Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions Please use this forum to talk about Department of Correction prison units, private institutiions, city jails, county jails, etc.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 PM

Default a visit to Buena Vista CCAP (boot camp)

I have an internship at the courthouse over in Golden, and through that I got an invitation to go take a tour of the boot camp down at BV.

We went yesterday, and I don't even know how to describe it, nothing short of intense. I'm still absorbing it (and the food...bleh, they had us eat in the chow hall). But they schedule the tours for when they get a new batch of 'recruits'...so we got to see the initiation.

The most positive thing about the experience is seeing how dedicated the CO's (drill sergents) were to seeing these guys change.

There were some bigwigs there too (including Ari Zavaras) on the tour, I guess they were showing someone around to try to push for more funding to the DOC?

But anyway, being inside like that gave me incredible perspective. (and it will probably make visitation alot easier? i JUST got my approval letter yesterday as well...)

I think its something everyone should consider?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2007, 01:31 PM

Congrats on being approved to visit. It gets easier with every visit as you learn what to expect.

Can anyone go on the tours or do you have to have some sort of connection? Did you have to pass a background check? I think it would be interesting although it would probably upset me.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:58 PM

I'm not sure how it was organized. I think someone asked the prison if they could bring a group in. We all had to provide a DL number..and I guess they did a check based on that.

My opinion on the facility was that it was very unique to the DOC. My baby NT has been next door in Buena Vista and told me all the crap that goes down. And hes told me alot that goes on at Crowley. And I've had my own views of the DOC..and in general I dont like the system. But this facility really seems to be outside the 'philosophies' of the other programs.

I know boot camp is controversial, but its purpose to prevent these guys from recidivating. And we saw the guys that graduated from the program last week, they had a real sense of accomplishment and pride, something they needed in their lives.

Kinda wish NT could go (he's inelidgable because he's already been in prison..) but for the most part they go through 30 days of hell and then 60 days of rehab.

I think you should call down and see if you could set something up

Old 10-05-2007, 07:40 PM
chin up, boots laced
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,087 Times in 806 Posts

Glad you got approved for visitation!
Old 12-23-2007, 08:13 PM

Careful with attempting to tour a facility when you plan to visit an inmate in another facility. It can sometimes backfire. I was approved as a journalist to tour some facilities, but didn't, because they told me that I can't be both a person on a tour and a visitor (even though this was seperate).

From firsthand experience, I can tell you that bootcamp is hell, but in the end, you look back on it and smile.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Careful with attempting to tour a facility when you plan to visit an inmate in another facility. It can sometimes backfire. I was approved as a journalist to tour some facilities, but didn't, because they told me that I can't be both a person on a tour and a visitor (even though this was seperate).

I had contacted DOC about volunteering to visit other offenders to assist with their re-entry and they told me that I would be approved for it as long as my husband was not at the same facility. You can't visit more than one offender at a facility. I'm surprised that you were told that. My guess is it had more to do with keeping you out as a journalist than it did with DOC rules.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:06 AM

My Boyfriend recently got a recomendation from his judge to go into the Buena Vista "Boot Camp." However i got on the DOC website and read about it and it says its only for people who have not served previous time in DOC, which he has. But the judge wouldn't write a recommendation if he wasn't able to go, right?