Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Salinas Valley State Prisons (SVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Salinas Valley State Prisons (SVSP) - California Topic and discussion specific to SVSP Salinas Valley State Prison located in Soledad, California.

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Visiting Salinas Valley State Prison? Dress code? Anything else I should know?

Hi everyone,
This is my first time actually really logging on. I could really use some advice. My man is moving from CYA to Tracy soon where they will be asking him about his “choice” placements lets just say he gets our first choice Salinas Valley. I am now just hearing some awful things. Is it really as awful as I have heard? Any one been to a visit there that is willing to share with me? Does it really take two hours to see your loved one and you can’t even touch and hold hands? At first I thought it a dream under the circumstances because it would be so close. He needs to be housed at the highest level prison and we have a long road ahead of us. I don’t mean to sound stupid but after hearing these horror stories is there any level four prison that is better then the other?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2007, 06:42 PM

its not bad.. i got to touch my husband and hold his hands ive only been to visit once

Destynee Ramirez
Old 12-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Banned

You can touch, hold hands, kiss at the beginning, but the prison sucks and yes, it can take up to two hours to be processed.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Lovin' me some him...

It's not that great...I have only went to one regular visit though. So maybe it has gotten better. If you are going to be getting family visits, I can help you there Just PM me.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:33 PM

Well This Weekend Will B My Second Time Going Up And I Had This Hole Diffrent Picture In My Head About Process And Stuff But My 1st Time I Got Thru It I Was #3 Thanks To Help Of Another Girl That Has Gone Thru The Process But To Tell U The Truth I Though It Was Worth It Even Though I Froze For A Little While Trying To Process And Get The Bus...ones U Hug And Kiss Theam U'll Forget The Time U Spent Waiting Out Side.....
Old 12-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Proud Wifey!!!
Donation Award 

I don't think it is that bad. However, this is the only prison I have ever been to, so I may not be the best source for you. It definitely is much better now than in the past. Just play by the rules and you should be fine. Everyone I have ever met there has been great. PM if you want more info

Last edited by coffeat9; 12-26-2007 at 11:13 PM..
Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 PM

I am going to visit my man in 2 weeks . I can't wait to see him, it's been way to long since I last saw him when he was in county. Now that he is in Salinas I will be taking a weekend trip to visit him. I miss him so much I have 1 year and 10 months until he's home in my arms again
Old 02-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Default 1st Visit have questions??

Hello Ladies,

I just found out I have finally been approved to visit my man, he is at S.V.S.P. and I believe he is on yard E, I am not real familar with what all that means or how the visit work for the yards. Is yard E an easy yard to get visits at?
I am planning a weekend trip to visit him at the end of this month however since I am new to the visiting situation I have a few questions as to what I can and can not ware. I have read that you can not wear denim blue jeans, can you wear black jeans? If anyone can help twith some idea as to what is okay to ware and what is NOT ok to ware that would be GREAT. Also what about if I get a ride to the Prison is that person allowed to drop me off at the entrance of the visiting department? This is so confusing at first I know once I finally get to see him it will all be worth it and my next visit will be much easier.. I just have to get over the first visit hurdle!!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Banned

It is best to wear black jeans or slacks, pink, purple colored tops. No blue whatsoever, no red, no brown, no yellow. Nothing see though and no underwire bras. Also weatch Victoria Secret bras, many of them have metal hooks but they look plastic. I believe E yard is level 1. You can have someone drop you off but visiting here is really wierd, at this prison the people line up the night before and put a car in line then goes back to the motel then comes back to the car in the morning. To process they only process 20 at a time so the co will call you 1-20, 21-40 and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartcrying

Hello Ladies,

I just found out I have finally been approved to visit my man, he is at S.V.S.P. and I believe he is on yard E, I am not real familar with what all that means or how the visit work for the yards. Is yard E an easy yard to get visits at?
I am planning a weekend trip to visit him at the end of this month however since I am new to the visiting situation I have a few questions as to what I can and can not ware. I have read that you can not wear denim blue jeans, can you wear black jeans? If anyone can help twith some idea as to what is okay to ware and what is NOT ok to ware that would be GREAT. Also what about if I get a ride to the Prison is that person allowed to drop me off at the entrance of the visiting department? This is so confusing at first I know once I finally get to see him it will all be worth it and my next visit will be much easier.. I just have to get over the first visit hurdle!!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 AM

Hi I'M4U,U4ME
Thank you so much for the feed back as to what I should wear I guess I'll need to go shopping since V.S. bra's are all I own... As to the car line up that information was also good to know. Now that I have a some helpful information all I need now is for the butterflies to go alway..
Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

Also SVSp has a vending mahine for food and an actual vendor who brings in pork chops, fried chicken, carne asada burrots, fresh fruit.

Quote:

Hi I'M4U,U4ME
Thank you so much for the feed back as to what I should wear I guess I'll need to go shopping since V.S. bra's are all I own... As to the car line up that information was also good to know. Now that I have a some helpful information all I need now is for the butterflies to go alway..
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Does the money really have to be in quarters only or can I bring 50 $1.00 dollar bills? For outfits what about a valour sweet suits, can you wear that as long as it's black or some other non prison color?
SORRY to bug you but I could really use all the help possible..
Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned

$1.00 are allowed here. I would wear black jeans or slacks. If Hneley or the other little snaggletooth feel it is too tight they will not let you in.

Quote:
Does the money really have to be in quarters only or can I bring 50 $1.00 dollar bills? For outfits what about a valour sweet suits, can you wear that as long as it's black or some other non prison color?
SORRY to bug you but I could really use all the help possible..
Old 02-08-2008, 11:57 AM

Got it, black jeans or slacks and 50 $1.00 bills with a clear hand bag.. This sounds like it's going to be a VERY interesting trip, but I know that all the hassle will be more than worth it. Just to be able to see him and talk to him in person (longer than the 15 minute phone calls) and even more exciting is to be able to fill his touch and to have him hold me even if it is for a short period of time..
Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
mrs.martinez1

hello everyone i am new to salinas valley and i just want to know if anyone can tell me about the visiting in the level one yard i think it is the ranch or something. i just want to know how it is as far as how you can dress and if i have to wait to visit if so how long and etc....
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,022 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.martinez1
hello everyone i am new to salinas valley and i just want to know if anyone can tell me about the visiting in the level one yard i think it is the ranch or something. i just want to know how it is as far as how you can dress and if i have to wait to visit if so how long and etc....
Level one is E yard. Just scroll up and read the previous posts. That should answer your questions. Although I would be careful with the black jeans if they have metal buttons and rivets.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:43 AM

Default Svsp The Blues

Hi All I've Been Going To S.v. For 2yrs And I've Seen Alot Of Changes. Try To Bye What I Call Prison Gear. They Change The Rules Whenever They Feel Like It. Also Black Is Safe For All The Yards. A-d Has More Restrictions Than E Yard. But On The Money You Can Only Bring 30.00 Per Adult 10.00 Per Child. And Not A Penny More They Will Make You Walk Back To Your Car. And If You Havent Been In A While You Can No Longer Hold Your Bra Going Through The Detector And They Dont Wand You.and Be Careful With Your Tops As Well And Always Bring Extra Pants And Shirts. I Wear 3x T-shirt And Cotton Drawstring Black Pants With No Metal On Them . But I Also Have Other Shirts That Are 2x 1x But Now The Send You Back If They Think Its To Tight And Becareful With Your Skirts As Well . Especially Women With Hips And Butt.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Donation Award 

Back in Nov. 2007 the CDCR raised the amount you can take into any Calif. prison to $50.00 for adults and $20.00 per child. The notice is supposed to be posted at all prisons. Not sure where it is posted at SVSP. But they do allow you to bring in that amount.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 AM
too far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacswife4l View Post
They Send You Back If They Think Its To Tight And Becareful With Your Skirts As Well . Especially Women With Hips And Butt.
hope you don't mind me asking but what do you mean by 'be careful with skirts - especially women with hips and butt'?
i am going to visit at salina's later this year and i only wear skirts and i do have hips and butt.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Donation Award 

Make sure you don't have panty lines. And it's not form fitting. That it goes to your knees. Front and back. lol And you wear a slip and it's black. You shouldn't have a problem. Make sure your bra has no metal. A sports bra or sew your bra on. The metal detector is overly sensitive. Good luck and have a nice visit.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM

Are the rules for CTF as strict as SVSP?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwoodpixie View Post
Are the rules for CTF as strict as SVSP?
Not at all.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Donation Award 

Just wanted to second that. Granted I haven't been able to visit in many months, but I'm guessing this hasn't changed. The biggest things they're picky about are wearing blue and green, and low necklines. Avoid blue and green until you know what they like and what they don't like, and make sure your shirt comes up to about your collarbones and you should be fine. Oh, and no black converse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLINUS View Post
Not at all.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Just wanted to second that. Granted I haven't been able to visit in many months, but I'm guessing this hasn't changed. The biggest things they're picky about are wearing blue and green, and low necklines. Avoid blue and green until you know what they like and what they don't like, and make sure your shirt comes up to about your collarbones and you should be fine. Oh, and no black converse.
Excellent. Thank you! I'm waiting on my visiting papers, but I want to figure out the process way ahead of time. I'm sorta neurotic. LOL
Closed Thread