Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

View Poll Results: How long has your loved one been in the SHU? If they've changed, how?
1 day - 3 months 61 33.15%
3 months - 12 months 45 24.46%
12 months - 2 years 19 10.33%
2 years + 54 29.35%
Theyre moodier or more argumentative than normal. 29 15.76%
Theyre pretty much the same. 31 16.85%
Theyre happier... wanting the rest! 11 5.98%
Other... Please give details 19 10.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2009, 10:11 PM
faith, hope and love

Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,317 Posts

It should be against the law and stopped!!!

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Sol...90324-708.html

"THOSE WHO DESERVE LOVE LEAST NEED IT THE MOST"
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 PM
spiritnsoul

Default In SHU for no fault..

My son also had inmates assault him. Easy target ,Did not defend himself. Short stature, Non american. Sent to the shoe, without defending himself. Investigator took a month to review his case because of a backlog .. Finally he was out after nearly two months-- for one night only , and then again attacked and back in the SHU.Why is it that the victims get put into the shoe with the attackers? Is that fair? What about the mental and psychological damage to the innocent one in the incident? How long do they have the right to keep him there without him having done anything wrong? . dont know what to do, any suggestions will be very welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston5304 View Post
My fiance was just sentenced ito 54 months for illegal reentry in n May 2005, transferred to FTC OK in route to assigned BOP Facility Big Spring TX FCI a low minimum security facility. First night, I mean the FIRST night upon arrival, was taken to dorm assigned where 5 0r more inmates jumped him and badly beat him. He stated they don't like people from California. Huh?

So his letter says they are locked in cells 24/7 and could stay there for up to 16 months? Return address in not like others, FCI Seagoville, FTC Oklahoma City. Rather it is Cedar Hall SHU III, Big Spring TX??

I am not only scared, angry but confused? Why isn't he in a FCI like originally decided by BOP? Was he put here for protection? What is a SHU, I've never heard of such. And if he isn't safe here due to such gangs, why can't we get him transferred. Isn't it the BOP's responsibility to at least provide safety? Maybe instead of being so watchful of inmate visitation personal contact which is loving, they should spend more time watching inmates personal contact with other inmates which is hateful.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:15 AM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

It seems like the SHU is a reflection of prisons inability to maintain adequate control of the inmates. Overcrowding and racial / ethnic gangs are the biggest contributors to the excessive violence. Locking offenders in the SHU for belonging to a gang or holding victims of assaults in the SHU until they rat out people only creates bigger problems. If they get out of the SHU quickly inmates will think that they have ratted them out and they will go after him again. If an inmate feels his life is in danger he gets put in the SHU for PC.
The California riots and gang wars suggest it is time to build prisons based on segregation. White prisons, black prisons, gang prisons etc. Since there is too much violence when housed together in the same prison, perhaps it is time for separate prisons to reduce the violence.
Medical studies have shown that long periods in the SHU has had adverse effects on the inmates. Do the conditions amount to Cruel & Unusual Punishment? I think so. But a court will be needed to declare that.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:08 AM
G'z Sweetstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritnsoul View Post
My son also had inmates assault him. Easy target ,Did not defend himself. Short stature, Non american. Sent to the shoe, without defending himself. Investigator took a month to review his case because of a backlog .. Finally he was out after nearly two months-- for one night only , and then again attacked and back in the SHU.Why is it that the victims get put into the shoe with the attackers? Is that fair? What about the mental and psychological damage to the innocent one in the incident? How long do they have the right to keep him there without him having done anything wrong? . dont know what to do, any suggestions will be very welcome.
Right now, the SHU is the safest place for him to be and that is the number one concern. Chances are he will be placed in an SNY or special needs yard. His counselor should have this in the works, if not he needs to request it. It is unfair he is the one being punished, but like I said at least he is safe. As for the attacker, I am sure he will have a long SHU sentence, at least in California that is how it works. As for mental and psychological damage, you can support him by sending books, magazine subscriptions, spirituality support, and the most important, lots of letters. My fiance has been in the SHU for 10 years and is surprisingly positive, so all is not lost. However it is up to your son to persevere and overcome the circumstances. I hope these words helped, stay strong.
The Following User Says Thank You to desertmoonwoman For This Useful Post:
celamar56 (01-13-2011)
Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 AM

Default Shu

Quote:
Originally Posted by citalove2 View Post
my husband just started he shu time we have to do 3 yrs .hes in southport
My husband was just sent to Southport SHU last week. Are the visitis on a last name schedule for Saturday and Sunday? I know at his previous facility there were alternate visits according to the beginning of your last name.

Any information you have will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

You would have to ask that question in the state forum where his prison is located.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:11 PM

I guess that I should've read a bit further back into the threads because I think that this just became my friend's situation, so I posted a thread earlier asking about the Special Housing Unit. I don't even know what to say.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:23 AM

My baby has been in the SHU for 4 months now and was in the hole for 5 months before that. He got an indeterminate SHU sentence. He will probably parole from there in 8 months if he beats the 115 they are trying to charge him with. All I can do is pray...
Old 12-18-2010, 03:18 PM

My husband's been in the SHU for 2 years and will be there for another 12 months or so. He's a validated prisoner so he will do all of his time in the SHU. Just write lots of letters and send lots of reading material to keep their minds strong..
Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Question Worried beyond

My brother was sent to a level one prison. He has paranoid schizophrenia. After a couple days, the prison moved him to level 3 for wandering and non-compliance.
At this point, my brother was off antipsychotic meds for about 2 months. The prison psychatrist gave him a diagnosis of paranoid personality disorder and said that he does not need meds. My brother has been on meds for over 20 years. When he has been off meds for short periods of time, he degenerates very quickly into a paranoid state with delusions and intense anxiety. He completely loses touch with reality.
We have talked to the psychologist and other people at the prison. They will not treat him for his illness. He went into the DOC in June. He wrote 4 letters the first week. The last letter said that he would call when he arrived at the prison. He ended up being at the diagnostic center for an additional month.
Since the last letter in July, we have not received any communication from him. We have sent many letters with return postage but have not received any letters in return.
It has been 6 months since we have seen or heard from my brother. We are panicked. A lawyer was able to see him in the beginning of December. He said that my brother was totally out of touch with reality and unable to speak coherently. He was in ad seg at that time. He is still in ad seg and has had his release date changed with time added. We asked the prison why he got into trouble and they said that they could not tell us.
I have written letters, called, emailed. The prison said that my brother has to approve his family to be on his visitor list. Another inmate sent a note saying that my brother told him 3 months ago that he didn't have any family. The other inmate said that he is so mentally ill that he doesn't make any sense and that we need to advocate to get him treatment.
I'm afraid that he is not going to make it.
The prison said that he didn't want anyone on his emergency list. This doesn't make sense. My brother is extremely close to our father and to me. He is in contact with my father every day.
I don't understand. He went to the level one. He was moved to level 3, then put in ad seg. He had a class d theft charge, nothing else, first time in the system. He is being punished for his mental illness.
Does anyone have other ideas? The prison won't help. The attorneys said they ran up against wording that an employee of the DOC has to say that he needs the psych help.
I'm so afraid for him.

Last edited by missubrother; 01-02-2011 at 07:58 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to missubrother For This Useful Post:
Lovin*my*Mouse (12-18-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Thanked 1,903 Times in 891 Posts

Mine is indeterminate, they really have no choice but to acclimate to the situation and make the best of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nice View Post
I was wondering how many of us on here have a loved one in the SHU, whether it be Disaplinary Segregation or Administrative Segregation????

My man got into a fight in April. He did 30 days D/S. There is a seperatees placed on him and the guy he got in a fight with. The guy went out onto the compound again and he got placed in Ad. Seg. He got into some trouble with an officer and is now back in D/S!

Since he's been in the SHU, i have noticed a huge strain on our relationship. He is very moody and even more depressed than normal. We tend o argue a little more than we used to and his whole attitude to life has changed again. It is like we have taken two steps backwards.
Theyre saying that he could be in there for 10-24 months, but i dont think he is going to survive that long!! The region keeps rejecting his transfer.

How have all of you coped with your loved one being in the SHU? How long has he or she been there? How long have they got to go before theyre able to go out on the compound? How has it affected them and you?

I guess i'd just like you to share your stories and thoughts.

Tracey x

Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Always Us Never Them!

Yes my hubby just went back to shu for 18mos and its killing me he only been in gp for only a 1 1/2yrs and they made false accusation they said me and him was doing gang activity in the world when my hubby ask them to show him the evidence he was suppose to send me the envelope was empty and then he ask them can he call me for a witness they denied it saying that we just seen each other the day before what did that matter if they saying i the one helping him why couldnt i defend myself and my hubby,so they gave him 18 mos without no evidence n we was so close to our family visit now they talking about taking them away so not fair.Now i havent seen my hubby in 3 1/2 wks and now when i do go see him no kissing,no hugging and i have to see him chain up and behind glass
Old 07-28-2011, 01:04 AM
G'z Sweetstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaney&jo View Post
Yes my hubby just went back to shu for 18mos and its killing me he only been in gp for only a 1 1/2yrs and they made false accusation they said me and him was doing gang activity in the world when my hubby ask them to show him the evidence he was suppose to send me the envelope was empty and then he ask them can he call me for a witness they denied it saying that we just seen each other the day before what did that matter if they saying i the one helping him why couldnt i defend myself and my hubby,so they gave him 18 mos without no evidence n we was so close to our family visit now they talking about taking them away so not fair.Now i havent seen my hubby in 3 1/2 wks and now when i do go see him no kissing,no hugging and i have to see him chain up and behind glass
If it makes you feel better, in CA SHU terms are 6 years and are reevaluated then. If new evidence is introduced you get another 6 years. The only way out is to snitch or die. That is why CA had the Hunger Strike.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 PM

Default Shu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayton View Post
I believe it is Secured Housing Unit, where they put the problems that can't get along in general population, or have gang affiliation, any number of problems with the prison system.
my boyfriend is in SHU due a previous conviction. He has his own cell - a shrine to me, our friends and our dog, Jazzie he says, (his proudest being to show off my paralegal degree to COs that he has a copy of....I've fought for him on several internal issues w the SCI and done well)

Hopefully Pennsylvania is looking at a Prison Sentence Bill where as he has less than 18 months and will have served over half his sentence to date- Has done 29 of 48 months-, if passed he will potentially be home in FEBRUARY !!!!!

My writing and books keep him going.

He just did 30 days in the hole for going into a restricted area. If this small stint is what the other facilities have as normal...this is cruel & unusual punishment. He was starting to lose it. He wrote me once at first to tell me what was going on. Then he wrote me a letter that told me he didnt want to be with me, etc ....I sat and cried for 2 days. Then he got out and called to say he was stressed and forget what he sent. I told him lean on me!~~~~ don't push me away.

I write him DAILY. He got 20 letter of lyrics, letters, pictures, articles etc just in one day. He said all the guys were like this girl loves you-

I've learned alot here as I am MWI and hopefully ending the end of this stage and entering our life together-he has asked me to marry him !!!! I wont hold my breath until he is here. ...I have friends who have high positions who are setting up a network for him.

One thing I learned here is to show him everything- get a new pocketbook - send him a pic. I sent him pics of all the friends who he will be gaining in a couple months hopefully. I've been babysitting and taking tons of pics to send to him. bought a 2nd new car- his favorite color purple- and sent him pics- named it after his saying Eric & Becca= Storm Warning- so the car is Storm Warning ( the first -bought a couple months before is Fighting Angel after the tatoo on his back)

Sorry@! I just love talking about him!

Just love your man! no matter where they are pictures, letters etc are a savior!!!

I love Eric.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:50 AM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

My guy has been in the SHU for 6 years, and has 5 more years to do of the SHU term. He seems to handle it pretty well considering, although did warn me when we first started writing was that he can be pretty moody.

I'm just glad I can be a bright spot in his day!
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 PM

My hubby is finishing his SHU term on christmas EVE! But unfortunately has been transferred from a med fac to a max fac were most likely he will CR from there. The Max hes in is a disciplinary Fac meaning.punishment & beatings all day every day. I hope n pray to God he keeps him under his wings n returns him home safely :/
Old 12-18-2011, 01:54 AM

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeJoe
My hubby is finishing his SHU term on christmas EVE! But unfortunately has been transferred from a med fac to a max fac were most likely he will CR from there. The Max hes in is a disciplinary Fac meaning.punishment & beatings all day every day. I hope n pray to God he keeps him under his wings n returns him home safely :/
They beat him!?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:11 AM
in it 4 eternity

my papi has been there for yrs. he will never get out.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,167 Posts

Yes,in shu two years and four more to go.
Gang validation.
It sucks but at least he is not in there till he dies as a lot of gang valiadated inmates are.
They max out.
Snitch ,parole,or die (unless the rapture happens).
Old 03-04-2016, 09:26 PM

My husband went in SHU Jan 13, 2016 and they are about to transfer him out. He has changed because he doesn't want to be there any longer so he's just on edge and distant now.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:52 PM

Default Tier2 Ga...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRodriquez13 View Post
My husband went in SHU Jan 13, 2016 and they are about to transfer him out. He has changed because he doesn't want to be there any longer so he's just on edge and distant now.

My husband just transferred and will be in the tier 2 program in Ga, what is it like?? Did he change? visitation, did he get skinny??
Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 PM
Donation Award 

My brother has been in the SHU since March - he has not been in any trouble - was pretty high up in a gang but "retired" in January. BOP only recognizes "retired" if he tells who is in the gang and how it operates. Needless to say - he refuses to do that so he stays in the SHU. He is not allowed the pictures I send him - no books - he's frustrated and HATES it - I have contacted everyone I can think to contact to no avail. Talked to him tonight and he said it is what it is. MAD - FRUSTRATED - trying to calm down.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,515 Posts

Hubby is in for STG investigation. We are thinking he may stay there until his release in April. He hasn't really changed much...the year and a half he spent in county did that.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:06 AM
His xo

My man has been in the SHU for 3 days now and I'm stressed out! Prior to us getting back together he was in the SHU for 18 months and another time for 7 month . I pray he's out of there soon. In the mean time I write write write and try to keep busy but it's hard when he's always on my mind.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 PM
Banned

my husband has done a combined total of 20 years in shu we love it there strange as it may sound 2 in cell murders explains this but we are happier here in shu then anuwhere else!

Last edited by sylvia glenn; 10-18-2017 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: color