Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 AM

Default PO looking for looking for Interesting Activities for Probationers. Ideas?

I am Probation Officer and Im looking for Interesting Activity for Probationers, Something Creative and Interesting.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Thanked 5,994 Times in 3,116 Posts

Like what kinds of activities are you talking about? This will probably get moved because its not the right forum. But what about getting them to volunteer at animal shelters or food banks. Doing them some good and also the community some good.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:30 AM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,602 Times in 17,336 Posts

Welcome to PTO and thank you for looking for creative ways to help your probationers! We do have other PO's and many members who have dealt with both parole and probation here at PTO...perhaps they'll have some unique ideas for you I'll put my thinking cap on as well.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 AM

Hey another place is nursing homes. I know its not for everyone but lots of people never get visitors. Even homeless shelters are always looking for volunteers. I had mentioned animal shelters a lot of them have training and can lead to a career. I love when I go to the local animal shelter to just visit the animals, its funny cause I go so much people think I work there!LOL
Old 08-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Probation officer

See if your office is interested in conducting MRT groups. It's very thought provoking and it allows the probationer an opportunity to look at themselves and challenge their belief systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to 26thncaliswag For This Useful Post:
Scott (09-28-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,230 Times in 13,894 Posts

Hospitals, especially Veterans Administration Hospitals, have active volunteer programs with many ways to serve.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:17 AM

Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,684 Posts

How about actually preparing them for college and work environments-many do not know how to even hold a job and need money. Volunteering is fine, but most out of prison are not independently wealthy and need to spend their time making money to support themselves. That is why crime is so tempting-the money. Anything done should be done, so that it generates money. Volunteering is really for those with a lot of time of their hands or those that are rich, not poor, because time could be better spent generating income for themselves so they don't have to turn to crime to support themselves and their families. Educational pursuits leading to jobs and jobs themselves are what is needed. I have always been against "busy" work for the sake of just putting in time as those in prison have put in enough time. Like I said volunteering is necessary in society, but it's time for those out of prison to actually work and get paid, because you have to show work with a paycheck is more satisfying than crime. That's interesting enough.

Last edited by thatwiz; 08-05-2014 at 07:22 AM..
Old 08-05-2014, 07:59 AM
attorney

Thanked 22,344 Times in 7,758 Posts

Hospice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-17-2014), xolady (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwiz View Post
How about actually preparing them for college and work environments-many do not know how to even hold a job and need money. Volunteering is fine, but most out of prison are not independently wealthy and need to spend their time making money to support themselves. That is why crime is so tempting-the money. Anything done should be done, so that it generates money. Volunteering is really for those with a lot of time of their hands or those that are rich, not poor, because time could be better spent generating income for themselves so they don't have to turn to crime to support themselves and their families. Educational pursuits leading to jobs and jobs themselves are what is needed. I have always been against "busy" work for the sake of just putting in time as those in prison have put in enough time. Like I said volunteering is necessary in society, but it's time for those out of prison to actually work and get paid, because you have to show work with a paycheck is more satisfying than crime. That's interesting enough.
I know where I live community service goes towards restitution and cost of supervision. You can also pay off fines this way also. Lots jobs are found thru volunteering. Basically OJT
Old 08-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,029 Times in 7,143 Posts

Many probationers/parolees are lacking in some very basic life skill- balancing a checkbook, preparing a nutritious meal/shopping for groceries effectively, etc- the skills that are so vital to a sane life... maybe you could connect with social services and try to set up some "Life 101" courses for probationers and those receiving assistance who will be on their feet faster if they learn these things?
Involvement with a community garden can be fascinating and deeply rewarding on many levels.
Habitat for Humanity can always use help, both on building sites and in the "ReStores"

Encourage your guys and gals to develop creative outlets like learning an instrument, painting or pottery- if there is an arts cooperative, college or learning annex nearby that has a pottery studio, maybe an arrangement can be reached about getting the student price for materials, kiln space and such.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-13-2014), southernsarah (08-14-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 AM
attorney

Thanked 22,344 Times in 7,758 Posts

Quote:
Involvement with a community garden can be fascinating and deeply rewarding on many levels.
Habitat for Humanity can always use help, both on building sites and in the "ReStores"

Encourage your guys and gals to develop creative outlets like learning an instrument, painting or pottery- if there is an arts cooperative, college or learning annex nearby that has a pottery studio, maybe an arrangement can be reached about getting the student price for materials, kiln space and such.
you can also look into trading labor for classes and studio time - cleaning the floors and restrooms, canvassing areas with fliers for upcoming clases, helping with winter snow removal and sidewalk salting - there are always ways to trade labor for learning to make things even more cost effective.

Last edited by LeBeau; 08-05-2014 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: replace missing quote code for clarity
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
LeBeau (08-05-2014), Scott (09-28-2014), xolady (08-05-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 07:30 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 33,302 Times in 16,648 Posts

I think volunteering is good and it can make you FEEL better as well.
It also puts you out there and could be a good way to *network* into a paying job.

That is often how someone gets a job. You know someone, who knows someone who needs someone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Scott (09-28-2014), southernsarah (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Helping to restore trails would be a great contribution and exercise at the same time. Exercise is good to release endorphins which is a major stress relief.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtbfan For This Useful Post:
southernsarah (08-14-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 06:39 PM

Default Creative and Interesting

I think creative and interesting that would help them, Project Second Chance or Life at Second Chance you can offer education skill, computer skill, interview skill, counselor, case management, life skill, employment developed and employment skill. This might what you want to do.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 PM

There are always old cemetaries that need restored. I think volunteering is great. In my hometown we had a prison work camp and those guys made a big difference by cleaning up the town after an event. I do know that these people need to learn to do things for themself most don't know what responsibility is.
Scott (09-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 01:22 PM

A Probationers' Job Fair where you would try to get employers to come and hire your probationers. If it works, they may find some work and they won't have the excuse that they really couldn't find anything at all. If they only get lousy jobs that way, it is up to them to go look for other jobs. I would suggest you don't refuse access to the occasional non-probationer job seeker who may attend, but that's up to you. The problem is finding employers.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Owned
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,625 Times in 2,089 Posts

Not to sound too negative, but in my state a felon has a VERY hard time volunteering anywhere there might be drugs, like a hospital or hospice or anywhere there might be people that might be thought of as easy to abuse/take advantage of.

Last edited by safran; 08-28-2014 at 02:33 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
Luvs__iridescent (10-10-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 33,302 Times in 16,648 Posts

good point safran.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Owned
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,625 Times in 2,089 Posts

Thanks, I learned that the painful way which is why I do animal foster, rescue and transport. The animals don't seem to care that I'm a felon.
Luvs__iridescent (10-10-2014), sidewalker (08-30-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 07:43 PM

I'm a volunteer at an organization that helps returning citizens. One huge problem is finding new (good) friends. I encourage clients to join church groups, and to participate in free activities and lectures at the local college. AA meetings are a place to meet people asd well.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,998 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by temo2001 View Post
I am Probation Officer and Im looking for Interesting Activity for Probationers, Something Creative and Interesting.
Thank you for caring enough to even ask this question. I'm not sure anyone has mentioned that.

I agree that to respond to your question with any degree of creative input, it would be helpful to know a little more about what you mean?

✓ Group or individual activities?
✓ Public/Community service activities?
✓ Any particular skill set or group of skill sets?
✓ Personal Development work or development?
✓ Any limitations or restrictions?

Some "off-the-cuff" ideas without a lot of specifics:

✓ Building/painting sets for local community theatre groups.
✓ Finding a progressive church who host a lot of recovery groups and offering to act as "Hosts" for the folks who use the church.
✓ I had a group of folks marathon watch LOCKUP and write up questions and a study guide to be used by folks in criminal justice classes.
✓ If you have clients who are able to be around children with no issues, offering a supervised "Childcare" option for groups who offer AA/NA/DDA groups. I am NOT generally a kid person, but I've had a blast doing this a couple of times. Way more fun than I ever thought.
✓ Finding out about recovery or hospice places and offering to help with a little painting and upkeep maintenance.
✓ Offering to be guests in a local C/College or Higher Ed place to talk about the criminal justice system.
✓ Same idea as above - putting together a panel group to talk with churches, etc., about the jail/prosecution/probation experience.
✓ Offering to host a booth at local Farmer's Market, Recovery Event, etc., and hand out literature on public safety issues, recovery issues, etc. Find a cop or two who would be willing to help staff the booth if it's around public safety (in my area, I've worked with folks to do this and gotten three or four really awesome LEO's who love to interact and work side by wide with "the gang from the joint" and we've had a blast on projects together).
✓ Writing or making cards for folks in senior living centers...
✓ If you want to be more specific I'm sure there's a lot more ideas floating around...

Regards,

Scott
fbopnomore (09-29-2014), Luvs__iridescent (10-10-2014)