Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > Introduce Yourself!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introduce Yourself! Please stop by and introduce yourself and share your story with others in the Prison Talk Online community!

Old 07-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Default Intro--german girl from Illinois

Today was the day that I've been dreading for some time now.
My son who is 20 was just sentenced to 10 years.
This is all new to me and I feel as tho I'm living a nightmare.
Actually, I can't even think straight right now. I'm emotionally, physically, and mentally wiped out. I'm very thankful for finding this site. The only people that I have really been able to talk to, is other moms that I've met at the county jail.
I have no idea what happens now. Where he's going etc...
I'm sorry if I'm not making any sense or rambling on. I'm
divorced and my 2 sons are all the family I have left.
God bless you all...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to german girl For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (07-22-2019), jessesgirl1111 (07-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2019, 04:00 PM

Thanked 1,027 Times in 458 Posts

I'm glad you found us but sorry you had the need. I'm in Illinois too. The time in R&C (reception and classification) is the hardest. Did he get a 50% sentence? Or some other percentage?

It's hard I know....my son has been incarcerated for going on 6 years now. I know you don't believe me (I sure didn't) but it gets easier once you have a routine.

Remember to take care of yourself
The Following User Says Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
german girl (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,328 Times in 12,866 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I agree that the start is the hardest time for you, and for your son. As it becomes your "new normal" it will be easier to deal with. Be sure to check our Parent's forums to meet others in similar circumstances.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Stay strong and take care of yourself so you can continue to support your son, he needs your love now more than ever.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:38 PM

Default Intro german girl from Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma4us View Post
I'm glad you found us but sorry you had the need. I'm in Illinois too. The time in R&C (reception and classification) is the hardest. Did he get a 50% sentence? Or some other percentage?

It's hard I know....my son has been incarcerated for going on 6 years now. I know you don't believe me (I sure didn't) but it gets easier once you have a routine.

Remember to take care of yourself
He got an 85% sentence. So 8 1/2 years, minus the time he spent at Cook County. Almost 6 months.

I guess he's going to Stateville (R&C) on Monday. Thanks for responding. I appreciate it!
Old 07-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,611 Posts

Its so very hard having a child in prison.However,you will settle into dealing with it.It doesnt get easier it just gets easier to deal with. Make sure you stay strong and well so you can support your son.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
judiwoo (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 07:34 AM

Thanked 1,027 Times in 458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by german girl View Post
He got an 85% sentence. So 8 1/2 years, minus the time he spent at Cook County. Almost 6 months.

I guess he's going to Stateville (R&C) on Monday. Thanks for responding. I appreciate it!
R&C is the hardest part because of the lack of communication. He will get a phone call if he is there 30+ days. However, you can write to him and believe me, he will so appreciate it.

85% sentences fall under the truth in sentencing laws in Illinois which are barbaric to say the least. However, even at 85% he MIGHT be elligible for "good time" or reduction of his time in prison.

My son is also under an 85% sentence but due to his violent crime he is not eligible for any good time. He still has about 18 months to go but is doing as well as can be expected.
The Following User Says Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-20-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by german girl View Post
Today was the day that I've been dreading for some time now.
My son who is 20 was just sentenced to 10 years.
This is all new to me and I feel as tho I'm living a nightmare.
Actually, I can't even think straight right now. I'm emotionally, physically, and mentally wiped out. I'm very thankful for finding this site. The only people that I have really been able to talk to, is other moms that I've met at the county jail.
I have no idea what happens now. Where he's going etc...
I'm sorry if I'm not making any sense or rambling on. I'm
divorced and my 2 sons are all the family I have left.
God bless you all...
I’ll add him to my prayers. I’m in Chicago as well and have had the unfortunate experience of learning this system as well. You have us now too!! There’s an Illinois forum on here too that a few of us regularly post in if you have questions specific to Illinois. The reception will be the toughest, but if he’s coming from cook county he’s already been prepared. Feel free to message me if you can’t find info. This site and the people on here helped me tremendously a year ago at this time.
Be sure you have your securus account set up, and when they go to r&c they can shop once a month (hopefully he won’t be there that long, but if that Thursday is while he’s there he can go). So I would add a minimal amount of money to his books. GTL is cheaper than jpay but either works. I say minimal because it will follow him when he transfers to his parent prison (then add more after he transfers so it’s immediately available). They do transfers on Wednesday’s, sign up for the VINE notifications, or check the IDOC website on his status. They update by 10am every day. There’s also a truth in sentencing bill up that allows for them to earn some good time if it passes (sb2054). Here’s the link to the Illinois section: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Here’s the link to sign up for VINE notifications: https://www.vinelink.com/#/home/site/14004

IDOC lookup: https://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/Offen...ateSearch.aspx

GTL: https://web.connectnetwork.com/

Jpay: https://www.jpay.com/

**Securus for the phone: https://securustech.online/#/login

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

The Following User Says Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
trauma4us (07-21-2019)