Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 AM
2008momof1's Avatar
2008momof1 2008momof1 is offline
Unity Makes Changes
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Calif
Posts: 345
Thanks: 195
Thanked 403 Times in 101 Posts
Unhappy Parolee Dies in Police Custody

SANTA ANA – Authorities are investigating the death of a parolee who died in the custody of Santa Ana police Wednesday afternoon during a routine parole check

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/d...nesday-custody
__________________
"To Everything there is a Season and a Time to every purpose under Heaven." Ecc 3:1
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-29-2009, 05:15 AM
4real4real 4real4real is offline
HE'S HOME!
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 715
Thanks: 385
Thanked 481 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Good Morning! Clicked the Link saw a list or articles but the one you were referencing to wasn't there??
Quote:
"To Everything there is a Season and a Time to every purpose under Heaven." Ecc 3:1
that's my favorite scripture have a blessed day!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-29-2009, 10:58 AM
2008momof1's Avatar
2008momof1 2008momof1 is offline
Unity Makes Changes
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So Calif
Posts: 345
Thanks: 195
Thanked 403 Times in 101 Posts
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4real4real View Post
Good Morning! Clicked the Link saw a list or articles but the one you were referencing to wasn't there??that's my favorite scripture have a blessed day!

Thank you.. Some scripture just keeps things real.
I'm sorry for the bad link. I click on it and it pops up. Intresting.
__________________
"To Everything there is a Season and a Time to every purpose under Heaven." Ecc 3:1
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-29-2009, 01:04 PM
4real4real 4real4real is offline
HE'S HOME!
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 715
Thanks: 385
Thanked 481 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Oh well...just tried it again it ain't working for me, I'm on my Mobile - gosh darn it. However I did discover that Marie Callendar has her pies on sale from today until 6/30...lol...but yum yum. I'm heading up to Krogers very soon. Have a Flawless Weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
tvwright01 tvwright01 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 9
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

the link is working fine for me

the article doesn't say much, just that they're investigating the cause of death. i wonder what happened to this guy. i read a few of the comments under it and most those people are ignorant and filled with hate
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-2009, 05:22 PM
FreeZee FreeZee is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 43
Thanks: 6
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default Inmate (Marcia Powell 48) at Arizona's Perryville Prison died early the morning of Ma

About 200 people packed the pews at Encanto Community Church today at noon for a memorial service for Marcia Powell, the 48-year-old inmate at Goodyear's Perryville Prison who died early the morning of May 20. This was following her confinement the day before in an outdoor cage where she endured temperatures of more than 107 degrees for at least four hours before collapsing.



http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bas..._marcia_po.php

http://www.kpho.com/news/19639308/detail.html
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2009, 05:23 PM
FreeZee FreeZee is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 43
Thanks: 6
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default Marcia Powell

Help find relatives of Marcia Powell
Please pass along to everyone to possibly find Marcia Powells family. They could be anywhere, in any State.

Marcia Powell (48 yrs old) was captive in the care of Arizona DOC who had a responsibility to respect and preserve her life and they failed her. She was diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Powell had once told court officials she ran away from home when she was 15 years old. She recently died in AZ at the age of 48 and no family members have come forward to claim her.

Please pass this story around the Nation, perhaps she has some family out there somewhere that never knew where she was or what happened to her after all these years. Several links are attached. If you don't feel comfortable opening the links you can do an Internet Search for Marcia Powell Phoenix. Please pass along this email in the hopes that some family will finally know what happened to Marcia Powell who ran away at 15 years old.



Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FreeZee For This Useful Post:
mrs.grumps (06-04-2009)
  #8  
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 PM
cornered cornered is offline
Alferd Packer fan
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UT-US
Posts: 2,065
Thanks: 1,011
Thanked 1,033 Times in 597 Posts
Default

Those worthless murderous bastards.....

__________________
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel

Last edited by cornered; 06-03-2009 at 11:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-04-2009, 12:25 PM
FreeZee FreeZee is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 43
Thanks: 6
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

The Arizona Department of Corrections has discontinued the use of outdoor holding cells following the death of an inmate in triple-digit heat.

Corrections spokesman Barrett Marson said in an e-mail Tuesday that the decision came after consulting with Gov. Jan Brewer's office. He declined to explain the decision or elaborate on discussions with her office, saying Corrections Director Charles Ryan would answer questions on Wednesday.

Brewer spokesman Paul Senseman said late Tuesday that "the governor made a judgment that she didn't desire this usage."

"It's certainly to prevent any future exposure out in the elements," he said, adding that Brewer believes indoor cells would be a good replacement for the outdoor ones.


The corrections department had said last week that it would continue using the cells once they were retrofitted to provide shade and water.

Marcia Powell, 48, died from heat-related complications hours after she collapsed May 19 in an uncovered outdoor cell. She had been in the cell for nearly four hours despite a prison policy saying inmates should be removed after two hours.

Ryan has said Powell's cell was 20 yards from a control room from where officers were supposed to be watching her. Three prison employees were suspended pending a criminal investigation by the corrections department.

The chain-link holding cells were used to house inmates being transferred between various sections of the prison. Powell was placed in one at the Perryville prison in Goodyear after seeing a psychologist.

She had been serving a 27-month sentence for prostitution. It was the latest in a string of felony convictions that left Powell in jail or prison for most of the past decade, according to court documents.

Records show she had a history of drug abuse and mental illness, including diagnoses for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Powell told court officials she ran away from home when she was 15 years old.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-04-2009, 07:23 PM
FriscoLady's Avatar
FriscoLady FriscoLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out there somewhere
Posts: 9,629
Thanks: 2,289
Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,088 Posts
Default

I am trying to word my response here so that it does not sound like I am advocating vigilantism against CO's and other correction officials that do not take the proper care of those in there charge.

I know that many inmates do not have family that care and those that do, do not have the financial means to fight the system for justice for their loved one's harmed or murdered by the system. And that is a pity for the system certainly does not give a damn for those in it's charge. Some CO's and other officials do I know, however not enough.

My parents particularly my Dad made it quite clear all during my life, and those of my sisters that we had to deal with the consequences of our actions both good and bad. He also made it quite clear that if any harm came to us not of our cause, that he would do whatever it took to bring down those that harmed us, whatever he had to do. His wrath would match the harm that was done to us. So I know past positive that if anything had happened to me during my incarceration, that if the law did not punish, he would have - equal to what was done to me.

All I am asking here, is this: If the law is not going to protect all that are in this supposed civilized nation of ours - that includes inmates from being mistreated by those charged with keeping them in prison; then what other recourse is there?

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 06-04-2009 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
cornered cornered is offline
Alferd Packer fan
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UT-US
Posts: 2,065
Thanks: 1,011
Thanked 1,033 Times in 597 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoLady View Post
I am trying to word my response here so that it does not sound like I am advocating vigilantism against CO's and other correction officials that do not take the proper care of those in there charge.
Which is why I either heavily edit some of my responses or don't respond at all. You won't advocate vigilantism against CO's and other correction officials. I will. Guilty is guilty.

Do what they want to me, I don't care. But they will. Someday I'm gonna walk.

And I will remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoLady View Post
I know that many inmates do not have family that care and those that do, do not have the financial means to fight the system for justice for their loved one's harmed or murdered by the system. And that is a pity for the system certainly does not give a damn for those in it's charge. Some CO's and other officials do I know, however not enough.
I wish there was something I could do to help them, but all I can do is write them. Even then I am not very good at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoLady View Post
My parents particularly my Dad made it quite clear all during my life, and those of my sisters that we had to deal with the consequences of our actions both good and bad. He also made it quite clear that if any harm came to us not of our cause, that he would do whatever it took to bring down those that harmed us, whatever he had to do. His wrath would match the harm that was done to us.
You are my friend. If it happens to you baby doll......


Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoLady View Post
All I am asking here, is this: If the law is not going to protect all that are in this supposed civilized nation of ours - that includes inmates from being mistreated by those charged with keeping them in prison; then what other recourse is there?

Patti
I'll save it for PM.
__________________
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cornered For This Useful Post:
FriscoLady (06-05-2009)
  #12  
Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 AM
FreeZee FreeZee is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 43
Thanks: 6
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default Marcia Powell Did Have Next of Kin

Marcia Powell Did Have Next of Kin. Marcia Powells Family has been found.http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bas...ve_next_of.php

Last edited by FreeZee; 06-08-2009 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Whatisit Whatisit is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoLady View Post
I am trying to word my response here so that it does not sound like I am advocating vigilantism against CO's and other correction officials that do not take the proper care of those in there charge.

I know that many inmates do not have family that care and those that do, do not have the financial means to fight the system for justice for their loved one's harmed or murdered by the system. And that is a pity for the system certainly does not give a damn for those in it's charge. Some CO's and other officials do I know, however not enough.

My parents particularly my Dad made it quite clear all during my life, and those of my sisters that we had to deal with the consequences of our actions both good and bad. He also made it quite clear that if any harm came to us not of our cause, that he would do whatever it took to bring down those that harmed us, whatever he had to do. His wrath would match the harm that was done to us. So I know past positive that if anything had happened to me during my incarceration, that if the law did not punish, he would have - equal to what was done to me.

All I am asking here, is this: If the law is not going to protect all that are in this supposed civilized nation of ours - that includes inmates from being mistreated by those charged with keeping them in prison; then what other recourse is there?

Patti
Good post. I ask you this. This lady had serious mental illness and was serving two years for prostitution. A crime most consider minimal. For this, she was basically sentenced to die and die a horrible death at the hands of the prison staff caring for her. What crime is worse? Those who have absolute power and control over other human beings who abuse that power to the point it causes the death of another human? Or, the lady who had sex for money and was mentally ill most all her life?

This is such a sad story. My guess is she was an abused child and lived a life of hell and this was the way it had to end for her?

I have all the respect for anyone who works as a CO. Their jobs are tough, thankless and often dangerous. But this does not give anyone the right to stand silent while another human dies a horrible death by their cause.

If you run into the grocery story in Arizona for five minutes and leave your dog in the car, there will be no less then a dozen people calling the police on you. You will be arrested and go to jail. Even if the dog was fine.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whatisit For This Useful Post:
FriscoLady (06-08-2009)
  #14  
Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
FriscoLady's Avatar
FriscoLady FriscoLady is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Out there somewhere
Posts: 9,629
Thanks: 2,289
Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,088 Posts
Default

I was in the military for 20 years, and a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) with the military for a number of those years. Drug enforcement mostly, boarding ships, searching ships, trapzing through the jungles of Columbia and elsewhere, in the Persian Gulf during the first war, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum.

I have nothing but respect for good LEOs COs included. The bad ones, dishonest ones, cruel ones I have nothing but disrespect and contempt for.

The latter Officer's I would not raise a finger to help if they were dying in the street or the yard.

The problem has become that we are a nation of sheeple, tell us to do it we will do it - no questions asked. No wonder my German born (I was too, but they remember the period I am about to mention) parents say that the American people of today are no different than the German people of the 1930s and 40s. Lemmings ready to do what the boss man tells them to do.

Nor in my opinion (or my parents) is our government much different in attitude towards it's citizens than Hitler's was then.

I was thinking about this as we moved from Virginia to California last month, I can promise you that in that trip there was more than one law we violated in route - unknowingly and unintentionally. But not knowing the law is not an excuse.

Somehow, someway, we must make our politicians responsible for the stupid laws that they pass. We must also make the LEO's responsible for their actions, whether on the street, or a CO in charge of our loved one's in prison.

We the citizens must remember WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT AND RULE THE GOVERNMENT. Not the government ruling us. As was stated succinctly by one of the Founding Fathers: (paraphrase) "It is we the citizens that the government must fear, not we (fear) the government.".

Though at the time it did not give me much consolation at the time, it does now, that if any thing had happened to me during my time of incarceration - if the system did not take care of business my Dad, or my ex-husband would have.

I don't know how I would have felt about that if it had happened, but I do believe that it is far past time that LEO's, politicians, etc., are held accountable for their actions by someone.

As for the people that would call on the dog owner in your last example, they in my opinion are no better than the Germans that turned in their neighbors that were Jewish, Gypsy, etc., etc.. They are scum in my opinion.

As an animal lover they would have gotten a heftly lecture by me, however I will not snitch on anyone. They may have even gotten a broken car window so I could care for the animal if I could not find the vehicle owner - then I would have problems, however snitching would not be one of them.

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 06-08-2009 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Whatisit Whatisit is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoLady View Post
I was in the military for 20 years, and a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) with the military for a number of those years. Drug enforcement mostly, boarding ships, searching ships, trapzing through the jungles of Columbia and elsewhere, in the Persian Gulf during the first war, etc., etc., etc., ad infinitum.

I have nothing but respect for good LEOs COs included. The bad ones, dishonest ones, cruel ones I have nothing but disrespect and contempt for.

The latter Officer's I would not raise a finger to help if they were dying in the street or the yard.

The problem has become that we are a nation of sheeple, tell us to do it we will do it - no questions asked. No wonder my German born (I was too, but they remember the period I am about to mention) parents say that the American people of today are no different than the German people of the 1930s and 40s. Lemmings ready to do what the boss man tells them to do.

Nor in my opinion (or my parents) is our government much different in attitude towards it's citizens than Hitler's was then.

I was thinking about this as we moved from Virginia to California last month, I can promise you that in that trip there was more than one law we violated in route - unknowingly and unintentionally. But not knowing the law is not an excuse.

Somehow, someway, we must make our politicians responsible for the stupid laws that they pass. We must also make the LEO's responsible for their actions, whether on the street, or a CO in charge of our loved one's in prison.

We the citizens must remember WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT AND RULE THE GOVERNMENT. Not the government ruling us. As was stated succinctly by one of the Founding Fathers: (paraphrase) "It is we the citizens that the government must fear, not we (fear) the government.".

Though at the time it did not give me much consolation at the time, it does now, that if any thing had happened to me during my time of incarceration - if the system did not take care of business my Dad, or my ex-husband would have.

I don't know how I would have felt about that if it had happened, but I do believe that it is far past time that LEO's, politicians, etc., are held accountable for their actions by someone.

As for the people that would call on the dog owner in your last example, they in my opinion are no better than the Germans that turned in their neighbors that were Jewish, Gypsy, etc., etc.. They are scum in my opinion.

As an animal lover they would have gotten a heftly lecture by me, however I will not snitch on anyone. They may have even gotten a broken car window so I could care for the animal if I could not find the vehicle owner - then I would have problems, however snitching would not be one of them.

Patti
I agree with everything you said here. We have become a country that trembles in fear of the government, no doubt. Respect is one thing, but fear is not American in my opinion. When I read all the stories here, it really opens my eyes. Yes, most have done things wrong, most are paying for those wrongs, but to what extent? When I read about how the Federal government has a 97% conviction rate, that just seems wrong to me. When we know 11% of people in prison are totally innocent. When we have people taking deals or pleas because they are being railroaded by their own government, this is so wrong.

Why does it have to be all of them on one side and everyone else on the other? Why can't there be decency and fairness with our laws? Why does one person get 6 months, or probation and the next person gets 10 years for the same crime?

Yes, we should always respect the government and know if we screw up we will pay, but it should be fair and balanced.

There are way too many laws in this country anymore and more being written all the time. Most of these laws are very confusing to the common man. But if we step across that line, oh boy, big daddy is there to let you have it.

I do respect the government and law enforcement and always do my best to obey the laws. Today I really think we are becoming citizens who are shifting respect to all out fear of them, and this is sad.

Now may I have my cheese with this wine?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics