Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:57 PM

Default Where will he end up? Camp or min?

My husband has 7 points, so we feel he should be recommended for a camp. My question is, with his low points will he be sent to a camp automatically or can he end up in a mminimum sec?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2017, 04:39 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,330 Times in 12,866 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk.

Camps are minimum security. FCI Low (prisons with razor wire, etc. are classified as low security, on up to high security) are the next higher custody levels. With 7 points, he is camp eligible as long as he has not been given a "public safety factor" or "management variable" which eliminate him from being housed in minimum security. If he is sent to another security level than minimum, he can file an inmate grievance to be moved to the correct custody level prison. The fact is that the bop can send him wherever they want, and justify it later, but he will receive an explanation in the reply to his grievance.

Here's a link to the custody points program statement.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5100_008.pdf

Last edited by fbopnomore; 09-15-2017 at 04:42 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (09-16-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 AM

In the feds there are two different numbers that matter the ones for your sentencing guidelines and your custody points, Only reason I bring this up is that a lot of people get them confused. I would say you somehow did get his custody points which is strange as i didnt think they came up with them til u were in BOP custody. Anyways I assume those are custody points because if his guideline points were that low he would prob be getting probation. As far as where they send him it could be either there never seems to any rhyme or reason why or where they send people where they do. Hopefully it will be somewhere close to home and even though the judge recommends it its not always the case.

good luck
Old 09-15-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doinaight View Post
In the feds there are two different numbers that matter the ones for your sentencing guidelines and your custody points, Only reason I bring this up is that a lot of people get them confused. I would say you somehow did get his custody points which is strange as i didnt think they came up with them til u were in BOP custody. Anyways I assume those are custody points because if his guideline points were that low he would prob be getting probation. As far as where they send him it could be either there never seems to any rhyme or reason why or where they send people where they do. Hopefully it will be somewhere close to home and even though the judge recommends it its not always the case.

good luck
Yes, those are the custody points.

Thank you for the information. This is the first time he's been arrested and everything is so complicated and we're pretty clueless about the process.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:51 AM

[quote=fbopnomore;7663075]Welcome to Prison Talk.

Camps are minimum security. FCI Low (prisons with razor wire, etc. are classified as low security, on up to high security) are the next higher custody levels. With 7 points, he is camp eligible as long as he has not been given a "public safety factor" or "management variable" which eliminate him from being housed in minimum security. If he is sent to another security level than minimum, he can file an inmate grievance to be moved to the correct custody level prison. The fact is that the bop can send him wherever they want, and justify it later, but he will receive an explanation in the reply to his grievance.

Thanks for the clear explanation. It really answered my qyestion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stargazer10 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-15-2017)