Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison and Jail Specific Discussions Please use this forum to talk about Department of Correction prison units, private institutiions, city jails, county jails, etc.

Old 02-22-2004, 06:29 PM
gracie

Default Any info on AVCF?

hey there, i am looking for information on the above facility for my
daughter's boyfriend. His dad is there. We would love to know what
he is dealing with and what the place is like...we also want to try
and get him transfered to nevada where we live and they are from.

hope this is making sense...i'm new to this.

gracie
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2004, 09:29 PM

Gracie; What is it that you would like to know. My husband is there and has been for some time. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer the best I can. I do know that tranfers out of Colorado are very rare. Are you trying to transfer him to another facility or wanting to transfer his parole when the time comes? I am by no means a Colorado DOC expert, however, unfortunately I have been dealing with it for several years with my husband.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:41 AM
gracie

Hi Nochipa, thank you for your help <smile>...from what I understand from his son, he
was sentenced to 24 years (three years ago). Recently his dad said that he isn't going to be serving that full sentence, and yes I believe it is at parole time (I think that is in another three years) that he wants to be transfered to Nevada. I haven't a clue as to
how to get the ball rolling for this to happen or even be considered. I have thought that maybe I should write to him and ask some of the legal things that a new lawyer would need or whatever...but am worried about bringing any negative attention to him if the prison reads his mail. I do know that just recently he was moved to his own cell..which I got the impression that is for having good behavior.
The other things I'd like to know is what day to day life is like for him. He is very open with his son having talked about prison rape. I asked his son if he was ok hearing that. He said he just wants to know everything so he can understand it all. His dad has found Jesus. I don't know if he has a bible..can I send him one if he doesn't? At Christmas, we were not allowed to send him anything. So really, I guess I'd like to know the rules of that facility. I'm having a problem finding that info online.

I'm sorry that your hubby is there as well. This has to be the most heartbreaking
life for families. I sure am learning a lot. All of which breaks my heart. At one time I
wanted to work in prisons in a compassionate way. Interesting how I was led this way
anyhow <smile>

gracie
Old 03-01-2004, 05:14 PM

Gracie - Sorry it to so long to get back to you. I undrestand that you really need answers to many questions about the workings of Colorado DOC. The first and best thing I can suggest is that you go to the website and look through the Adim Reg's (AR's) at http://www.doc.state.co.us/ this will give you a good start for what applies to all facilities. For right now it seems that the person you are requesting information for has several years before his 1st parole appearance. At this time there is very little thta can be done to prepare for that date. He will just need to follow what his case manager maps out, going to classes, securing an upscale 60 cent a day job, remain without write-ups, etc. and once they begin conversations about parole hopefully the case manager will give him some play and help him with an out of state plan. As for his day to day life, do not be afraid to write and ask him. Yes, of course all letters are purused by staff but they should have no concern about this man. My husband has been in now for 9 years straight and they certainly know "everything" about our family, but who cares. They don't ever confront him on anything or speak to him on it. Certainly they would if it related directly to threats, illegal doings within the walls, etc... You should be comfortable asking him anything. If you a serious about a new lawyer for him, well then all legal mail is not opened or read by staff. If he receives a letter from an Attorney they will have him open it in front of staff but they will not read any of the contents. What unit is he in? Hopefully he will keep in touch with his son and that you and your daughter will continue to stand with him also. Mail is the very best part of his day and anything on an upnote will bring him happiness. Hopefully he was not affected by all the recent turmoil. Lockdowns are depressing and stressful.
Hope this is of some help.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:44 PM

can anyone tell me if AVCF is limon facility ?
Old 03-04-2004, 10:30 PM

no, AVCF is about fifty miles east of Pueblo. It has been referred to as "Ordway" by some folks, which used to confuse me.. (not that that is really difficult) Limon is quite a bit north. The closet correctional facility to AVCF is Crowley County, it's to the west about five(?) miles. The CDOC website which has been mentioned before on this site has maps and etc. for all the prisons in the state. Hope this helps !!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:47 AM

Default Avcf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie49
hey there, i am looking for information on the above facility for my
daughter's boyfriend. His dad is there. We would love to know what
he is dealing with and what the place is like...we also want to try
and get him transfered to nevada where we live and they are from.

hope this is making sense...i'm new to this.

gracie
You may not need this now. My son was assaulted twice in the first week he was there. The last one slipped into his cell and ended up smashing his ankle and foot before he left. He needed surgery to fix five broken bones and will never be the same. He had names and descriptions and from what he was told at another facility, they were never charged. I wrote many letters to many people so he would not be sent back there and vowed that I would be picky who I let know where he was. It can be dangerous to do so.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:53 PM

Visiting at AVCF has the usual restrictions: Friday and Saturday, Saturday only, or Friday and Sunday. You can get there about 10am, but make sure they have started letting people into the parking lot. If you go in too early, the shoo you away (and the other visitors get mad, understandably). So often before 10am there is a line outside the entrance to the parking lot. Anyway once you get there, you need to fill out the daily visitor form. Make sure that you use the same address on your driver's license and on your inmate's visitor's list. Then you will be called at around 10:45am (yes about a 45 minute wait) in order that you signed up. At that time they will tell you if you are dressed inappropriately. I find that they are a *little* more relaxed than the East Canon Complex as far as dress code. Once I even got away with a little bit of cleavage (mercy me)! But make sure you ALWAYS have a dowdy alternative in the car because you don't want to be denied your visit. Once you get into the visiting center, you will give your sheet to the guard who will tell you where to sit (the tables are numbered, in no apparent sensical manner). I have found the CO's to be very nice there. Some are stricter than others, but in general just follow the rules and you'll be happy. The prisoner's cannot get up at any time after they have sat down and they can only go to the bathroom between 1:30 and 2pm. Hmmm let me think if there is something else. You can buy a debit card and put cash on it. There are several vending machines -- my favorite was the one with pints of ice cream. You can have your picture taken but your inmate needs to have it taken out of his account (you can't pay for it) and it has to be requested by a certain time. Feel free to ask me any other questions. I remember wishing I had this information before I went to visit! You get to hold hands and sit next to each other, but you cannot have parts of your body other than your hands touching (except of course during the hello and goodbye kiss). They call the visit over at about 3:50ish. It's a nice long visit.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:34 AM

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any recent information about AVCF?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 AM
nineironninja

Try doing a search for AVCF in the Colorado forum. There's a lot more up to date info than this.

why go back to prison when i have this to enjoy out here? Low & Slow
Old 09-01-2013, 09:25 AM
te amo

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineironninja View Post
Try doing a search for AVCF in the Colorado forum. There's a lot more up to date info than this.
i thought the state of colorado closed avcf??
Old 09-01-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss.MC View Post
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any recent information about AVCF?
What kind of info you need? My husband is there.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:37 AM
te amo

Cool

wow good to know its not closed! thanks for the answer

Last edited by luvmygreeneyes; 09-02-2013 at 12:49 AM..