Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Account Closed

Default Request stories for publication

As a wife of an inmate, I get support from hearing your stories. I would like to publish a book of them so if any of you would like to pm me your stories, I would appreciate it. Everything will be anonymous but your State or country would be good. No details will be passed to any other party. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2017, 07:35 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,190 Times in 15,226 Posts

Media Policy Representation of PTO
We are proud of our community and welcome members of the Media or Researchers to enter into dialogue with us about our aims, objectives and site structure.
As this is a prisoner-oriented site, any media stories evolving from PTO communication should be that of a positive nature towards the families of those incarcerated.
PTO is not a dating site nor is it in any way a campaigning or political community. We are not affiliated to any religious organisation and operate an open door, equal-opportunity environment.
Any representation that suggests otherwise is not acceptable and we ask that you do not use our name in any such article or presentation.

Disclaimer for Members (Media Representatives)
PTO does not endorse any media outlet, journalist, member of the media or media story/report, or any researchers or involved research institution.
PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media or from a research institution, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.
Members contact media representatives at their own risk and under their own cognisance.

Media/Journalist/Researchers – Requirements for PTO Membership/Acceptable Conduct
PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.
We do, occasionally, allow media/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members.
Any information obtained from this site must be credited to Prisontalk.com and its members.
Members of the media must obtain permission from PTO Administration before posting requests for information and/or contact details.
Media/Researchers who send unsolicited messages or post requests for information without express permission may be removed from this community.

Good luck in your endeavor Happy writing!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 09-04-2017, 10:43 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,472 Times in 7,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix 45 View Post
As a wife of an inmate, I get support from hearing your stories. I would like to publish a book of them so if any of you would like to pm me your stories, I would appreciate it. Everything will be anonymous but your State or country would be good. No details will be passed to any other party. Thank you.
You're talking about publication - this is the very definition of passing on information to third parties, aka the public, which includes prosecutors, judges, and parole boards.

Remember, these boards and other forms of social media are "cruised" by prosecutors, judges, and parole boards. Stuff said here is not confidential. Stuff said through messaging may also be subject to discovery. People talk with somebody interested in publishing their stories and the stories of their loved ones with hazard.

And you might want to check with the site's copyright policy before going much further.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
AndyS (09-04-2017), uRmylife (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Account Closed

i am not asking for details of crimes or the people concerned, just stories of what it's been like loving an inmate. The site is ok with this as it has been asked by others many times over the years. Thank you for taking the time to reply !!
Old 09-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,386 Times in 6,953 Posts

Quote:
i am not asking for details of crimes or the people concerned, just stories of what it's been like loving an inmate. The site is ok with this as it has been asked by others many times over the years. Thank you for taking the time to reply !!
Questions that pop into my mind:

1. Who is your audience? I hate to sound pessimistic, but most people who don't have a dog in this fight don't really care. So unless a collection of stories highlights a particular need for change or some social issue that the reader can do something about, we are your best audience and our stories are already here.

2. Are you planning to profit from the publication?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
AndyS (09-04-2017), xolady (09-04-2017), yourself (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 01:38 PM

Thanked 5,959 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Really?? It sucks that's most our stories its heart breaking and expensive and everyday it seems like a life time!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Tiffmm24 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 02:12 PM
attorney

Quote:
Details of crimes? No, not that. You are asking about things that get into whether s/he takes responsibility for the crime, and to some extent have to explain a bit about the crime. Further, you may be getting into criminal acts committed while in prison, both by prisoners and staff. You could not tell the story of an inmate in a prisoner strike without indirectly identifying that inmate, for example.

And yeah, can you please identify your audience? The audience for this is limited. You would presumably be making a profit on the stories of others without giving back (and knowing what a hit to a family's income level having one earner in prison is).

Sorry, I'm skeptical. You want to help others? Fine. I say to the members here, do it without the direct help of others, while adhering to the copyright rules of the site. Or, encourage others to write their own story so they can have control over what's said and how it's said - their story not funneled through somebody else's pen.

Or, you could start a list of books written by prisoners or their families so that others are helped that way.

Anytime somebody wants to make a buck off the back of an inmate's story or his/her family's story, I see it as a problem. Especially if they don't have the legal background to identify potential legal problems to begin with.

Your heart's in the right place, your keyboard is not.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
cornered (09-07-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 01:26 PM

Thanked 2,758 Times in 957 Posts

TBH, if I was going to tell my story I'd write my own book. That way I can control what is published and how my story is portrayed. Also we don't really know who you are. To us you are only Phoenix45, wife of inmate. You could be anyone...Attorney, DA, ex- girlfriend. Your intentions may be innocent..the ramifications may not be.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 02:29 PM

Thanked 5,959 Times in 3,104 Posts

OP has closed their account, guess they really were not interested in helping others!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (09-04-2017), yourself (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 03:12 PM

Thanked 2,758 Times in 957 Posts

No, she decided posting the same request on a pen pal site where there is no moderation might work better.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
Old 09-04-2017, 03:16 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
No, she decided posting the same request on a pen pal site where there is no moderation might work better.
Now that is my definition of a POS. All she's interested in is exploiting others for her own profit.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 03:18 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,190 Times in 15,226 Posts

Since the OP has closed her account and gone wherever OP's of closed accounts go....I believe its time to close this thread as well

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-04-2017)
Closed Thread