Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison & Legal News, Info & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison & Legal News, Info & Events Place news, info and events relating to the prison, criminal justice and legal system in the State of Ohio in this forum.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 PM

Default Ex prison chief urgers clemency for condemned killer

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live...litics&sid=101

Former Ohio prisons director Terry Collins and a Cincinnati civil-rights attorney are jointly urging Gov. John Kasich to spare the life of condemned killer Clarence Carter.
Carter, 49, is scheduled to be executed April 12 unless Kasich or the courts intervene. The Ohio Parole Board unanimously recommended against clemency for Carter.
A letter to Kasich jointly signed by Collins and attorney Alphonse Gerhardstein and obtained by The Dispatch said the death of inmate Johnny Allen resulted from a "jailhouse fight" with Carter in 1988 and does not warrant the death penalty.
"It is much more likely that this was an inmate fight that got tragically out of hand," Collins and Gerhardstein wrote. "Inmate-on-inmate violence in lockups is often pursued to establish oneself as fearsome and to deter others from threatening or attacking the inmate."
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2011, 11:51 AM

I am going to write Terry Collins to show my support for his and the civil-rights attorney. The Parole Board at work again. I wish Mr. Collins was director now.

Former Ohio prisons director Terry Collins and a Cincinnati civil-rights attorney are jointly urging Gov. John Kasich to spare the life of condemned killer Clarence Carter.
Carter, 49, is scheduled to be executed April 12 unless Kasich or the courts intervene. The Ohio Parole Board unanimously recommended against clemency for Carter.
A letter to Kasich jointly signed by Collins and attorney Alphonse Gerhardstein and obtained by The Dispatch said the death of inmate Johnny Allen resulted from a "jailhouse fight" with Carter in 1988 and does not warrant the death penalty.
"It is much more likely that this was an inmate fight that got tragically out of hand," Collins and Gerhardstein wrote. "Inmate-on-inmate violence in lockups is often pursued to establish oneself as fearsome and to deter others from threatening or attacking the inmate."[/quote]
Old 04-02-2011, 01:54 AM

a lot of us wish Collins was still director, but I would not want to be director under a boss like Kasich, who is more wall street mentality, crunching numbers, cutting anything but his salary, not caring about destroying lives, and jobs. All gong ho and all ohioans either on board or get off. I have never ever seen such an out of control governor in my life.

I guarantee assistant governor does not act like he does. Notice she is a CPA accountant, and she sure is super quiet, not helping address the budget crisis.

I am waiting for a story to show every ohio agency and how much each one of them over spent their budgets for last two FISCAL years, and why? They should be cut the most while others stayed within their budget.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 AM

Carter will get executed, Kasich will not care. This is my prediction
Old 04-08-2011, 09:38 AM

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/04/08/kasich-wont-stop-killers-execution.html?sid=101

Kasich won't stop killer's execution

Host of defenders say man isn't the 'worst of the worst'

Friday, April 8, 2011 03:06 AM
Clarence Carter is to be executed at 10 a.m. Tuesday.

Convicted killer Clarence Carter has a former prisons director and an ex-Ohio Supreme Court justice in his corner. But he does not have Gov. John Kasich.
Kasich rejected clemency yesterday for Carter, 49, of Hamilton County. Barring court intervention, Carter will be executed at 10 a.m. on Tuesday at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility near Lucasville.
As in the two other clemency cases Kasich has rejected since taking office in January, he offered no comment.
The Ohio public defender's office, former Ohio prisons director Terry Collins, civil-rights attorney Alphonse Gerhardstein and former Ohio Supreme Court Justice Herbert R. Brown urged Kasich to spare Carter's life.
Collins and Gerhardstein sent Kasich a letter suggesting that Carter should not be executed as the "worst of the worst" because the death of inmate Johnny Allen was "an inmate fight that got tragically out of hand."