Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Oregon Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,969 Times in 3,125 Posts
Default How to visit an Oregon inmate in the hospital

(Mods, could you please sticky this?)

In theory, DOC has 72 hours to notify you if your loved one has been sent to the hospital for an "unplanned event" (e.g. not a cataract removal or something they know about in advance). I have not known anyone who was notified through the DOC system.

If you find out, through whatever means, that your loved one is in the hospital, you need to contact his/her home institution and ask to speak to the "Officer in Charge" (OIC). Once that person is on the phone, let them know your name and your loved one's name and ask if you have the OIC's permission to visit.

Assuming the OIC grants you permission, the OIC will be able to tell you which hospital and what room number. The hospital will not have your loved one admitted under his/her actual name, so the hospitals can't give you any information on where your loved one is.

The OIC will call the guards in your loved one's room and tell them that you have permission to visit for X amount of time. When you get to your loved one's room, make sure to ask the guard(s) how long you can visit so you don't get caught by surprise when you're told you have to leave.

I hope that no one ever needs this information. But if you do...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
April282017 (08-19-2014), PezzyDB (08-21-2014), Zelda50 (08-30-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2014, 01:53 PM

I'm assuming you posted this because you had to actually navigate it? If that's the case...I'm sorry about that. I hope your dad is ok.

Thank you for the info.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezzyDB View Post
I'm assuming you posted this because you had to actually navigate it? If that's the case...I'm sorry about that. I hope your dad is ok.

Thank you for the info.
Yes. My dad was hospitalized on 8/6 after he collapsed. I didn't find out until 8/12 and I didn't find out through DOC. By the time I saw him, he hadn't eaten in 9 days.

He's been diagnosed with a type of cancer that is slow growing and asymptomatic, so by the time he was diagnosed, it is too late to do anything. The docs may be able to get him an extra 3 or 4 months of life, but as he put it "Why? So I can spend 3 or 4 more months as a guest of the state of Oregon?"

From all the information I've been able to gather, he probably has somewhere between 2 weeks to 4 months left to live.

But I wanted this information out where others who may have need of it can find it. Trying to find the information while in full blown panic mode was not trivial.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 AM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,835 Times in 11,078 Posts

Good grief, Ginger! I'm sorry you're forced into this next stage of his incarceration . . . you must be going numb over all this messiness plus your mom.

Have a cyber-hug on me!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:18 AM

Oh man Ginger, I'm so so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
Yes. My dad was hospitalized on 8/6 after he collapsed. I didn't find out until 8/12 and I didn't find out through DOC. By the time I saw him, he hadn't eaten in 9 days.

He's been diagnosed with a type of cancer that is slow growing and asymptomatic, so by the time he was diagnosed, it is too late to do anything. The docs may be able to get him an extra 3 or 4 months of life, but as he put it "Why? So I can spend 3 or 4 more months as a guest of the state of Oregon?"

From all the information I've been able to gather, he probably has somewhere between 2 weeks to 4 months left to live.

But I wanted this information out where others who may have need of it can find it. Trying to find the information while in full blown panic mode was not trivial.
The Following User Says Thank You to PezzyDB For This Useful Post:
GingerM (08-22-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 03:08 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

So sorry to hear that Ginger!! Take good care of yourself through this next journey. Thank you for posting that information about the visiting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (08-31-2014), Shygirl4joker13 (10-18-2015)
Old 08-31-2014, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Not too far down the line here, I'll be posting how to visit in the Infirmary and possibly how to visit in Hospice.

If no other good can come of this, perhaps the information will help others in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50 View Post
So sorry to hear that Ginger!! Take good care of yourself through this next journey. Thank you for posting that information about the visiting.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 AM

Thanked 5,985 Times in 3,114 Posts

I'm so sorry for you having to navigate this stuff when your Father is dying. I wish you the best and send big hugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
GingerM (09-07-2014)
Closed Thread