Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 02-28-2004, 11:07 AM

Angry Edit, Edit, Edit???

Back. Still absolutely positively CANNOT EDIT even though the sign in page says I can. The grad program I have has change to this format and on our posts we have both an edit and delete option. Why can't I edit here?

WJ
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Angie loves Shawn 4-Ever

I still can't edit either. Hopefully they will get that fixed soon.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjr557
Back. Still absolutely positively CANNOT EDIT even though the sign in page says I can. Why can't I edit here?

WJ
There is a glich in the system and among a gizzilion other things, the admins ARE working on this problem. I'm also missing my edit button terribly, but we must be patient.

Let's finish them this time boys!!
WooHoo!!
Old 02-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Iconoclast!

I would also like to have the option to delete a post, no matter how old it is. I'm sure that we all have posts that we regret making, or that do not reflect us as a person anymore.

Blueviolet
Punitive punishments, whether they be the death penalty, Megan's law, 3-strikes, or mandatory miniums DO NOT deter crime or make society safer. They do not take into account that offenders are only human, and that humans make mistakes...and can change!
Old 02-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Me:Colorado; Wife:TDCJ

blueviolet, I absolutely agree with your request. If it's our post we should be able to dump it, we own it in many aspects, so why can't we be able to dump it no matter how old. How about it Fed-X?????

Old 02-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,654 Times in 349 Posts

blueviolet and Goose Bumps,

I will answer on behalf of Fed-X here... this will be a direct and straight forward answer so don't misunderstand the tone.

Members will not ever be given the ability to 'delete' a post from PTO. PTO is a ' threaded database' of information and if everyone had the ability to delete posts then you would quickly see gaps in information and threads that did not 'make sense'.

Here is the 'official' word from the PTO Policies and Rules:

Quote:
Deleting Posts and Closing Threads:
PTO Administration has the right to close or remove any post or thread we deem inappropriate. The decision to Close or Delete a Post/Thread is solely ours. We have a strict policy of keeping the posts in this community constructive. Posts that create an unnecessary amount of conflict and serve no further purpose may be closed at the moderator’s discretion. Further, it is the policy of this community NOT to delete posts unless the information in a post may put someone in jeopardy. It is the members responsibility to think of the potential consequences of the post they are about to make prior to doing so. Removing a post will often destroy readability of the thread by making it unreadable. Deleting the first post in a thread will cause the deletion of the entire thread. Members do not appreciate spending their time responding to posts only to have the post they make disappear, so we make it a point not to delete posts just because people change their mind after making a post.
The site (when fully functional) will give you the option to 'edit' what you have written within 30 minutes of posting the information - not longer. This is the only 'edit' ability a member will be given.

Your best defense is to consider what you are posting before you post it. Only if it is OBVIOUS or by PROVING that harm will come from a post will it be removed from the active site.

As a further notice - if you (any member) chooses to leave PTO and discontinue posting - your posts cannot and will not be removed.

Sorry for the bluntness - just wanted to get the message across and there is not sugar coated way to say 'no'.

The Prison System is Broken
Old 03-01-2004, 07:11 AM

So, in effect, what we post becomes the property of the site in ad infinitum to do with as it pleases???? ~ WJ ~ Kind of like putting built in shelves in a rental???
Old 03-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,830 Times in 1,600 Posts

In effect, yes, though your analogy is not correct regarding "putting built in shelves in a rental" because you are not PAYING anything for the use of this site or for the support and information you or anyone else receives. Anything that is "offered", or posted should be available FREE to anyone in the future. That basically is part of the Terms of Service of this site and I hardly think is unfair.
Because some people have left angry (usually because they have violated policies here) they often want all their past posts deleted. Well, that is not going to happen for the reasons stated above in Tebkrg's posts unless we think it is beneficial to community it do so.
Anyone that has a problem with the Terms of Service here is welcome not to post, which is everyone's option. Using this system and making posts is conditional on agreement with the TOS.
In case there is any question, almost all serious online communities have similar Terms of Service with regards to content.

Fed-X
Old 03-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Just as an update, the edit time has been moved up to one hour.

I have made posts about this in the past but I will repeat: the reason that there is not an unlimited amount of editing time is to prevent abuse and confusion. In the past people have made inflamitory comments only to go back and change them after many others have responded and claimed that they never said that. Everyone should treat posts here just as they would public addresses in front of large groups of people - with caution and reserve.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:26 PM

Fed-X

I truly honor your service to the families and friends of those incarcerated.

I am somewhat concerned about the policy but as I said I am also doing this same format on line for grad classes where, of course, the content is kept for grade assignment purposes. We do have the access to edit as we wish and to delete if we realize we are in error. I understand your need to monitor people's texts and to preserve a flow of information.

What bothers me is that people, largely of the female persuasion often come here not just for information but to vent and to receive support. The feelings they express may often be transitional and may later be ones they regret having stated. It just seems contradictory to encourage participation and then maintain the embarrassment that may linger due to a poor or too personally loaded post. I know you understand what I am saying. Are the chats also logged permanently and the PM's which are exchanged permanent too?

I think in our hearts those of us who come here not so much to get support but to
give support "pay" for our privilege with hours of researching and reading and prayers that what we say and do will bless those who are willing to put their pain on the electronic page. I am sorry if my analogy caught you the wrong way. Again, I think the site is wonderful but am sad that words captured here so painful for some to write might remain here long after their pain is gone.

Wishing you blessings,

WJ
Old 03-01-2004, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjr557

What bothers me is that people, largely of the female persuasion often come here not just for information but to vent and to receive support. The feelings they express may often be transitional and may later be ones they regret having stated. It just seems contradictory to encourage participation and then maintain the embarrassment that may linger due to a poor or too personally loaded post. I know you understand what I am saying. Are the chats also logged permanently and the PM's which are exchanged permanent too?
I think tebkrg put it the best by saying "Your best defense is to consider what you are posting before you post it." I think if people really thought before they spoke/posted then there wouldn't be such a hoopla regarding editing and deleting posts. I totally understand that people come here to vent and look for support, but lives move on and people change, it happens to all of us, so I think it's understandable that people's views will change...such is life, right??

I don't know about the chats, but once your PMs are exchanged you can print them, forward them, delete them, do whatever your little heart desires. No one else is going to read or distribute your PMs except for you and the person you are exchanging with.

Hope this helps....BTW guys, I LOVE the new format sooooooooo much...PTO blue has become my favorite color!

:fb:

Let's finish them this time boys!!
WooHoo!!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:24 AM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

WJ,
The chats are logged and I have off-line copies sent to me every night. I rarely, if ever review these unless there is a problem that occurs and I need to fall back on them to determine what has taken place. They are not available offline nor will they likely be with the exception of upcoming scheduled guest chats which many people will likely want to review.
As for Private Messages, they are the members to do with as they please. They are in the PTO system until you delete them or your account is removed. I think there is a modification that can be added that will allow me to "prune" out members PM based upon age or other specification but since I have a dedicated server with a lot of room, PM space isn't an issue so as far as I am concerned members can keep PM's forever if they like.
Hope this helps,
David