Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Straight Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Straight Talk The general Ex-Offender discussion forum. If you have done time, this forum is for you.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Default Most PO's recognize colleges as "work"

if it's full time college and you get at least C's for grades. You'll get $5400 from the Pell grant per year and 12k for loans. some states give you another 1-2k for automatic scholarships or state grants. If you've worked 6 months and are on unemployment (or recently lost UE benefits) you can get another 2-k per year from that agency towards your schooling. If you are smart and attend a cheap school (like state jr college) the grant pays your tuition and fees, so the loans and other money is cash in your hand. some jobs (if you don't have a felony) will "forgive" your school loans, year's loan money for a year's work. Felons can marry (and bring here) 3rd worlders, who have degrees in medical field, teaching, engineering, etc. Those folks can get the same loans and grants, and once they have a Bachelor's from here (2 years, part time) they can get DOUBLE the amount of grants and loans. They can also work full time, while in school half time, and what they do with their earnings is between the two of you. :-) Your spouse can't divorce you for 5 years, or back they go to the hell hole out of which you plucked them. After they get US citizenship tho, LOOK OUT. Beware buying real estate, starting a biz, etc, in that 5 years, cause you're likely to lose at least half of it, and do NOT have any kids with them for that first 6 years (if ever). Kids give spouses (especially women) tremendous leverage against you in court, and if you're already a felon, forget getting a fair deal in divorce or custody hearings.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2014, 06:09 PM

Thanked 11,061 Times in 5,992 Posts

while it is accurate that many agencies consider full-time college enrollment to satisfy requirements to maintain employment, college is NOT the treasure trove described in your post. Not everyone is going to get Pell and not everyone is going to max on even the Stafford loans. It is equally disingenuous to insinuate that all will get various forms of scholarship aid.

Further, the funds over cost of actual attendance are not to be used for frivolous expenses and are generally going to have to be paid back at the conclusion of attendance.

I also take issue at the discussion of what would seem at first blush to be advocating for sham marriages...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
David (08-26-2014), frostwoman1954 (08-26-2014), OffenderNoMore (08-28-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,764 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkee View Post
if it's full time college and you get at least C's for grades. You'll get $5400 from the Pell grant per year and 12k for loans. some states give you another 1-2k for automatic scholarships or state grants. If you've worked 6 months and are on unemployment (or recently lost UE benefits) you can get another 2-k per year from that agency towards your schooling. If you are smart and attend a cheap school (like state jr college) the grant pays your tuition and fees, so the loans and other money is cash in your hand. some jobs (if you don't have a felony) will "forgive" your school loans, year's loan money for a year's work. Felons can marry (and bring here) 3rd worlders, who have degrees in medical field, teaching, engineering, etc. Those folks can get the same loans and grants, and once they have a Bachelor's from here (2 years, part time) they can get DOUBLE the amount of grants and loans. They can also work full time, while in school half time, and what they do with their earnings is between the two of you. :-) Your spouse can't divorce you for 5 years, or back they go to the hell hole out of which you plucked them. After they get US citizenship tho, LOOK OUT. Beware buying real estate, starting a biz, etc, in that 5 years, cause you're likely to lose at least half of it, and do NOT have any kids with them for that first 6 years (if ever). Kids give spouses (especially women) tremendous leverage against you in court, and if you're already a felon, forget getting a fair deal in divorce or custody hearings.
I'm not sure you understand what this community is about. I can tell you one thing that it is NOT about and that is gaming the system and running marriage scams.. You might want to look elsewhere if your reason for being here revolves around this type of activity.

Last edited by David; 08-26-2014 at 07:04 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (08-26-2014), nimuay (08-27-2014), OffenderNoMore (08-28-2014), sass4221 (08-26-2014)
Old 12-08-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I'm not sure you understand what this community is about. I can tell you one thing that it is NOT about and that is gaming the system and running marriage scams.. You might want to look elsewhere if your reason for being here revolves around this type of activity.
I dont advocate doing this either, but we have to live in the world that exists.

A felon has to compete with what the average other citizen does to get by. It is not rare at all to set up these sham marriages for compensation.

After my divorce, I found out that my turkish former brother-in-law was trying to convince my then-20 year old daughter - his family - to marry another distant relative so that he could come to the US and get his green card. She of course refused to do it - i raised her right. And he is beyond a scumbag for trying to get that to happen.

But this is what people do in the real world, and I'd rather see a felon who's trying to make his way do this than go back in.