Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 AM

Default SS to Coleman Camp / What can I have, what should I bring?

Hi guys I'm
So glad I found this site I have a million and one questions if anyone could help it would be great. I have to SS and I asked to be placed at Coleman camp since its close by my home. And I wanted to know what can I have ,what should I bring, what the camp is like and how much money should I put in my account to start off with to make phone call and commissary. And how long does it take to get visits once your there I just got sentenced on Thursday how long does the letter from BOP takes and what should I to prepare for my 24 mos sentence. Thanks any advice would be helpful.

Last edited by Mrskells; 08-25-2014 at 08:05 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,291 Times in 12,846 Posts

Welcome to the federal forums. To understand what to expect, be sure to read the posts in the bop camps that house females sticky at the top of this subforum.

Your self surrender instructions will arrive a week or so before your SS date, and may or may not be to Coleman Camp, although the bop says they will consider your judge's prison recommendation. You will only be able to keep eyeglasses and "legal paperwork". Everything else will either be given to you, or purchased from the commissary. Here is Coleman's commissary list.
http://www.bop.gov/locations/institu...X_CommList.pdf

Here are the bop Inmate Money instructions.
http://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money

You will earn 94 days of good time, and may get to spend the last few months of your remaining time in "community corrections", a half way house or home confinement. Your unit team, counselor, case manager, camp manager, can tell you the amount of cc time they will recommend. Some members who were comfortable where they were, in a camp, have posted that they chose to decline community corrections, but that is something you can figure out for yourself.

To use the inmate telephone system, ITS, a few things have to happen first. You will give your counselor a list of every phone number you will want to call (a list of all of your visitors too). The counselor has to approve the list, and activate your account on the prison phone computer. That can take a day or two, or maybe longer to happen. You also have to wait to receive your 9 digit telephone pin number in the mail. That number will never change, even if you switch prisons. Once all of that has happened, you can either call those numbers collect (expensive & that phone has to be able to accept collect calls) or you can use the phone and your pin # to transfer money, $1.00 on up, from your commissary account to your phone account to purchase prepaid phone minutes. Local calls to the prison cost 6 cents/min, all others 23 cents/min. Call forwarding services are forbidden, but having a cell phone that is assigned a local phone number to the prison is OK. Local calls mean both area code and prefix, and since Coleman is so remote, it may be hard to do.

Phone calls are limited to 300 minutes/month, 400 in Nov. & Dec. Monthly commissary spending limit is around $320.00 with an extra $50.00 in the same two months. If your phone account hits zero during a call, the system will hang up.

Your phone minutes and commissary limits will refresh to the next month, with no carryover of unused limits, on the same day every month. The 5th digit of your inmate ID #, xxxxX-xxx, times 3, plus one, so if your number is 4, you will get new limits on the 13th of every month.

Most bop prisons now have Corrlinks email access to. It costs 5 cents/min to write, or read emails. Once you are approved, you need to send an invitation email to everyone you want to correspond with, and they will need to reply to that exact message before you can send or receive any future emails.