Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

View Poll Results: How long has your loved one been in the SHU? If they've changed, how?
1 day - 3 months 61 33.15%
3 months - 12 months 45 24.46%
12 months - 2 years 19 10.33%
2 years + 54 29.35%
Theyre moodier or more argumentative than normal. 29 15.76%
Theyre pretty much the same. 31 16.85%
Theyre happier... wanting the rest! 11 5.98%
Other... Please give details 19 10.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2005, 02:44 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Default Have you got a loved one in SHU?

I was wondering how many of us on here have a loved one in the SHU, whether it be Disaplinary Segregation or Administrative Segregation????

My man got into a fight in April. He did 30 days D/S. There is a seperatees placed on him and the guy he got in a fight with. The guy went out onto the compound again and he got placed in Ad. Seg. He got into some trouble with an officer and is now back in D/S!

Since he's been in the SHU, i have noticed a huge strain on our relationship. He is very moody and even more depressed than normal. We tend o argue a little more than we used to and his whole attitude to life has changed again. It is like we have taken two steps backwards.
Theyre saying that he could be in there for 10-24 months, but i dont think he is going to survive that long!! The region keeps rejecting his transfer.

How have all of you coped with your loved one being in the SHU? How long has he or she been there? How long have they got to go before theyre able to go out on the compound? How has it affected them and you?

I guess i'd just like you to share your stories and thoughts.

Tracey x

Last edited by 2nice; 06-15-2005 at 02:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to 2nice For This Useful Post:
Ravenscaitorrie (03-17-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,185 Times in 495 Posts

My ex was in the SHU for 9 months and my 4 friends/pen pals are all in the SHU and have been for quite some time.My ex was actually happier in there as he couldn't cause trouble with anyone or anyone cause trouble with him but he had a short time compared to others.I can't say how my pen pals have changed as the whole time I have known them they have been in the SHU

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Old 06-16-2005, 11:53 AM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

I was kinda hoping that my baby would use the time to have a rest from all the dramas that can and do happen out on the compound. He thinks otherwise. He is getting too short on his sentence to be getting into any trouble, but he doesnt seem to see it like that. He cant handle it one little bi!
Old 06-16-2005, 03:35 PM

He is in Pelican Bay and has been in the SHU for over two years and the only real noticable change in him is that he has come to the Lord, so I would have to say that he has found peace in his life while being there.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:27 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee b
He is in Pelican Bay and has been in the SHU for over two years and the only real noticable change in him is that he has come to the Lord, so I would have to say that he has found peace in his life while being there.
I told my baby that he needs to get his bible that i sent him, out of his property and start reading it. It might make him feel a little at ease within himself. Sometimes it feels like he is losing the faith.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Glad to be alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nice
Since he's been in the SHU, i have noticed a huge strain on our relationship. He is very moody and even more depressed than normal. We tend o argue a little more than we used to and his whole attitude to life has changed again. It is like we have taken two steps backwards.

Tracey x
My Ex, who is a lifer, has been in the SHU for 3.5 years. Since being moved to a more restictive environment I have seen a big change in him. He is must more moody, cranky, assumes the worst about little things, argumentative and to top it all off broke up with me for no reason out of the blue. So yes this has put a huge strain on our relationship as well. We were able to deal for 3.5 years and then he couldn't deal anymore.

While with him I was very patient and calm and understanding. I would try and not react when he would get his feathers ruffled. This helped keep him grounded for awhile.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:33 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBellaAngela
While with him I was very patient and calm and understanding. I would try and not react when he would get his feathers ruffled. This helped keep him grounded for awhile.
I am doing this right now! Im letting a lot of things go that normally i would pull his coat-tail about. But he seems to really be trying my patience. Im hanging in there though, but its real hard! Its as if it is draining me completely.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Glad to be alive.

Quote:
I am doing this right now! Im letting a lot of things go that normally i would pull his coat-tail about. But he seems to really be trying my patience. Im hanging in there though, but its real hard! Its as if it is draining me completely.
I understand. I know it is hard! Please remember that it is temporary. Prayer helped me alot! Hang in there!
Old 07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm waiting Baby

Tracy, I didn't know you had all that happenin girl, hang on in there, sending prayers and hugs your way girly, I really miss our chats and all...
Especially here in the states...

Take care and regards to kids

Old 07-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Liberty

My fiance was just sentenced ito 54 months for illegal reentry in n May 2005, transferred to FTC OK in route to assigned BOP Facility Big Spring TX FCI a low minimum security facility. First night, I mean the FIRST night upon arrival, was taken to dorm assigned where 5 0r more inmates jumped him and badly beat him. He stated they don't like people from California. Huh?

So his letter says they are locked in cells 24/7 and could stay there for up to 16 months? Return address in not like others, FCI Seagoville, FTC Oklahoma City. Rather it is Cedar Hall SHU III, Big Spring TX??

I am not only scared, angry but confused? Why isn't he in a FCI like originally decided by BOP? Was he put here for protection? What is a SHU, I've never heard of such. And if he isn't safe here due to such gangs, why can't we get him transferred. Isn't it the BOP's responsibility to at least provide safety? Maybe instead of being so watchful of inmate visitation personal contact which is loving, they should spend more time watching inmates personal contact with other inmates which is hateful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Houston5304 For This Useful Post:
Thersa (10-15-2010)
Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 PM
spiritnsoul

Default In SHU for no fault..

My son also had inmates assault him. Easy target ,Did not defend himself. Short stature, Non american. Sent to the shoe, without defending himself. Investigator took a month to review his case because of a backlog .. Finally he was out after nearly two months-- for one night only , and then again attacked and back in the SHU.Why is it that the victims get put into the shoe with the attackers? Is that fair? What about the mental and psychological damage to the innocent one in the incident? How long do they have the right to keep him there without him having done anything wrong? . dont know what to do, any suggestions will be very welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston5304 View Post
My fiance was just sentenced ito 54 months for illegal reentry in n May 2005, transferred to FTC OK in route to assigned BOP Facility Big Spring TX FCI a low minimum security facility. First night, I mean the FIRST night upon arrival, was taken to dorm assigned where 5 0r more inmates jumped him and badly beat him. He stated they don't like people from California. Huh?

So his letter says they are locked in cells 24/7 and could stay there for up to 16 months? Return address in not like others, FCI Seagoville, FTC Oklahoma City. Rather it is Cedar Hall SHU III, Big Spring TX??

I am not only scared, angry but confused? Why isn't he in a FCI like originally decided by BOP? Was he put here for protection? What is a SHU, I've never heard of such. And if he isn't safe here due to such gangs, why can't we get him transferred. Isn't it the BOP's responsibility to at least provide safety? Maybe instead of being so watchful of inmate visitation personal contact which is loving, they should spend more time watching inmates personal contact with other inmates which is hateful.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:08 AM
G'z Sweetstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritnsoul View Post
My son also had inmates assault him. Easy target ,Did not defend himself. Short stature, Non american. Sent to the shoe, without defending himself. Investigator took a month to review his case because of a backlog .. Finally he was out after nearly two months-- for one night only , and then again attacked and back in the SHU.Why is it that the victims get put into the shoe with the attackers? Is that fair? What about the mental and psychological damage to the innocent one in the incident? How long do they have the right to keep him there without him having done anything wrong? . dont know what to do, any suggestions will be very welcome.
Right now, the SHU is the safest place for him to be and that is the number one concern. Chances are he will be placed in an SNY or special needs yard. His counselor should have this in the works, if not he needs to request it. It is unfair he is the one being punished, but like I said at least he is safe. As for the attacker, I am sure he will have a long SHU sentence, at least in California that is how it works. As for mental and psychological damage, you can support him by sending books, magazine subscriptions, spirituality support, and the most important, lots of letters. My fiance has been in the SHU for 10 years and is surprisingly positive, so all is not lost. However it is up to your son to persevere and overcome the circumstances. I hope these words helped, stay strong.
The Following User Says Thank You to desertmoonwoman For This Useful Post:
celamar56 (01-13-2011)
Old 07-09-2005, 04:48 PM

Hi all, my husband is now in the SHU as well, he has been there now for 6 weeks waiting on a staff rep to come back fromher vacation so he can go in front of DHO. Theyare looking to take our visits for 1 year for something so stupid. He had me do a favor for someone inside and now they are saying that we took money from him for drugs when no drugs were even involved, but as we all know they have their own set of rules in the fed so my advice to all is to be very careful of what you do or you'll end up in my position an dnot be able to see him for one year....
Old 07-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Donation Award 

He did about 24 months on the SHU in Texas...finally transfered out to Colorado...and within the month was on the SHU. Again...it will be atleast 12 months due to the 12 month clean conduct Pilot Program. So...I am choosing 2+ considering he wasn't off very long.

I do not know what facility your guy is at...but is he on the 12 month pilot program? It's a pain for real! And...it's no getting out of it! I tried, he tried, we tried I think everything including filing a lawsuit in the courts.

For the most part...he hasn't changed much. After all this time I would think he would have worked harder at staying away from trouble that would land him back on the SHU...but then I have to second question myself because I am not the one who has to live inside a pen with a thousand other prisoners. He has done well from what I can tell...but there is no doubt it has done something to him both mentally and physically.

I feel you completely...it has felt like we have done nothing but backstep over these past couple of years. It is extremely draining...I understand! After some time went on...I kind of fell into the groove and more less accepted it wasn't gonna be over for a while. But with this latest backstep...I don't feel the energy at all!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Liberty

Default How do I find out WHY he is in SHU?

My fiancee is in CI Big Springs Texas. As I said he had just arrived that day, was jumped and beaten by 5 other inmates and then I receive a letter with his new location as a SHU. He stated something about 18 months? I am so confused. Who do I contact to get some answers as to what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintml2u
He did about 24 months on the SHU in Texas...finally transfered out to Colorado...and within the month was on the SHU. Again...it will be atleast 12 months due to the 12 month clean conduct Pilot Program. So...I am choosing 2+ considering he wasn't off very long.

I do not know what facility your guy is at...but is he on the 12 month pilot program? It's a pain for real! And...it's no getting out of it! I tried, he tried, we tried I think everything including filing a lawsuit in the courts.

For the most part...he hasn't changed much. After all this time I would think he would have worked harder at staying away from trouble that would land him back on the SHU...but then I have to second question myself because I am not the one who has to live inside a pen with a thousand other prisoners. He has done well from what I can tell...but there is no doubt it has done something to him both mentally and physically.

I feel you completely...it has felt like we have done nothing but backstep over these past couple of years. It is extremely draining...I understand! After some time went on...I kind of fell into the groove and more less accepted it wasn't gonna be over for a while. But with this latest backstep...I don't feel the energy at all!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:34 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintml2u
I do not know what facility your guy is at...but is he on the 12 month pilot program?

...But with this latest backstep...I don't feel the energy at all!
No... my guy isnt on the 12 month pilot program. They just dont want to transfer him out due to the costs of doing so. He hadnt too long gotten to the institution before everything kicked off.

I feel you about not having the energy at all!! At one point i felt completely and untterly drained. I told him how i was feeling. It wasnt that i didnt wanna be there for him because i would always be there. I just wanted him to understand that i was going through it with him. He seemed to forget that.
After a phone call, everything was sorted out! Now that we do the postcard swap, it has brought him up loads and loads. I have seemn a positive change in him.

What exactly is the 12 month pilot?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Liberty

Default Found out why he is in SHU.

I did finally hear from Luis over the phone last week. He is in SHU for protection due to the gang activity at this facility. Evidently the predominant gang do not like (putting it mildly) inmates from California.

I am in the process of requesting his transfer to another BOP facility that does not have this population type. Since he is INS status, they have designated facilities to handle that. However one of the BOP facilities at his classification level is the FCI in Seagoville which is right next to the FD unit he was located at during his sentencing. And they also are listed as an INS facility. So I am going to push for that one as they do not have the same type of gang population there.

If not, then Luis either faces 3 long years in the "hole" which is so unfair or unfortunately the worse, to be released back into the general population and risk death or serious injury. In fact, he is still in danger as long as he remains at this facility based upon information I have researched on this subject.

I hope the BOP understands and assists with this serious issue. After all, one of their responsibilities is to also protect the health and safety of all inmates. If I don't get any help from them, I hope that the Mexican Consultate will assist me in protecting his rights of humane treatment.

Lois in DFW
Huskers (06-21-2016)
Old 07-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
What exactly is the 12 month pilot?
12 month Pilot...

After years...we still have yet to get our hands on a 'written policy' or memo on this program.

Pretty much what we have been able to find out...is it was established partly to stop prisoners from say..."walking themselves" to another institution. I'm sure this has proven to be a problem in many cases in the FBOP considering the distance allowed to be placed between families.

He originally went on it in USP Beaumont within months after his arrival to this location...I have only seen it or heard of it in the USP level. He had been in some trouble...returned to general population...and within weeks back into trouble. Hence...they placed him on the pilot where he sat in the SHU for all that time until he reached 12 months clean. They transferred him to another USP where again he was in some trouble.

The whole thing about this is sort of what was mentioned in this other case...other prisoners claim there will be trouble if this guy comes back out on general population. Therefor...it's a threat or security issue...so he can not come back off of SHU. Since he has not been in this location for 18 months...they say they can't transfer him so he is placed on the pilot program to sit for 12 months.

A 'Pilot Program"....can be anything or everything. My understanding is its a trial run and if everything goes as planned they could write it into policy.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:15 AM
Liberty

Default This whole SHU \ Ad Seg \ Protected Seg stuff is totally confusing to me!

I am totally confused of the purpose really is for this whole array of confinement. It's call so many different things, SHU, Ad Seg, Protected Seg, "the hole". It's quote un quote for discipline of the bad ones, protection of the good ones, isn't there any consistency in this whole thing?

Some say their loved one is in it because they got in trouble or they are confined in order to protect the general population. Others say their loved one, like mine is in there to protect them FROM the general population. That just doesn't make sense to me.

My husband told me last night that he was informed that if no other issues arise, he will be released out into the general population. WHAT? What has changed out there, NOTHING! He did say that they questioned him re: who the inmates were that attacked him and he, being not too dense in between the ears stated he really didn't get to see their faces. They showed him pictures of possible inmates and again, duh he didn't make any identifications. Do they think he is stupid and wants to be considered a "rat" so that he can be in further danger from these individuals. Listen, he doesn't want anytning to do with these gangs, either the ones that hate him for his "California" days nor the ones that would so graciously protect him if he joins their little club. Well duh!!!

Needless to say, I sent an email to the prison requesting a meeting on Friday with his case manager or Warden whoever so I can discuss this situaiton with them. My request was in writing so that if I am not granted such a meeting, then I can respectfully and in the proper chain of command procedures then go to the BOP and yes in writing request a meeting with someone at the Dallas regional office. If that doesn't provide any result, then on I'll go to the Mexican Consultate, even the Texas Congress or higher if I have to.

I WILL NOT just sit by and let them release him back into DANGER without making some noise. That is inhumane and totally unacceptable to me. NO ONE should be put in danger just because they won't cough up information that they may or may not know even and further jeopardize their safety.

I don't know if my husband would even agree, but the ONLY way I would agree to him providing such info would be only if they could PROMISE him an immediate transfer to another facility does not have this same inmate population and even then I don't know if that would be smart. Seems like these days they are EVERYWHERE or at least have affilliation members worldwide. Too bad they don't trade on the NYSE, I'd purchase shared immediately.

Totally messed up system. This whole thing really angers me.

Lois in DFW
kevinwife (09-12-2011)
Old 07-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston5304
but the ONLY way I would agree to him providing such info would be only if they could PROMISE him an immediate transfer to another facility does not have this same inmate population
Lois in DFW

I think...(smell the smoke? ) There is no federal institution that does not have a specific population. Then...even if you found one at the moment...tomorrow a new shipment could arrive again excluding it!

From experience...I see they don't take separtees to seriously. OK...let me give them some benifit of doubt...they do separate by unit/tier....not by facility (and they will even transfer separtees to the same facility)! And...wonder how ofter it's just completely overlooked as in cases like the 'gladiator fights' the 'just so happen'.

I am certain it must be easier to keep those on an FCI level separated considering the amount of FCI's there are. In the USP's...I question more.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Babygirl

Iam sorry what is SHU??? what does it mean?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydreemer
I believe it is Secured Housing Unit, where they put the problems that can't get along in general population, or have gang affiliation, any number of problems with the prison system.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 PM

Default Shu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayton View Post
I believe it is Secured Housing Unit, where they put the problems that can't get along in general population, or have gang affiliation, any number of problems with the prison system.
my boyfriend is in SHU due a previous conviction. He has his own cell - a shrine to me, our friends and our dog, Jazzie he says, (his proudest being to show off my paralegal degree to COs that he has a copy of....I've fought for him on several internal issues w the SCI and done well)

Hopefully Pennsylvania is looking at a Prison Sentence Bill where as he has less than 18 months and will have served over half his sentence to date- Has done 29 of 48 months-, if passed he will potentially be home in FEBRUARY !!!!!

My writing and books keep him going.

He just did 30 days in the hole for going into a restricted area. If this small stint is what the other facilities have as normal...this is cruel & unusual punishment. He was starting to lose it. He wrote me once at first to tell me what was going on. Then he wrote me a letter that told me he didnt want to be with me, etc ....I sat and cried for 2 days. Then he got out and called to say he was stressed and forget what he sent. I told him lean on me!~~~~ don't push me away.

I write him DAILY. He got 20 letter of lyrics, letters, pictures, articles etc just in one day. He said all the guys were like this girl loves you-

I've learned alot here as I am MWI and hopefully ending the end of this stage and entering our life together-he has asked me to marry him !!!! I wont hold my breath until he is here. ...I have friends who have high positions who are setting up a network for him.

One thing I learned here is to show him everything- get a new pocketbook - send him a pic. I sent him pics of all the friends who he will be gaining in a couple months hopefully. I've been babysitting and taking tons of pics to send to him. bought a 2nd new car- his favorite color purple- and sent him pics- named it after his saying Eric & Becca= Storm Warning- so the car is Storm Warning ( the first -bought a couple months before is Fighting Angel after the tatoo on his back)

Sorry@! I just love talking about him!

Just love your man! no matter where they are pictures, letters etc are a savior!!!

I love Eric.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydreemer View Post
security housing unit
Old 10-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydreemer View Post
security housing unit or special housing unit