only mom/dad can put money on his books, or so the lady on the helpline told me today.

His family doesn't have much and they have NO CLUE how to navigate the system. Every single bit of info they receive is through me. I'm the one always figuring things out. Also, living in his house and paying the mortgage.

I hope that getting approved for visitation isn't such a hassle. I miss him so very much and I'm so scared of what's ahead for him.

It's been a long couple of days. Just thought I'd share some of the info I found out. A lot of the things I read were from posts that were very outdated. Hope this helps somebody
Also-you have to include his GDC id # in front of his name when mailing them letters.

And update- we tried setting up an account on JPay to transfer funds but even tho we were told his mom could I guess they forgot to remind us we have to wait until he puts in her info into the system thru them as an approved contact because we STILL couldn't add funds to his account since his mom is not approved yet either. So .... The waiting continues! Hope this helps someone
Old 04-14-2018, 07:27 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,681 Times in 14,447 Posts

There is normal time, and then there is correctional time. (prison time)
Its s-l-o-w.
a hurry up and wait game.

I got so frustrated with my hub when he first got sent to prison. He kept sending me visiting application without his signature on them!
He FINALLY got it and sent them. (one of the more frustrating things)
Keep sending letters. Let him know he's got to input his mom's info.
Hopefully someone will tell him before but.......in case they dont.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Mrangel89 (04-25-2018), Sarianna (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 03:10 PM

Mrangel89,
Hang in there. Things will get better once he is assigned to his first facility. Be honest on the significant relationship visitor forum and you should be able to get approved. If your not approved, post here and someone will help you through the process.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K6770 For This Useful Post:
Mrangel89 (04-25-2018), Sarianna (04-15-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 08:31 AM
MarF

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6770 View Post
Mrangel89,
Hang in there. Things will get better once he is assigned to his first facility. Be honest on the significant relationship visitor forum and you should be able to get approved. If your not approved, post here and someone will help you through the process.

Thank you! the waiting continues...I received a 3rd post card from him but he said nothing about receiving my letters. I hope I am addressing them correctly. still haven't gotten the visitor request forms. Will continue to patiently wait <3
Old 04-25-2018, 08:33 AM
MarF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
There is normal time, and then there is correctional time. (prison time)
Its s-l-o-w.
a hurry up and wait game.

I got so frustrated with my hub when he first got sent to prison. He kept sending me visiting application without his signature on them!
He FINALLY got it and sent them. (one of the more frustrating things)
Keep sending letters. Let him know he's got to input his mom's info.
Hopefully someone will tell him before but.......in case they dont.
I called the doc helpline and I got lucky enough to get a very kind lady who helped me update his mother's name in the system. They had the spelling all wrong. Today, we were finally able to put money on his books. it's been 2 weeks since he was taken to Jackson. Feels like a million years....
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrangel89 For This Useful Post:
xolady (04-25-2018)