Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 09-07-2018, 05:44 PM

Default Nutrition for inmates?

Iím so worried. My son came out of juvie months ago and was diagnosed with malnutrition. He was sickly pale, extremely thin, had a nagging cough, and was losing handfuls of hair. I immediately took him to the doctor who diagnosed him with malnutrition and told him to eat healthy, fresh food and take vitamins. He was starting to gain weight and look better, and now heís in adult jail. Our doctor wrote prescriptions for vitamins for him two weeks ago, and I just found out yesterday that the jail MD is refusing to let him have them. Heís only had about 5 servings of canned vegetables since heís been in, no fruit, nothing fresh, and commissary food is only junk. Why wouldnít an MD want the best for his patients and allow him to have vitamins? The prescription was clearly attached by a pharmacist to each one. Weíre paying for them, not the government. I donít understand and donít know what to do. Shouldnít the jail be required to give him the vitamins after being diagnosed with malnutrition and since these were prescribed by his doctor? Heís only 18, and his brain isnít even close to being fully developed. Thatís one of the reasons heís in this mess. Iím sorry if I seem clueless, but I really am.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama33 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-08-2018), Lordbew/us (09-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2018, 01:36 AM

My son is in Federal, there are no nutritional meals in there, they try to keep meals at the smallest amount of cost, there is nothing fresh. I know nothing about Indiana Prisons, However the Doctors there are not going to help unless they decide its what they want to do, I’ve never heard of anyone being able to pay for an inmates supplements from the outside, they should have approved vitamins on the Commissary list. My son went in with 6 prescriptions, only 2 were in there formulary, so the PA just found others that were kinda close enough. Look at the Commissary list for your Sons Prison and try to help him find something to supplement his diet, vitamins, tuna, possibly V8 juice. Someone will come along with More information than I can give, hopefully there will be people on here in the same prison as your son, and give you more ideas! I’m truly sorry your having to go through this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-08-2018), lizlizzie2 (09-09-2018), Mama33 (09-08-2018), Yvettee805 (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 08:22 AM

My boyfriend stayed on vitamins and protein powder to supplement inside. This story breaks my heart. I hear many people say they get what they need inside, not true. Bodies need healthy food, exercise and sunshine. If you can get ahold of a canteen list and help him make choices like were suggested in a previous post. Even with all he did he still came out pale and unhealthy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
Mama33 (09-08-2018), xolady (09-09-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Unhappy Medical problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
My son is in Federal, there are no nutritional meals in there, they try to keep meals at the smallest amount of cost, there is nothing fresh. I know nothing about Indiana Prisons, However the Doctors there are not going to help unless they decide its what they want to do, Iíve never heard of anyone being able to pay for an inmates supplements from the outside, they should have approved vitamins on the Commissary list. My son went in with 6 prescriptions, only 2 were in there formulary, so the PA just found others that were kinda close enough. Look at the Commissary list for your Sons Prison and try to help him find something to supplement his diet, vitamins, tuna, possibly V8 juice. Someone will come along with More information than I can give, hopefully there will be people on here in the same prison as your son, and give you more ideas! Iím truly sorry your having to go through this.
Thanks, so much. I guess I failed to mention that heís got some major medical issues. Iím trying so hard to get appointments with his various doctors to see what can be done. He has major problems and mental disabilities already and has always been in special ed classes because of it, and his intestines have never worked properly, so his body doesnít make seratonin. Now, after all of these years, a number of doctors believe that a lot of his problems are because he was infected with Lyme disease and other tick-borne infections when we lived on the in Virginia when he was 4. Itís such a strange disease, and Iím so scared of all of the devastation is has caused and will continue to cause in his body. Google Lyme disease and suicide. Treatment for it is very tricky because you at least need vitamin C to rid your body of the toxins created by the infections, and the diseases themselves create chronic inflammation and can cause brain and heart damage along with many other problems. It canít be treated with antibiotics in his case because his body canít tolerate them. Heís got a lot of medical problems. Theyíre allowing two of his prescriptions through which are for bipolar disorder, but heís already tried to commit suicide numerous times in the last few years. Iíll try to see if V8 or vitamins are available where he is, but I don't know how we can get him to buy those with commissary his money. Heís mentally very young, and so far he just talks about buying chips and honeybuns. He really needs to be in a mental hospital (which are practically non-existent anymore) but weíve read that prisons are the ďnewĒ mental hospitals. Weíre not even trying to get him a reduced sentence. We just donít want him to be so much worse off that he tries to attempt suicide again and succeeds. He just turned 18 but is not mentally 18. Iím sorry if I sound like a privileged person. I am not. Weíve been dealing with his mental health issues since he was 4, and most of the doctors heís seen donít take insurance, so weíre in major debt. Apparently you canít get good medical or mental health care in this country, big surprise. Iím tearing my hair out. Weíve been struggling to get him help and a proper diagnosis for years, but the last few months heís just been spiraling. He was actually trying to commit suicide when he allegedly committed the crimes heís in jail for, but I donít think the judge will care. If he didnít have this major depression, I think I would be able to accept this a little better, but Iím so worried that his mental state is going to deteriorate. Bad nutrition is horrible enough for an ordinary person, but for one with his medical problems, it can make things so much worse.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
My boyfriend stayed on vitamins and protein powder to supplement inside. This story breaks my heart. I hear many people say they get what they need inside, not true. Bodies need healthy food, exercise and sunshine. If you can get ahold of a canteen list and help him make choices like were suggested in a previous post. Even with all he did he still came out pale and unhealthy.
How was your boyfriend able to get the vitamins and protein powder inside? Iím not sure my son is capable of choosing healthy things for himself from the commissary list. Heís really just not mature enough and doesnít understand that kind of thing. Heís a very immature 18 year old. Iíve already had a number of his teachers reach out to me about how necessary either a good diet or supplemental vitamins will be for him, but of course they donít have the knowledge to help him either.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,370 Times in 11,860 Posts

He should continue to sign up for sick call and explain his medical problems to whoever he sees. Jails are notorious for having even worse medical care than prisons, but someone is responsible for providing appropriate care to jail prisoners. It may be a private company under contract, or employees hired by the sheriff, etc., but someone is being paid to care for inmates.

How long will he be there? That can factor into your decision to complain, or not.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Scared of medication, very little info

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
He should continue to sign up for sick call and explain his medical problems to whoever he sees. Jails are notorious for having even worse medical care than prisons, but someone is responsible for providing appropriate care to jail prisoners. It may be a private company under contract, or employees hired by the sheriff, etc., but someone is being paid to care for inmates.

How long will he be there? That can factor into your decision to complain, or not.
Hereís the problem. We have no idea whatsís going on or how long heís going to be there. Heís in county jail right now. Itís weird because after a couple of weeks he said he was ďre-classifiedĒ and moved at 1:00 am from a pretty laid back block to one with actual murderers, and he has no idea why. His was a non-violent offender (tried to commit suicide with drugs and a knife, allegedly ran from police.) Maybe itís because he was violent to himself or thereís overcrowding? Heck, he could be doing stupid stuff in there and just not telling us too. My gut says that it wasnít something he did though.

The second problem is that heís afraid to complain to medical because he was in there the first week or so because of his suicide attempt and injuries. He was constantly stuck in a tiny cell (two person cell, three people) and had to sleep on a thin mat on the floor near the toilet. Heís terrified to bring up anything for fear of getting put back there. At least where he is now he has a bunk, gets to leave his cell periodically, has access to TV, and isnít sleeping on the floor next to a toilet.

All of the stuff he did happened in a 24 hour period when he was in the middle of a mental breakdown. His meds clearly arenít working, though I think theyíre better than nothing.

He is at least receiving his two prescriptions for mood stabilization in jail, thank God, though he says they arenít really doing much. What the heck would he be like without them?

This entire situation is so screwed up. I had no idea jails and prisons were so awful. If someone ever finds a cure for my disease and I get even halfway better, Iím going to start doing what little I can for prison reform. I understand that people need to be punished for their crimes, but they need decent food or at least supplemental vitamins and the right NOT to sleep on the floor next to a toilet. They also deserve adequate medical treatment, but apparently thatís difficult to come by for anyone in this country unless you have good insurance or are independently wealthy.

I know Iím preaching to the choir here. Thanks so much for your help and time. I really appreciate you being on here and caring enough to answer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mama33 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-09-2018), Sarianna (09-10-2018), Sunnielg (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama33 View Post
Hereís the problem. We have no idea whatsís going on or how long heís going to be there. Heís in county jail right now. Itís weird because after a couple of weeks he said he was ďre-classifiedĒ and moved at 1:00 am from a pretty laid back block to one with actual murderers, and he has no idea why. His was a non-violent offender (tried to commit suicide with drugs and a knife, allegedly ran from police.) Maybe itís because he was violent to himself or thereís overcrowding? Heck, he could be doing stupid stuff in there and just not telling us too. My gut says that it wasnít something he did though.

The second problem is that heís afraid to complain to medical because he was in there the first week or so because of his suicide attempt and injuries. He was constantly stuck in a tiny cell (two person cell, three people) and had to sleep on a thin mat on the floor near the toilet. Heís terrified to bring up anything for fear of getting put back there. At least where he is now he has a bunk, gets to leave his cell periodically, has access to TV, and isnít sleeping on the floor next to a toilet.

All of the stuff he did happened in a 24 hour period when he was in the middle of a mental breakdown. His meds clearly arenít working, though I think theyíre better than nothing.

He is at least receiving his two prescriptions for mood stabilization in jail, thank God, though he says they arenít really doing much. What the heck would he be like without them?

This entire situation is so screwed up. I had no idea jails and prisons were so awful. If someone ever finds a cure for my disease and I get even halfway better, Iím going to start doing what little I can for prison reform. I understand that people need to be punished for their crimes, but they need decent food or at least supplemental vitamins and the right NOT to sleep on the floor next to a toilet. They also deserve adequate medical treatment, but apparently thatís difficult to come by for anyone in this country unless you have good insurance or are independently wealthy.

I know Iím preaching to the choir here. Thanks so much for your help and time. I really appreciate you being on here and caring enough to answer.

I really feel for you and your son. Had issues when my husband was in county....they hate to see me walk anywhere near the jail/court house.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnielg For This Useful Post:
Mama33 (09-09-2018), xolady (09-24-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
How was your boyfriend able to get the vitamins and protein powder inside? Iím not sure my son is capable of choosing healthy things for himself from the commissary list. Heís really just not mature enough and doesnít understand that kind of thing. Heís a very immature 18 year old. Iíve already had a number of his teachers reach out to me about how necessary either a good diet or supplemental vitamins will be for him, but of course they donít have the knowledge to help him either.
He was able to purchase protein powder and vitamins off of the commissary list. He also bought V-8 juice
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-10-2018), Mama33 (09-10-2018), Sarianna (09-11-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:31 PM

So, I spoke with him about getting vitamins today, and they are available at the commissary. The problem is that the types of vitamins he needs aren’t available. Part of his medical problems are that he can’t process vitamins in certain forms, and some can actually make his conditions worse. I know more about his biology than I ever dreamed possible. I forgot to ask about protein powder. He was all excited about putting chili into a bag of chips today. He’s such a little boy. He also said that he already sees that people are dividing up by race which is very troubling. I’ve read about that in prisons, but I had hoped he wouldn’t encounter it. He has family members of all races, and he himself is 1/4 Mexican and part Native American but looks white. He says the whites are looking out for him. What the heck will they do if they find out he’s not 100% white? Do people just fit in because they look a certain color? I’m so worried!
Old 09-11-2018, 05:51 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,370 Times in 11,860 Posts

Prison racial politics depend on the prison/jail system and are massively different. In some, they determine who he is allowed to associate with, while in others, he can choose whoever he wants. He will learn inmate etiquette for his actual location, and following it is important. Affiliating with a gang also carries its own rules and consequences.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:12 AM

Default I think heís smart enough to stay out of a gang

He saw what some of the boys in his former school were dealing with, so I think heíll stay out of a gang. One kidís dad in there was in a gang in South America, and if they ever go back there, heíll be murdered. I really, really hope heís not that stupid, but MAN heís done some dumb things in his life!
Old 09-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,563 Times in 11,010 Posts

Mama33, what state are you in? The different states handle many issues very differently, so what happens in one won't necessarily apply to any other.

Meanwhile, gather all of his medical records (if that hasn't already been done for his PSI) and get them to the jail/prison. Contact the ombudsman for your state to help you direct them properly. Then talk to your state representative/senator and anyone else who might be able to help. The prison system is not very prone to give in to pressure, but when it's from the people who control their budgets and promotions, they sometimes listen.
Mama33 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 03:43 AM

Default Getting records

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Mama33, what state are you in? The different states handle many issues very differently, so what happens in one won't necessarily apply to any other.

Meanwhile, gather all of his medical records (if that hasn't already been done for his PSI) and get them to the jail/prison. Contact the ombudsman for your state to help you direct them properly. Then talk to your state representative/senator and anyone else who might be able to help. The prison system is not very prone to give in to pressure, but when it's from the people who control their budgets and promotions, they sometimes listen.

Ok, thank you so much for the advice.
My husband is dragging his feet about getting all of the records. There are so, so many, all the back since he was 5. My husband has kind of washed his hands of our son and doesnít care if he gets the stuff he needs. Heís just so sick of doing backflips for this kid. I just donít want his mental problems to get worse because guess who heíll be calling when he gets out if he has more trouble... us, of course! I just want him to get better and not want to kill himself. This is really hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama33 For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:09 AM

Thanked 3,430 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
he was ďre-classifiedĒ and moved at 1:00 am from a pretty laid back block to one with actual murderers, and he has no idea why. His was a non-violent offender (tried to commit suicide with drugs and a knife, allegedly ran from police.) Maybe itís because he was violent to himself or thereís overcrowding?
So... are you aware of what heís actually been charged with? That might give you some insight into his reclassification. You donít get thrown in jail if you attempt suicide, and you wouldnít be jailed indefinitely for just running from police. That means heís in jail for something else... either illegal possession of the drugs he had, or he threatened someone else (hopefully not the police officer) with that knife.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:43 PM

Default Yep, just got news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
So... are you aware of what heís actually been charged with? That might give you some insight into his reclassification. You donít get thrown in jail if you attempt suicide, and you wouldnít be jailed indefinitely for just running from police. That means heís in jail for something else... either illegal possession of the drugs he had, or he threatened someone else (hopefully not the police officer) with that knife.
Thanks for replying. Would he get reclassified because of drugs? He said he just got a letter saying the stuff he had on him was pot. (Of course he tried to deny that to us... why weíd believe that I have no idea. He was high as a kite when we saw him.) I thought pot was a pretty minor offense though.

He didnít threaten a police officer with the knife. He was stabbing himself in the arm, and they tased him. We saw that part. Iím wondering if he did something while in jail to get him re-classified and just isnít saying anything. Maybe he did something stupid and is too embarrassed to tell us. He may have also incriminated himself on those phone with his friends. Ugh.... oh well, heís legally an adult now even if he doesnít act like it and gets to make his own decisions. Having him in adult jail now is interesting because we hear nothing unless itís from him. The not knowing is so hard, but itís not like we could do anything about it anyway.

We also just got the ambulance bill today. Itís always something.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:19 PM

Thanked 3,430 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for replying. Would he get reclassified because of drugs? He said he just got a letter saying the stuff he had on him was pot. (Of course he tried to deny that to us... why weíd believe that I have no idea. He was high as a kite when we saw him.) I thought pot was a pretty minor offense though.

He didnít threaten a police officer with the knife. He was stabbing himself in the arm, and they tased him. We saw that part. Iím wondering if he did something while in jail to get him re-classified and just isnít saying anything. Maybe he did something stupid and is too embarrassed to tell us. He may have also incriminated himself on those phone with his friends. Ugh.... oh well, heís legally an adult now even if he doesnít act like it and gets to make his own decisions. Having him in adult jail now is interesting because we hear nothing unless itís from him. The not knowing is so hard, but itís not like we could do anything about it anyway.

Oh my goodness... I donít care what the law says, 18 year olds are not grown adults. Maybe some of them are... but definitely not the majority.

Since the ambulance bill will be his responsibility and he is unemployed, see if the hospital has a sliding fee program or relief program based on income. It might make it more manageable.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:28 PM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
Iím so worried. My son came out of juvie months ago and was diagnosed with malnutrition. He was sickly pale, extremely thin, had a nagging cough, and was losing handfuls of hair. I immediately took him to the doctor who diagnosed him with malnutrition and told him to eat healthy, fresh food and take vitamins. He was starting to gain weight and look better, and now heís in adult jail. Our doctor wrote prescriptions for vitamins for him two weeks ago, and I just found out yesterday that the jail MD is refusing to let him have them. Heís only had about 5 servings of canned vegetables since heís been in, no fruit, nothing fresh, and commissary food is only junk. Why wouldnít an MD want the best for his patients and allow him to have vitamins? The prescription was clearly attached by a pharmacist to each one. Weíre paying for them, not the government. I donít understand and donít know what to do. Shouldnít the jail be required to give him the vitamins after being diagnosed with malnutrition and since these were prescribed by his doctor? Heís only 18, and his brain isnít even close to being fully developed. Thatís one of the reasons heís in this mess. Iím sorry if I seem clueless, but I really am.
He should be able to buy vitamins through commissary I know my husband has. Don't know if he's in state or federal but I'm sure they're available in both
Old 09-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Thanked 2,667 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote:

Could he have had synthetic pot (K2) instead of regular pot? This affects them in so many different ways. Look it up and see if you see any parallels in his behavior.

Again, regular pot can be mixed with other stuff too.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Mama33 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 11:38 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,177 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
T
If he is legally an adult, you are not responsible for his medical bills. I never even saw the medical bills from the hosptial when my son was arrested and was taken to the ER via ambulance. If I did and have forgotten, then I would have called them and told them he was in jail, headed for prison, and wouldn't be out for at least 5 years or more. They would have written it off, after reporting it on his credit I am sure, upon confirming that I was telling the truth.

Unless they include these things in with his sentencing of costs and fines, then the reality is that if he is in for any length of time, it will be off his credit report in 7 to 10 years and most likely they will cease any collection actions after 3 to 5 years depending on their collection agency.

What you do want to concentrate paying for is anything that will eventually affect his release and parole. The rest, ignore. I had to pay some fines out of WI as his 1st felon was there and I needed them to to agree to concurrent sentence in AZ. The AZ fines, his sentence provided for it to be be paid at the rate of 20% so they took that out of any money sent to him and any money he earned. My sons' were less than 3k in AZ so it was paid off in 5 years. I paid about $1,500 in WI and recently learned I missed a city court one that he will have to deal with when he gets out.

Assuming he has no assets to protect, and his sentence is lengthy, don't worry about any bills that do not affect his ability to complete his sentence and be released.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (09-14-2018), Mama33 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:02 AM

Default Vitamins available

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
He should be able to buy vitamins through commissary I know my husband has. Don't know if he's in state or federal but I'm sure they're available in both
Thanks.

Yeah, we found out they do they do sell them. Thatís probably why the jail wonít let him take the ones we dropped off. More money out of their pocket. I canít believe how much they charge for everything. Unfortunately, he has some kind of health issue where regular vitamins can actually make him worse, so he needs certain kinds of vitamins. Itís weird. It has to do with genes and methylation which Iím too stupid to explain. My brain is not working well on stress and lack of sleep.

Iím off to his MD tomorrow to see if heíll write a letter explaining this that we can give to the lawyer so he can actually get them. This whole situation has been really bizarre.

Iím so disgusted with the jail/prison system now. People have no idea whatís going on until they or a loved one have to deal with it.

I just started watching ď60 Days In.Ē My son will tell me about something thatís going on in his jail, and on the next episode Iíll see almost the exact same thing happening on the show. He saw some guy get dragged into a cell bathroom to get beat up and said that when the guy came out, his head looked like a pumpkin. Then I saw that happen on the next episode. No CO paid any attention.

The system really is broken.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:14 AM

Update... the MD said he’ll do whatever we need to get our son the proper vitamins and genetic cheek swab testing if that’s what we want. (We had the genetic testing done years ago, so the MD wants newer info to pick out the best supplements to go with his particular gene mutations.) I guess we’ll just wait until he’s actually sentenced before we involve the lawyer to try to get anything done. Even then it may not work, and I’m not even sure that it’s worth it to pay a lawyer to try to get this done since so many people are telling me he won’t get the help he needs no matter what we do. I wish my husband would help, but he’s so done. I know I’m being paranoid, but because of our son’s medical conditions and age, I’m extremely worried about his brain development and how this will affect his logical reasoning in the future. We’ve had to deal with this for so long because of his concussions from sports injuries, a chronic Lyme infection which causes brain inflammation that went undiagnosed for over a decade, and then damage from drug use/self medication and other suicide attempts. His brain clearly isn’t working properly or he wouldn’t keep trying to kill himself and self medicate. At least where he is now he can’t try to overdose again. I guess that’s a positive. There are moments when he tells me he must have a purpose in life because there’s no way he should still be alive now. That’s true. After his January suicide attempt, the doctors said it was a miracle he was alive and that his organs were working after all of the Benadryl and alcohol he used. His attempts with Xanax didn’t work... doctors said it’s difficult to actually kill yourself with that compared to Benadryl or aspirin. Lock those OTC meds up if you have kids! Thankfully I can say with confidence that the Benadryl, alcohol, and Xanax he used for suicide attempts did not come from our house. Seriously, this kid needs to be in medical institution, not have jail time, but of course this is how they treat patients with mental problems these days, and they evidently don’t care if they get better. Everything I’ve read says our jails and prisons are taking the place of mental hospitals. That sure makes it more dangerous in there for regular inmates I would think. Oh, our system is so broken.

Last edited by Mama33; 09-20-2018 at 03:16 AM..
Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 AM

Also, wouldn’t it be nice to have money? That sure would make things like medical bills and attorney fees a lot easier to justify. Now the question is do we go deeper into debt to try to help our son from spiraling farther down the rabbit hole of mental illness or just give up so that we aren’t constantly struggling to pay bills (or I guess I should say “struggling less?”) This shouldn’t be a question any parent should have to deal with. If I had the money it would be a no brainer. I guess I need to put it into perspective and think of how grateful I should be for so many things like clean water to drink and electricity. So many people in the world have it so much worse than I do. I’m just finding it hard to feel grateful for much knowing that my son is sitting in jail with a brain that’s slowly deteriorating. Ugh. This is so incredibly difficult.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:53 AM

Thanked 1,248 Times in 518 Posts

Quote:
That sure would make things like medical bills and attorney fees a lot easier to justify. Now the question is do we go deeper into debt to try to help our son from spiraling farther down the rabbit hole of mental illness or just give up so that we arenít constantly struggling to pay bills
Your posts read as if he is in county jail, early in adjudication process. You've talked about him being high on marijuana and an incident with the police apparently stabbing himself and now he is in jail. I do not see where you've indicated formal charges he faces.

You are understandably concerned about his mental and medical condition and have done about as much as you can. His attorney can try to forward medical concerns to the jail. They may or may not act on any of it. It sucks but they have control. If he is awaiting trial, has bail been set? The only way you could have more impact on his medical is to post bond, get him out so his doctor can be directly involved.

Beyond that, concern is legal. What are the charges? What does he face? What can be done legally to fight the charges or mitigate the sentence? Legal strategy and defense might be the priority right now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (09-20-2018), Mama33 (09-20-2018), Sarianna (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:53 PM

Default I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
Your posts read as if he is in county jail, early in adjudication process. You've talked about him being high on marijuana and an incident with the police apparently stabbing himself and now he is in jail. I do not see where you've indicated formal charges he faces.

You are understandably concerned about his mental and medical condition and have done about as much as you can. His attorney can try to forward medical concerns to the jail. They may or may not act on any of it. It sucks but they have control. If he is awaiting trial, has bail been set? The only way you could have more impact on his medical is to post bond, get him out so his doctor can be directly involved.

Beyond that, concern is legal. What are the charges? What does he face? What can be done legally to fight the charges or mitigate the sentence? Legal strategy and defense might be the priority right now.
I think you’re right about focusing on the legal stuff at the moment. He is still in county jail. He’s got a number of felonies because when he ran, he took a car that had keys in it to escape from police. It was undamaged, and we actually know the lady who owns it. She loves him, knows his problems, and doesn’t want to press charges, but one of the charges is evading police. He broke into the place he worked and got a B.B. gun which he was waving around so the police would shoot him, so he’s got burglary and pointing a gun (unloaded) at police. The burglary is the worst one that we know of at the moment. The knife was another issue even though he didn’t threaten anyone with it. There could be more charges we don’t know about yet... he was gone for about 24 hours, and he lost the police a number of times. Right now the burglary is the worst charge. He didn’t want to hurt anyone but himself which thankfully the police knew so they didn’t shoot him, but I’m not sure it will help him with the judge. The judge is known for giving out hard sentences. This whole thing was another suicide attempt, and that’s one of the reasons I’m so concerned about his health. We can’t afford his bail (which is unbelievably high, and he may just take off to attempt suicide again if we DO post bond) because we decided to shell out for the lawyer, and the lawyer wants to defer, defer, defer as long as he can and then plea bargain. I really believe this was temporary insanity, but that’s difficult to prove, and what would that defense do for his future? The attorney says that if he just stays in jail for a while, he’ll hopefully already have some time and good behavior under his belt, right? At least he’s in a place where he can’t easily kill himself right now. I just hate not knowing anything. I’m terrified about the future no matter what happens. Even if the judge were to let him out today, we have no idea if he’ll attempt suicide again, so once again I would have no sleep and be on edge every second of the day. The waiting and lack of information are both killing me, but the entire situation is just so much to handle. He said he won’t talk to the medical people in the jail because he doesn’t want to go back into the padded cell and be isolated. This is like a nightmare wrapped up in a nightmare. I have no idea what to do or how to handle this. I just want him to stop being so depressed that he wants to die, and that’s why the medical stuff is sending me over the edge. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Mama33; 09-20-2018 at 01:57 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama33 For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (09-20-2018)