Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 AM
just another human

Default Associate degree correspondence programs for CA inmates?

My brother-in-law is at a fire camp and is interested in getting his AA degree. His goal is to be able to transfer in to a CSU school after he gets released in a couple years.

Can anyone point me to a quality, accredited AA correspondence program from a California junior college? I need to find one that will be recognized by the CSU system and hopefully the UC system too.

Thank you!

-Kris
"Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment."

-M. Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

Kris- My son is in Ironwood State Prison and they have an AA program through Palo Verde College. The person you would contact is Vicky Attaway or Nancy. I don't know Nancy's last name. I don't know which Prisons they work with. It's worth a try. Firecamp is a little different. 760-921-5544. Good Luck.

I know there are more out there so I am sure others will give you more information.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Associate Degrees

Hi Kris,

Coastline Community College in Fountain Valley, Ca. offers excellent courses for an associate degree.

http://coastline.cccd.edu/

Go to the distance learn page and check out the courses labeled "telecourses". These are all done with "paper only" and the cost is the same as any "on campus" student pays ($26 per unit now??). No need for internet access. The best part is that inmates can get the tuition paid for by the Board of Governors and the only cost to inmates is their books. They only need to apply for this perk.

Coastline will gladly send you and your loved one a catalog of courses and are very helpful with enrolling first-timers. Here is a course I would suggest to start with:

COUN 105
SUCCEEDING IN COLLEGE

3 units Section: 8048
12 week course Start: 2/26/2007 End: 05/27/07

NGUYEN A B

It is a great course to understand oneself and family dynamics, for success in college. Self-study is difficult and I would suggest this one to start. More than two classes at a time is very challenging.

My son is about to graduate and has organized other inmates for study groups that allowed the exchange of books and materials over the course of the last two years. In addition, he wrote to the warden and was given a classroom for study and a TV with a DVD player that gave them access to the companion DVDs offered with the telecourses.

I just don't know how fire camps work as far as a classroom might apply. My son did a year of study without one. Courses are offered year round. He has inspired others to take courses and they have since formed a class of their own to learn universal sign language and Spanish, without the college. They just bought some books from a vendor and meet almost every day for pursuit of this endeavor.

Every single member of PTO should encourage their loved one to enroll in this college if they have the money for the books. The rest is just time and a desire to step outside the walls of their minds and environment. Good luck. Tam