Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Legal Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Legal Information Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to Florida. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 07-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Always keep your promises
Donation Award 

Exclamation They beat him up and he's in the hospital, I need attorney

I'm literally driving to the Panhandle now from Jacksonville. I need an attorney to help us. We were supposed to get married this morning, he's black and I'm white, we've been together 23 years. We were the recipients of racism this weekend and they beat the crap out of him this morning. When I arrived I was told he's in confinement and later I was told he was transferred. No one told me that he is in the hospital and I'm listed as his next of kin. Inmates called me and said that the major swung on my fiancé first and when my fiancé defended himself the other officers jumped on him and beat him down and that you can't recognize him. I need help please.
I_Enjoy_Encouraging_Others (01-30-2016), WhoDatFamily (05-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2015, 07:25 PM

I am so sad to hear that your man is in the hospital. I know that it can be frustrating trying to get information but I think that it is only going to get harder. Especially since the report is that his injuries were caused by the staff. I hope that you are able to wade through all of the bureaucracy and get tot he bottom of it. I am not sure even if you get an attorney you will get anywhere. As the prison is the one that would be conducting any investigation they are probably not going to write a report that puts them at fault. Sad as it is that is the truth, so I wish you luck and hope that your fiance recovers, completely and quickly.

Praying for both of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heartofgold1968 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 07:27 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,190 Times in 15,226 Posts

Oh Honey!! I am soooo sorry I hope he's ok. I'm sending positive energy to you both.

I'll also move your thread to Florida Legal....

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,417 Posts

Lord help us all.

I'm so sorry. I know what you are going through. Marty had the similar experience at Taylor CI. He went to the hospital with a broke jaw, nose, ribs and punctured lung. His knees were so messed up from them forcing him to kneel on a pebble mat while they beat him down on it he had PT at Zephyrhills for 6 months after he was released from the hospital. We heard nothing until he called a few weeks later, except for the guys families calling us....They are only required to notify you if it's life or death, be very thankful you didn't get a phone call.

Get statements from the prisoners that witnessed the ordeal. I'd email the Warden and let him know under no circumstances is he to be taken back to that prison. Then, let him know when it's all said and done you will be requesting copies of tapes, reports and anything else that goes along with the investigation. However, if a Major swung first, it's almost a guarantee it was where no cameras were, so don't be surprised.

Please be as professional and to the point as possible. And, when you tell them what happened this past weekend, state the facts, just the facts and nothing else. Since this is so bad, I might even copy the Regional Director. This is just too close to take a chance on something worse happening.

I don't know of an attorney for this kind of thing, Marty does his own. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge in that area will be along before too long.

Please let us know how it goes...

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anjewel For This Useful Post:
kirstyenarno (07-21-2015), patchouli (07-13-2015), xolady (08-09-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Tiny Moderator

I am so sorry to hear this. Please, please, please take care of you during all of this. Seriously, be sure to eat, hydrate, take good physical care - Because you will want to have all your wits and strength as you cope and support your love! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers
patchouli (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 09:37 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I've been very professional during this, they have absolutely no idea who they are dealing with. I am a paralegal and worked for the attorney general in Washington for years, so I have much experience with professionalism. I've found two attorneys in the prison area that are very good civil rights attorneys. I'm meeting with them first thing in the a.m. I'm definitely asking for copies of tapes, my baby told me this weekend that they just installed cameras all over, in every corner. So I'm hoping everything was caught on tape. I'm only getting an attorney so they can help me understand our rights and so that maybe the attorney can just see him, I just want someone other than a DOC employee to tell me that he is OK. And now they are covering up their tracks, THAT is why they don't notify people, so they have plenty time to cover everything up. How evil do people have to be?
Old 07-14-2015, 06:06 AM

Thanked 11,061 Times in 5,992 Posts

Since you indicate you have worked with counsel, you should already know then that the tapes will likely not be released through an Open Records request until ALL investigations or prosecutions are completed. And litigation would not survive an MSJ if ALL of the administrative remedies have not yet been exhausted (and since this just happened, it can safely be presumed that he has not exhausted all of those avenues).

You also need to be aware of the very real potential for him to be facing free-world charges. His claim that it was self-defense would be a defense that requires him to testify at trial, which also means all of his prior conduct comes into the jury box. And even if the Major did swing first, juries rarely run with an affirmative defense when an offender retaliates...
Old 07-21-2015, 11:14 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,167 Posts

I am so sorry that this happened. I seems some people have problems seeing others as created in the image of God and equal in his eyes.
I hope you can get some degree of justice if for no other reason than sending a message that this conduct is no longer acceptable.
Remember that when dealing with prison, they hold the 'cards" so to speak (if for no other reason than the fact that they have your loved one).
The post above is good to read again.
God be with you both and prayers for a swift recovery and vindication.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you! I am in better spirits today. Every single state and federal agency that can possibly be investigating this, is. And I didn't even have to call them. Real justice is being sought. I'm so at peace today. Although I'm told the investigation will be lengthy so in the meantime he will remain in maximum management (highest security and least rights).
Old 07-22-2015, 12:17 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencrys View Post
Thank you! I am in better spirits today. Every single state and federal agency that can possibly be investigating this, is. And I didn't even have to call them. Real justice is being sought. I'm so at peace today. Although I'm told the investigation will be lengthy so in the meantime he will remain in maximum management (highest security and least rights).
We always deal with max. and it isn't fun but perhaps some justice will be done in the end.I'm gald your feeling better today and hope he is too.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,417 Posts

Jencrys, what is maximum management here in Florida? Can you visit or at least speak to him?

I don't doubt it exists, I'm just not familiar.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
Old 07-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,386 Times in 6,953 Posts

What a nightmare.

As a recent bride I can't imagine having the day I was suppose to marry my husband turn into something like this. I hope you're able to see/speak with him soon.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Donation Award 

Maximum Management is extremely restricted. Absolutely no visits or phone calls except legal for 9-36 months. You get 2 hours of outdoors after your first 60 days. You are allowed to receive and send personal correspondence, but you are not allowed to purchase correspondence supplies (paper, envelopes, and stamps). When he gets out of max then he will go to close management whic will last about 12 months and he can get one 2-hour visit every 30 days and one 15 minute phone call every 30 days. Hopefully we can prove his innocence and he will be removed from the high security.
Anjewel (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 PM

Default Go higher

Nothing moves the DOC like a congressional investigation. I urge you to contact your state senator, your state representative and schedule a meeting face-to-face. Senator Greg Evers heads the Florida Dept of Criminal Affairs committee and has been known to drop in on some prisons. Also contact Miami Herald reporters who do the excellent reporting on the Florida prison system. You might be surprised how quickly everything clears up once a politician or journalist focuses on them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laki For This Useful Post:
Anjewel (07-22-2015), Charlie's Mom (08-09-2015), Dustinthewind (05-05-2016), netherspite (09-17-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you!
Old 07-24-2015, 08:15 PM

that reporter in Miami is Julie Brown you really should contact her she is an incredibly talented reporter. she makes a lot of noise when things like this happen. have you retained an attorney or are you having other state agencies investigate? this is a horrible thing to happen and I hope you get some justice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roxydavishere For This Useful Post:
Anjewel (07-28-2015), Dustinthewind (05-05-2016)
Old 07-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Donation Award 

The Federal Bureau of Investigations, U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney's Office, Florida Department of Law Enforcement, and Florida Office of Inspector General are all investigating/involved. The compassion we are experiencing is surreal. I'd share more, but am told I need to keep my mouth shut.

I would encourage anyone in an excessive force situation to go to your FBI Field office and file a civil rights complaint. The Feds are cracking down on prisons.
Dustinthewind (05-05-2016), miamac (07-24-2015), xolady (08-09-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Donation Award 

Mary Ellen Klas is the Bureau Chief for the Miami Herald. Like Julie Brown, she brought a lot of the horrors of the FDOC into the light of day. Our problems aren't nearly as extreme as yours, but she still got back in touch with me within an hour of sending her an email. Her email is meklas@miamiherald.com

I wish you the best of luck and truly hope you'll find the best possible outcome.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sugar_Foot For This Useful Post:
Anjewel (07-28-2015), Dustinthewind (05-05-2016), xolady (08-09-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 PM
Donation Award 

This is a pretty good article, informative, about the DOJ cracking down on the Florida Prison system. http://fcir.org/2014/12/19/feds-migh...ridas-prisons/
Charlie's Mom (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 04:32 AM

Was this apalachee ci west? They just put my husband there and he has already heard about it. They moved over 200 inmates out, so hubby got picked to move in. I am praying for you.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:04 AM

Thanked 5,959 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
This is a pretty good article, informative, about the DOJ cracking down on the Florida Prison system. http://fcir.org/2014/12/19/feds-migh...ridas-prisons/
Hey Jenscrys I'm so sorry to hear this stuff. I hope and pray you get some help for him. I do know what its like trying to just get decent medical care. Just be aware that you need to get names and contact info for all witnesses because as someone else pointed out they will transfer everyone who was within range of the incident this is so no one can be a witness. Hang in there its going to take a long time but hopefully you will prevail.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Charlie's Mom (08-09-2015), Dustinthewind (05-05-2016), WhoDatFamily (05-09-2016)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:31 PM

Please check private messages, they have my husband now and I don't know who can help.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Donation Award 

For some reason I stopped receiving updates. Thank you for the continued support and I checked and replied to private messages.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Donation Award 

Default We Seriously Need Justice within the FDC!

Quote:
For some reason I stopped receiving updates. Thank you for the continued support and I checked and replied to private messages.

I hope you have gotten some justice in this situation and that you never give up on doing what it takes to see those in the wrong face punishment. It has been hell for me and mine, mostly because the lack of funding makes it impossible for these people to pin-point the trouble makers and deal with them accordingly, but also in part because I came back into his life not willing to allow these sick bastards to treat a non-violent man, who is consistently trying to better his life, just any kind of way.

I've had to learn a lot and change some of my tactics, but I will never give up in my efforts to see this completely defunct system changed. I hope everyone who reads these posts who are afraid to speak out will realize that these people are sick and you don't even have to do or say anything to become their victim. Therefore, fighting to get them out of the FDC, anonymously if need be, is a better bet in the long run. It took a lot of people being willing to stand up and risk retribution to get the stories out which prompted the Senate Justice Committee to be tasked with seeing that changes are made. Just like all other great changes in this country (women's/civil rights being the best example) it requires the efforts and sacrifice of many.

Sorry. I didn't intend to go of on a spiel like that jencrys. I truly wish the best for you and yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sugar_Foot For This Useful Post:
Dustinthewind (05-05-2016)
Old 10-28-2015, 11:42 AM

If you are listed as his next of kin and he signed a HIPAA form, you may be able to call the hospital and get information from one of the hospital staff. During my man's first bid, he got into a fight and got stabbed; and my phone call actually came from one of the nurses. She couldn't tell me exactly what happened; but she was able to tell me that he was stable and when I asked if I could see him, she said that she would let me see him if I could get there before her shift was over. I know the CO assigned to stand guard over him wasn't pleased; but if you get good hospital staff, they will trump what the CO's says. I wasn't able to stay in his room the entire night; but they did find a spot in another room for me stay and I was able to check on him periodically.