Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Head over heals

Default Inmates graduate in San Quentin ceremony

Inmates graduate in San Quentin ceremony
Becca MacLaren
Article Launched: 06/28/2007 06:19:07 PM PDT

var requestedWidth = 0;
if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } Some of the men, who wore tasseled caps and gowns over their prison-issued blue denims, are serving life sentences. Others are newbies - behind bars less than a year. And the keynote speaker: a bank-robber-turned-author. In an emotional graduation ceremony Thursday, seven inmates received associate's degrees at San Quentin State Prison - the newest batch of graduates in the state's only on-site prison college program. They were joined in the front pews of the prison chapel by a few dozen men who had earned their GEDs, high school diplomas and vocational certificates.

http://www.marinij.com/marin/ci_6255302

I know we are all focused ont he federal judges right now, but i thought this was an important article. Congrats to the graduates!

He's finally Home! 18 months and counting.....
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

I love hearing that they are getting educated. Even if it is only a few. Hopefully that will change.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Donation Award 

Oops computer too slow. Double post.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Head over heals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris1
Oops computer too slow. Double post.
i know how that goes.....i hear ya, i wish it was more than a few dozen and its sad san quentin is the only prison with an on site prison college program, but at least there is one!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Donation Award 

Actually there are others. My son is in Ironwood State Prison and Chuckawalla is next door in Blythe. The college there just graduated over 100 inmates in their AA program and GED program. He just started the program. Palo Verde College. They have other programs in other prison to. I'm not sure which ones. The AA program is all in your cell study. There is no classroom. The GED program they have class. Education does work.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Donation Award 

This is good to hear. I'm hoping my son will get his GED at the very least. It's great to hear positive things like this.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Head over heals

Quote:
Actually there are others. My son is in Ironwood State Prison and Chuckawalla is next door in Blythe. The college there just graduated over 100 inmates in their AA program and GED program. He just started the program. Palo Verde College. They have other programs in other prison to. I'm not sure which ones. The AA program is all in your cell study. There is no classroom. The GED program they have class. Education does work.
the program in san quentin is in classroom education, the only one in california prison, from what i can tell. i know many colleges do in cell education, the college i went to, university of la verne, actually has a lot of graduates who are incarcerated. the women involved in the manson murders actually got degrees from ulv. my sister used to work admissions at university of san francisco and had several applicants from state prison. as long as they can get the text books and mail in assignments, i guess it works! i think most prisons have this kind of education in the cell. but it is unique to have an actual university in the prison. my fiance was next door to your son at chuckawalla and got his ged there.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Donation Award 

At least it is something positive to do with their time. Rather than sit there and become a blob. They don't have anything else to do so why not get educated. It is hard to get them to start the program, but once they do they like it.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
At least it is something positive to do with their time. Rather than sit there and become a blob. They don't have anything else to do so why not get educated. It is hard to get them to start the program, but once they do they like it.
This is so true. My one consoling thought about my son being there is that MAYBE he will be able to get his GED or HS Diploma. He only had two weeks to go when he dropped out of school. It sounds like if it is going to happen for him it will be because I get him a correspondence course. Do you know anything about programs for that?

Old 06-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Head over heals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksie2645
This is so true. My one consoling thought about my son being there is that MAYBE he will be able to get his GED or HS Diploma. He only had two weeks to go when he dropped out of school. It sounds like if it is going to happen for him it will be because I get him a correspondence course. Do you know anything about programs for that?
where is your son?