Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Since the bop's budget requested "growth" was approved and funded by Congress, blaming finances for what is being done to half way houses is just some more bop BS.

They have plenty of money to buy, or build, or staff new prisons (including more than doubling the number of supermax and SMU cells) but not enough to fund a program that many inmates think is a positive bridge to reentry.

After passing through a half way house myself, it's not that big of a loss.
I'm wondering why the BOP can't be flexible on the 10% HC rule in light of all these HWH issues? Many first time, non violent offenders could just go to HC instead of HWH then. Help with the family aspect that was also brought up.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,085 Times in 10,763 Posts

Home confinement directly from bop prison, no HWH involvement, is possible, and I hope it is being utilized to counter the changes to their half way house placements. Those inmates are supervised by US Probation (home confinement from a HWH is supervised by the HWH, and they continue to be paid by the bop).

I don't know if US Probation charges the bop to supervise folks who are still in bop custody or not, but even if it saves the bop money, I will be amazed if they do change their policies.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Home confinement directly from bop prison, no HWH involvement, is possible, and I hope it is being utilized to counter the changes to their half way house placements. Those inmates are supervised by US Probation (home confinement from a HWH is supervised by the HWH, and they continue to be paid by the bop).

I don't know if US Probation charges the bop to supervise folks who are still in bop custody or not, but even if it saves the bop money, I will be amazed if they do change their policies.
I do think HC directly from bop prison is possible. That is what they are telling my husband will get now. However, he is losing the opportunity to be closer to us sooner (and get weekend furloughs from HWH) now that he is told no HWH time. Since he is a "short timer" he only really gets a little over a month of HC time due to the 10% rule. Originally we were hoping that he would get 1-2 months of HWH time prior to HC so he could be closer to us for 3 months of his sentence in total. Since now he was told will not get HWH time (so only the 1 month HC..if that even happens), I was hoping there was a way that the BOP could convert those months he could have spent in the HWH to 'extra' HC time, but I'm thinking that is not possible since it would be over 10%.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes the bop can send virtually every prisoner to HWH or home confinement for up to 12 months because of the Second Chance Act, but they won't. The 10%/6 month maximum went out when that law was passed, but since the law doesn't require the bop to do anything, it is totally up to their management. In my opinion, they oppose anything that might be helpful to their prisoners, but he can find out what their plans are for him from his bop unit team.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Yes the bop can send virtually every prisoner to HWH or home confinement for up to 12 months because of the Second Chance Act, but they won't. The 10%/6 month maximum went out when that law was passed, but since the law doesn't require the bop to do anything, it is totally up to their management. In my opinion, they oppose anything that might be helpful to their prisoners, but he can find out what their plans are for him from his bop unit team.
I don’t think this is accurate. “By statute federal prisoners may be placed on home confinement for ten percent of their sentence, or six months, whichever is less. 18 U.S.C. 3624(c)(2). Thus, six months represents the upper limit on the length of home confinement placement when the sentence is five years or more.”
This was even brought up and mentioned by the new BOP director at the recent federal hearing last week. This totally stinks because if they are not giving/or reducing HWH time to inmates they should have alternatives that can be done for those that do not need reentry assistance.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:51 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It looks like I am wrong, sorry. If the second chance act only authorizes 12 months in a HWH (instead of in "community corrections") then 10% HC is still the limit.