Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Alabama should be posted here.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:18 AM

Default Violation of Pre-Trial Release, what does this mean?

My fiance was in a local rehab facility that was court ordered with vehicle privileges and one night he got in late and was popped a drug test. He failed the drug test and his keys were taken and he was told he would be taken to jail the following morning. Well he grew impatient during the night and left in his vehicle. He got arrested a few weeks later during a routine traffic stop. His charge on the inmate website says "VIOLATION OF PRE-TRIAL RELEASE".. can anyone tell me any information on what this could possibly mean? I understand it depends on many factors, but he said the Rehab center would be willing to take him back into the program in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2017, 06:16 AM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,481 Times in 16,820 Posts

It means the Judge gave him the opportunity to avoid jail/prison by getting help for his issues and he didn't keep up his end of the deal. Even if the rehab will take him back, it will be up to the Judge to give him yet another bite at the apple. If the answer is no, he'll possible remain in jail while his original charges go through the court process.

I do hope he is given another chance at rehab and takes it serious. Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 05-31-2017, 07:21 AM

Eghh.. i was afraid of that. Hopefully he will get a second chance.. the guy that is over the rehab sounded like he was pretty confident he would be able to get him back soon, but he could have just been wishful thinking also. Thank you for your reply!
The Following User Says Thank You to Meme8443 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-31-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 07:53 AM

Thanked 11,108 Times in 6,008 Posts

He ALSO needs to be aware of the statutes that may apply regarding 'escape' from a community correctional center if the pre-trial placement qualifies. If the statutory provisions apply, then that could be coming down the pike once it is presented to the grand jury...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
patchouli (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme8443 View Post
My fiance was in a local rehab facility that was court ordered with vehicle privileges and one night he got in late and was popped a drug test. He failed the drug test and his keys were taken and he was told he would be taken to jail the following morning. Well he grew impatient during the night and left in his vehicle. He got arrested a few weeks later during a routine traffic stop. His charge on the inmate website says "VIOLATION OF PRE-TRIAL RELEASE".. can anyone tell me any information on what this could possibly mean? I understand it depends on many factors, but he said the Rehab center would be willing to take him back into the program in a couple of weeks.

Pre-trial release is what allows defendants to be somewhere else besides jail while their case makes its way through the system. Whether he was out on bail or was ROR, both fall under pre-trial release. Violating the terms of pre-trial release results in a bench warrant for arrest, and then it's up to the judge what additional penalties to impose -- higher bail, more fees, or just revoking pre-trial release, which means he would stay in jail until his case is resolved.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZski For This Useful Post:
patchouli (06-03-2017)