Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:28 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 33,307 Times in 16,653 Posts
Default Questions about the vaccine for Covid-19

Curious. How many will get a vaccine when its available? If not, would a monetary incentive help your decision? If yes, how much? Would 50 dollars do it? 500 dollars? Would tying another stimulus check to getting the vaccine help your decision? Wondering if many opted to get it, would it then be ok to open up places like concert venues, or sporting events, schools provided you could prove you got the vaccine? And would THAT change your mind about getting one if you are normally opposed to vaccines?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2020, 10:43 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,865 Times in 2,294 Posts

I'm leery on vaccines period. I have never gotten a flu shot or anything that wasn't mandated for myself or my kids. Also, when my kids were small I broke up their vaccine schedule to one at a time. I couldn't see a little body fighting multiple viruses, etc at the same time.

I dont know if there has been enough time lapsed to see the effectiveness and/or side effects.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-03-2020), His_Queen13 (11-28-2020), Jacob's Girl (11-28-2020), Ms Sunny (11-28-2020), sidewalker (11-29-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 11:46 AM
attorney

Thanked 22,344 Times in 7,758 Posts

I am more than happy to get the vaccine after some fairly important people get it. I mean, if it is safe enough for the Pope, it is safe enough for me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-03-2020), Ms Sunny (11-28-2020), sidewalker (11-29-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 12:06 PM
Donation Award 

After personally having covid along with my parents and my aunt who passed away from covid last month. I am willing to get the vaccination. The way covid made us feel and I'm in my 20s I never want to experience that again. Right now they are saying they will use emergency vaccinations in nursing homes and to vaccinate correctional workers initial since they are the main places that are spreading covid. I read that they are pushing for another stimulus before December 31. But we will see....
The Following User Says Thank You to Lifetime30 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (11-29-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 01:37 PM

Default Efficacy and sideeffects

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I'm leery on vaccines period. I have never gotten a flu shot or anything that wasn't mandated for myself or my kids. Also, when my kids were small I broke up their vaccine schedule to one at a time. I couldn't see a little body fighting multiple viruses, etc at the same time.

I dont know if there has been enough time lapsed to see the effectiveness and/or side effects.
That is an intelligent statement! I have many vaccines as I was a front line worker and worked in many countries abroad. However, this vaccine is produced quickly due to the pandemic and political pressure. Hence, I would need to see the vaccine on the market for at least a year before I have it. This will make travel difficult, as most countries will request a vaccination before entering the country.

It is not only catching covid but the long term complications from Covid that worries me. Hence, I always wear a mask, isolate as much as possible and do what is humanly possible whilst praying to God to keep me safe. There are many unanswered questions about the vaccine. Will it stop you from catching the virus? Will it stop the spread? Length of time of protection ec. The vaccine alone is not the answer!

Last edited by Esther112014; 11-28-2020 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: grammatical errors
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Esther112014 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-03-2020), Lila_rose (12-05-2020), sidewalker (11-29-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 04:47 PM

I am not getting the vaccine. I have never accepted a bribe and do not intend to start. So no, offering me money or allowing me in certain venues will not change my mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob's Girl For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (11-29-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 09:59 PM
Crazy Cajun Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 19,758 Times in 7,645 Posts

Let the politicians take it first. Let's see how they make out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-03-2020), sidewalker (11-29-2020), TheWrightOne (12-05-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 10:48 PM

I am always nervous about vaccines and usually decline . For the covid vaccine I won’t do it right away . Yesterday my doctor suggested it to me and I asked her if SHE would do it before suggesting it to me , she advised that vaccines can take up to 10 years to be made , studied etc so she won’t be taking it . She will let everyone else try it and then based on how they react in time then she will make an “informed decision” with that being said I don’t think any monetary value would convince me to try it out with the first batch. (I overthink A lot I must admit )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinkstarburst For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-03-2020), Jacob's Girl (12-02-2020), sidewalker (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkstarburst View Post
I am always nervous about vaccines and usually decline . For the covid vaccine I won’t do it right away . Yesterday my doctor suggested it to me and I asked her if SHE would do it before suggesting it to me , she advised that vaccines can take up to 10 years to be made , studied etc so she won’t be taking it . She will let everyone else try it and then based on how they react in time then she will make an “informed decision” with that being said I don’t think any monetary value would convince me to try it out with the first batch. (I overthink A lot I must admit )
I don't mean this against your doctor. I'm sure she's a lovely person and a good doctor, but I do wonder. Would you, as a doctor, prescribe/administer something you wouldn't do yourself? I wouldn't. That's why I'm not a lot of things, including a doctor. Again, this isn't directed towards her specifically, more like a general thought concerning anyone who has the power to administer this or anything else they felt unsafe, like a car salesman with a car with bad brakes, even if he warned the people. But that's a little different, isn't it? They can fix the brakes, right?
Old 12-03-2020, 08:05 AM
Donation Award 

If I am able to get it, I will take it. Due to other medications I take Im not sure if I will be able to take it.
I THINK I will be able to but will discuss with my dr.

It will be interesting to see if this will be one that you need to take every year or every couple of years. Guess time will tell on that

Old 12-03-2020, 10:50 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,847 Times in 2,591 Posts

No I will not. I fight every year to not have to receive the mandatory flu vaccine at work. I will not subject myself to something a few pharmaceutical companies and the government is calling a "vaccine".

I'm concerned about the long-term harm this will do, as opposed to the sacrifice the leadership of the US could have done to reduce the number of infections and deaths during the past year. Instead they chose currency (no surprises) over citizens and their lives.
LifeTraveler (12-04-2020), sidewalker (12-10-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 10:54 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkstarburst View Post
Every physician I've worked with has been very upfront regarding vaccines and medications they would take or give to their families. You'd be surprised the number that do not take what they prescribe nor get many vaccinations.

The fact that they've pushed this through by testing roughly 20% of the world's population in a short period time, is very telling.
sidewalker (12-10-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
Every physician I've worked with has been very upfront regarding vaccines and medications they would take or give to their families. You'd be surprised the number that do not take what they prescribe nor get many vaccinations.

The fact that they've pushed this through by testing roughly 20% of the world's population in a short period time, is very telling.
Wow-that's rare. And great! Wish all doctors were that awesome.
sidewalker (12-10-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther112014 View Post
That is an intelligent statement! I have many vaccines as I was a front line worker and worked in many countries abroad. However, this vaccine is produced quickly due to the pandemic and political pressure. Hence, I would need to see the vaccine on the market for at least a year before I have it. This will make travel difficult, as most countries will request a vaccination before entering the country.

It is not only catching covid but the long term complications from Covid that worries me. Hence, I always wear a mask, isolate as much as possible and do what is humanly possible whilst praying to God to keep me safe. There are many unanswered questions about the vaccine. Will it stop you from catching the virus? Will it stop the spread? Length of time of protection ec. The vaccine alone is not the answer!
Taken out of my thoughts exactly. What she says! I work in the medical field, and I know I am in the first group they want to vaccinate, but nothing can motivate me to take it when it first arrives. Only time and more studies can motivate me. If i see proof it is safe, then shoot me up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lila_rose For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-10-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 03:44 PM

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveler View Post
Let the politicians take it first. Let's see how they make out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheWrightOne For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (12-05-2020), sidewalker (12-10-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 03:47 PM

Agreed. As well as the inventors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTraveler View Post
[
SIZE=3]Let the politicians take it first. Let's see how they make out.[/size]
The Following User Says Thank You to TheWrightOne For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-10-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 04:56 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila_rose View Post
Taken out of my thoughts exactly. What she says! I work in the medical field, and I know I am in the first group they want to vaccinate, but nothing can motivate me to take it when it first arrives. Only time and more studies can motivate me. If i see proof it is safe, then shoot me up.
This week our administrators put out a survey asking how we felt about the vaccine. I believe many hospital systems will weight the cost and whether they're willing to pay for something with so many risks. We've worked for a year not knowing what would be next with this illness, and now a vaccine that's being pushed through without the proper research protocols being taken.

Can you imagine the class action lawsuits in 10-20 years from this vaccine and its outcome?
sidewalker (12-10-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
This week our administrators put out a survey asking how we felt about the vaccine. I believe many hospital systems will weight the cost and whether they're willing to pay for something with so many risks. We've worked for a year not knowing what would be next with this illness, and now a vaccine that's being pushed through without the proper research protocols being taken.

Can you imagine the class action lawsuits in 10-20 years from this vaccine and its outcome?
Vaccine manufacturers are protected from legal recourse against their repercussions:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme...alth-problems/
sidewalker (12-10-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 08:25 AM
Donation Award 

True about them rushing it thru.
But then I think about the older vaccines like for polio, small pox, measles, etc....they have been around for a long long time, and have pretty much been accepted as *they do what they are supposed to do*
Yet people still wont give them to their children.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:45 AM

And so it begins....
Old 12-06-2020, 07:51 PM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob's Girl View Post
Vaccine manufacturers are protected from legal recourse against their repercussions:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme...alth-problems/
I'm not referring to the manufacturers but my employer. But just in case you're not aware of this:

https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccine-compensation/index.html

"The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program is a no-fault alternative to the traditional legal system for resolving vaccine injury petitions.

It was created in the 1980s, after lawsuits against vaccine companies and health care providers threatened to cause vaccine shortages and reduce U.S. vaccination rates, which could have caused a resurgence of vaccine preventable diseases.

Any individual, of any age, who received a covered vaccine and believes he or she was injured as a result, can file a petition. Parents, legal guardians and legal representatives can file on behalf of children, disabled adults, and individuals who are deceased."

When none of the leadership of this country have stepped up to say they are, not "willing" to get the vaccine, I'm not going to rush and be the first. This is just as much political as it is economical.
sidewalker (12-07-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Donation Award 

Smile yes - i would and why -

Today I would say "yes" to a vaccine - Why? I am 53 yo, i have type 2 insulin dependent diabetes, hypertension and will be starting a 27 month stint in BOP camp on 1/5/21. Seeing the reports daily on he COVID outbreaks in the prison system i would take any precaution pre-entry into the system. I do not want to risk a potential death outcome over my white collar crime. I want to serve my 27 months - get out in one piece and get on with my life. So yes give me the damn COVID vaccine today!

On the other hand - if i was not facing a prison sentence i would think a little a differently and wait until i see some results but i am facing a situation where i dont have full control of my life any longer and any precaution is a good option.

all my opinion of course!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 27togo For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (12-10-2020), sidewalker (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 08:15 AM
Donation Award 

meanwhile the daily death toll hits 3100 per day.
Also heard that they are warning those with a significant history of allergic reactions not take it.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/10/healt...day/index.html

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 03:24 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,719 Times in 2,305 Posts

Read this and weep.... there are other ways to do it and I wish the US and also German population wouldn't be so damn hard-headed and down right stupid...
choclgs (12-11-2020), sidewalker (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 12:37 AM
Carolina traveler
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
meanwhile the daily death toll hits 3100 per day.
Also heard that they are warning those with a significant history of allergic reactions not take it.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/10/healt...day/index.html
And the list of those who aren't recommended to receive the vaccine will grow. I fear people will confuse this vaccine in the same way they do a treatment or a cure. There's so much not being shared in popular media.

What caught my attention was Pence saying they removed a lot of red tape to get this vaccine pushed through the way it has.

So if you can remove red tape for this, what's the problem with doing the same for so many other issues in this nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
Read this and weep.... there are other ways to do it and I wish the US and also German population wouldn't be so damn hard-headed and down right stupid...
Many of those in this country would describe what Ms. Wu has as being equally restrictive.

I wish people see what I do at the hospital. It is erry walking the halls to dead silence and not engaging with visitors. When we're told what's happening on the critical care unit, it's even more heartbreaking.

I've grown to understand that the general public doesn't care until it happens to them. I really don't want to see the death toll their predicting but no one's doing anything to prevent it otherwise.
MizzyMuffling (12-11-2020), sidewalker (12-11-2020)