Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:07 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,864 Times in 15,408 Posts
Default Life skills

Got into a convo this morning on fb about this.
Some football coach is teaching his team some basic skills which he calls, Manly mondays.
Stuff like how to change a tire, how to jump start a car, how to shake hands with someone.
I commented I think that they should teach ALL kids some of this stuff, in addition to some basic cooking skills, how to sew on a button, how to address a letter (yes!) how to balance a checkbook.

lol. Someone commented to that saying......you dont need to balance a checkbook thats outdated.
I wonder if kids would even know how to deposit a check these days.
I dunno.

I asked my son if his hs had anything like this when he was in school, and he told me no. They did away with those types of classes. (I do remember they had recently started wood shop and metal shop at well during his jr year of hs. Which ended up being a bust because the teacher quit mid term.......son was super bummed about that)
Do you think all schools should have this type of class?
At least high schools.

That's my dog's nose art

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2019, 09:20 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,226 Times in 7,890 Posts

I graduated in '96 and we had wood shop and home ec. in junior high. It was basics-- how to make applesauce, make a casserole and thread/use a straight stitch machine. Wood shop was more my speed (still is). We had 'advanced' versions in high school that were elective-- wood shop, metal shop, auto mechanics and auto body as well as one home ec. type class. We had one required class called personal finance that taught you how to create and balance a budget, how to fill out a tax form and we did mock job interviews (by then, most of us were already working). Checks were being phased out at that point so we didn't focus on that.

I don't have kids so I didn't know that things like shop and home ec. weren't a thing anymore. That's too bad and I'm guessing it depends on the district. The high schools here seem to be very focused on vocational training.

As for "Manly Mondays", that's sexist as hell. Females play football, too, so the argument that he's teaching players is out the window. Good on him for the effort, but ditch the title.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (06-08-2019), sidewalker (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:29 AM

Donation Award 

I had these classes available as well in jr high and high school.
I think they were electives. (really shouldnt be for some of the basic skills)
I was made to take a sewing class. I didnt want to but pretty much there was no choice. As much as I didnt want to, and didnt like the teacher I to this day remember shit she taught us. I DO sew (not recently) and those lessons were invaluable.

And while true that checks are not as common any longer, its still a good skill to have. Knowing what happens when you actually have a check to deposit. And what happens if it bounces from YOUR account. lol. Yeah there is a charge for that. And sometimes for even just having the account.

totally agree on the title of the *class*
These skills are valuable for anyone.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-29-2019, 09:46 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
And while true that checks are not as common any longer, its still a good skill to have. Knowing what happens when you actually have a check to deposit. And what happens if it bounces from YOUR account. lol. Yeah there is a charge for that. And sometimes for even just having the account.
I have to admit, checks are a weird thing to me. I have something like six checkbooks that came with my account and anything over that I have to purchase the checks. I use one, every other month, to pay my student loan because they charge a ridiculously high fee for processing a card. My last employer used automatic deposit for paychecks. I know you can snap a picture of your check to deposit it, now, but I've never had a check to deposit since that became a thing. My financial institution is two states away (I stuck with my hometown credit union when I moved) so if I had to cash a check, I'd probably wind up paying a fee to do it at a retailer.

Am I a rarity? Are checks used more often than I realized?

Also, I'm super broke so the cash (or check) flow thing might be influenced by that. LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (06-08-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 10:04 AM

Donation Award 

hahaha, I hear ya. Son does the photo check deposit thing too. So weird. I used to work for a bank in many different areas within the bank, so this is super odd to me. But hey, Im ok with it.
As to the credit union, when I left the bank to work for the USPS, they also did auto deposit if you wanted. I wanted! So much easier. My credit union is in a city far away from me. They DO have a list of other cooperating credit unions that you can do in person business with, like what you describe to deposit a physical check. You might check in with the web site or call and ask. It seems they often *work together*

Tho mine is within the same state. It still might be possible. I know mine also works with other financial institutions to work with their *customers*
lol. After I left the bank I had to surrender all my credit cards (that offered employees' a lower rate) I shocked the lady by saying..oh mine is paid off! lol.
I closed the bank account asap as I already used the credit union for most of my *banking*
Only think I use a bank now if for my mortgage.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 12:24 PM

I was in school throughout 2000's in Arizona. I know each state has different courses.
Im awful at math so one of my advisors suggested I take a certain class (forgot the name) and it ended up being a class about managing credit, taxes, stocks and all things that have actually helped me now.
Yet I was never told that class existed before and all of my peers didn't know it was available either. So its possible there is a course out there that students just don't notice when choosing classes.

Home Ec. was available in junior high but I saw no class like that in high school.
We had wood/metal class also.

Now you have me curious what's currently offered in schools these days..

As for checks, I haven't had a reason to use any before. Now days there's always a way around it with direct deposit, online payments and automatic bill pay.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (05-30-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:28 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,860 Times in 7,617 Posts

We had shop and home ec and everybody had to take them. So, everybody made a nameplate in metals and cast a paperweight (one of a dozen designs), and made a small tool box. We made shelves in woodworking. We did jam in cooking. We made an apron in sewing, so we all had an apron in cooking. We made pillows, did drafting, and a bunch of other stuff.

In social sciences, we learned how to do a 1040ez. We also learned basic interviewing skills.

This was all in 7th and 8th grade.

In 3rd grade, we learned how to address an envelope.

Then again, I took typing in adult Ed when I was 13. You know, just in case I was going to be a secretary. I also got a B in drafting because the A's were reserved for boys who would actually use those skills. The metal shop teacher was more forward thinking and gave me the grade I deserved despite my gender.

Life skills. Sigh.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (05-30-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:43 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
I also got a B in drafting because the A's were reserved for boys who would actually use those skills. The metal shop teacher was more forward thinking and gave me the grade I deserved despite my gender.

Life skills. Sigh.
Fast forward a few decades and we have "Manly Mondays". It's nice to know we've come this far.
sidewalker (05-29-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:31 AM

Donation Award 

I was also terrible at math. Cant calculate to save my life.
In hs, I took a class that was supposed to be for the guys. Bachelor Foods. lol.
(yep, I took it because I had a crush who was in the class) but I swear it was a blast. Much more fun than the girls classes. We got to do steaks and yummy stuff while the girls classes did cookies and cakes.

I know addressing an envelope sounds stupid but I couldnt believe how many people dont know how (former letter carrier here) Or even know they have to change their address via the postal service in addition to notifying the folks they do business with.

Cant tell you how many people would use the house across the streets address as *their address*

Nuts. (I used to joke they must have gone outside, looked across the street and put that address down)

I think one of my favorite classes I think was a law class. Sort of skimmed over things.
lol, one of the most memorable days was when our teacher who's wife had a baby during that semester he taught the class came back afterward and was just gushing over his baby girl and how tiny her little hands and toes were. It was so sweet. He was a nice guy too.
Fun class.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-30-2019, 10:26 AM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I one of the most memorable days was when our teacher who's wife had a baby during that semester he taught the class came back afterward and was just gushing over his baby girl and how tiny her little hands and toes were. It was so sweet. He was a nice guy too.
Fun class.

When our third grade teacher, Mrs. W, had her baby, our sub lined us up after recess and said she had a surprise for us. Clear as day, I remember my friend looking at me and saying, "I hope it's Mr. W in a bow!" I mean he was super 80's dreamy, but holy heck was that funny.
sidewalker (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 04:34 AM

Donation Award 

hahaha!!

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 06:15 AM

Thanked 1,019 Times in 452 Posts

Okay I'm waaayyy old school - I graduated in 1977 from a Catholic high school with nuns in habits, priests, etc..

We had to take Gregg Shorthand to prepare us for our "female jobs." lol.

We also had home ec (which I almost failed - still can't cook)....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
choclgs (06-08-2019), miamac (05-31-2019), sidewalker (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 06:50 AM
He's out!!

I overheard a teacher saying cursive writing is coming back into the curriculum. I don't understand why it left to begin with. We have to sign and print on certain documents.

In J.H.S we took Home Economics. I baked my first cake without the middle sinking in.
In High school, I took wood/metal shop and made an awesome metal name plate for myself.

I commend the guy for incorporating Life Skills into the program.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:39 AM

Donation Award 

How about maybe teaching how to tell time with an analog clock?
I hear some kids dont know how to do that.
guess tying shoes is gonna be next since they have those elastic thingys now. Or velcro.

I could never do shorthand. Holy cow! (my mom could. Just looks like scribbles to me)
I can write and cursive but I have pretty messy handwriting so I usually end up printing half the time. (sort of a combo of the two)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-31-2019, 10:04 AM
He's out!!

What threw me back was a family friend, 20 years old, not knowing how to write out an envelope. Had no idea where to put the to\from information.

A lot of kids haven't a clue how to tie shoes. I taught my son how to read an analog clock with regular numbers and Roman numerals.
The Following User Says Thank You to BearsLadyBear For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (06-03-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:19 PM
Strength Keeps Me Going

When I was in high school we had home ec. Students was able to cook and sell food at the football games and during lunch time. The class doesn't exist anymore and I never really had the opportunity to get into the home ec class in high school (maybe middle school it was awesome!!). Didn't have wood shop or metal shop class at my school..but we had a fashion production class l-ll and that class taught me a lot about sewing and all sorts of machines. We was able to have a choice to take college classes at a community college (to this day this still at a couple of the high schools in my area that has this program).

It would be interesting if kids are taught how to read analog clock in general and other life experiences. To get them ready for the real world! A lot of these classes that was once in during the time aren't really around anymore. The school is removing them and replacing them with basic classes. I remember when my high school had sign language class and I wanted to take that class so badly when I had got to high school...the class was removed.
The Following User Says Thank You to keywii For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (06-03-2019)