Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Kentucky.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:58 AM

Default Eastern Kentucky Correctional Complex- violence

Hello, was wondering if I could get some insight. My dad was transferred to this place last week, and was jumped by 6 men 3 days ago. He was supposed to go to one of 3 places with SOTP, which he asked for the class, but his case worker at Roederer never signed him up for it. Anyways, can he still keep requesting that class, and is there anyway to get him moved before he ends up seriously injured or worse?? We are sick with worry and need help! None of us know what to do, including him! Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2019, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,022 Times in 2,990 Posts

Unfortunately, no, there is not way to get him moved. He'll have to request a transfer but he has to be there 6 months or more, or he can "check in" to protective custody which is like segregation and that follows him to all prisons so its not a good idea. Also unfortunately, SOTP takes 2 years to complete and there is a waiting list. Most people that need to take it aren't signed up until they are close to a parole date.

CPP
3. Priority placement shall be given to an eligible sex offender who has not
received a prior opportunity for the SOTP and is within 48 months of the
offender’s earliest possible release date.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
Unfortunately, no, there is not way to get him moved. He'll have to request a transfer but he has to be there 6 months or more, or he can "check in" to protective custody which is like segregation and that follows him to all prisons so its not a good idea. Also unfortunately, SOTP takes 2 years to complete and there is a waiting list. Most people that need to take it aren't signed up until they are close
3. Priority placement shall be given to an eligible sex offender who has not
received a prior opportunity for the SOTP and is within 48 months of the
offenderís earliest possible release date.

Thank you for the reply. That's why all of this mess is so crazy. He is eligible for parole in January. He asked for the class, they said try your GED first. Then moved him to Ekcc.
Hopefully he makes it to be able to take the class and get out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kpowell1227 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,022 Times in 2,990 Posts

Since he recently went in and is eligible in January, there wasn't a 2 year frame for him to be on the wait list and get in to complete the program. He'll most likely serve out his time, day for day and then have to take it on the street. He will not get paroled in January. SOs do not get paroled if they have not completed SOTP. He'll get a deferrment and won't be able to get any good time credits until he has served 85% now.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Since he recently went in and is eligible in January, there wasn't a 2 year frame for him to be on the wait list and get in to complete the program. He'll most likely serve out his time, day for day and then have to take it on the street. He will not get paroled in January. SOs do not get paroled if they have not completed SOTP. He'll get a deferrment and won't be able to get any good time credits until he has served 85% now.
This whole system is a complete sham. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:21 PM

Hello I know this is a older post but was wondering how’s your dad getting along in there? My brother recently got transferred there and I just found out he’s in isolation. We don’t know what happened and we contacted the prison and they just confirmed that he’s in isolation but won’t tell us why,what happens or if he’s ok. any info would be appreciated I’m new to this site and don’t even know how to create a new post.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:55 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,874 Times in 12,632 Posts

Your brother will have to tell you what happened in a letter, the prison probably won't.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:59 AM
Donation Award 

Does he have money on his phone account? I believe they are allowed a phone call on Saturdays.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:45 AM

Yes he does that’s the fist thing we did. We thought that was the issue,but he still hasn’t called. That’s not like him if he is able to call he would. We also have been sending him letters and no reply still.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brod View Post
Hello I know this is a older post but was wondering howís your dad getting along in there? My brother recently got transferred there and I just found out heís in isolation. We donít know what happened and we contacted the prison and they just confirmed that heís in isolation but wonít tell us why,what happens or if heís ok. any info would be appreciated Iím new to this site and donít even know how to create a new post.
Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. Hopefully you've heard from your brother by now.
My dad is doing ok. He was in protective custody because he got jumped his 2nd day there. He was in that for almost a month.he was able to call once a week while in PC, and had a limited list of things he could order. Like they wouldn't let him have a pen or pencil. He eventually had a guard that got him a penew so he could write us. If you are close enough to visit, call and ask if he can have visitors, if so, he can have visitors on Mondays.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kpowell1227 For This Useful Post:
Brod (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 PM

Thanks for responding. I’m glad your dads not in pc no more hopefully he’s doing good and adjusting ok.

We still haven’t heard from my brother but we did hear from a guard. We’re not sure what happened but she said that he has a few more days in the isolation unit and that he would call us when he can. She wasnt able to get a hold of his case manager and on her computer it just showed that he was in isolation. By the sound of it we believe he got into a fight. There were some men messing with him. I guess will just have to wait and see what happens next this is the 3rd week we haven’t heard from him.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brod View Post
Thanks for responding. Iím glad your dads not in pc no more hopefully heís doing good and adjusting ok.

We still havenít heard from my brother but we did hear from a guard. Weíre not sure what happened but she said that he has a few more days in the isolation unit and that he would call us when he can. She wasnt able to get a hold of his case manager and on her computer it just showed that he was in isolation. By the sound of it we believe he got into a fight. There were some men messing with him. I guess will just have to wait and see what happens next this is the 3rd week we havenít heard from him.
According to my dad, the case workers never have time for anything or anybody. When I first called to check on him they had me leave a message, and nobody ever called back. So I called a couple days later and asked if he could have visitors and they said yes, on Monday's.
He is doing as best he can I suppose. I'm still scared for him. The guys he had trouble with they have moved to all the cells surrounding him, so he is still on the lookout.
I hope you hear from your brother soon.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:41 PM

Yes I guess that’s the same thing going on with my brother. We still haven’t heard from him. The guard did tell us that he’s allowed 1 phone call on Saturday,but he still hasn’t called. I know that if he could he would have called already. The guard did say that just because they are allowed the call they don’t always give it to them,without much explanation. I know that there were some guys bothering him and he was trying his best to stay away from them,but he said it’s hard to get away from them. So we are guessing that something must have happened. Also they were going to transfer him to a different unit but then he got sent to isolation. It’s very true what you said about the case worker till this day after many voicemails left we still haven’t heard from him. Thanks for taking the time and replying.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Inmates required to complete SOTP will not even see the board (Class A/B) or receive a file review (Class C/D) unless they have completed the program. The listed parole eligibility date will freeze and never change.

SOTP requirements are such that an offender is not eligible for the program until they are within the "48 month" period, but nothing requires KYDOC to actually allow them to enter the class. Offenders who do not complete the SOTP will serve 100% of their sentence and are not eligible for Mandatory Reintegration Supervision (MRS) or Administrative Release. Offenders will "accrue" Meritorious Good Time (MGT), but it won't be applied unless/until they complete the SOTP. Refusal to enter the program or removal from the program will result in loss of MGT for a period of 6 months. The real kicker is that most people (inmate and family) will misunderstand the terms of the sentence. Prosecutors will often offer plea agreements and throw around a "20%" sentence time. This is for parole eligibility ONLY. In Kentucky, sexual based crimes under Chapter 510 are automatically considered violent and fall under the 85% rule. Unfortunately, they give a 20% parole eligibility, but never mention the requirement that the offender complete SOTP.

Inmates convicted of a sexual based crime will also be required to complete a Conditional Discharge period of five (5) years. This is a version of parole which, if revoked, will result in the return of the inmate to the prison system for the remainder of the discharge period on a day-for-day basis (no MGT).

SOTP is/was offered at three locations: KSR, Northpoint, and Luckett. KSR reduced the inmate population by more than half in 2018 due to the condemning of Dorms 4, 5, 6, 8, and 11. Dorm 2 was closed in 2012, I believe, for the same reason. Dorms 10, Dorm 12, Nursing Care (NCF), and DAL (Daily Assisted Living) are considered the Medical dorms. Dorm 10 is also split into 2 sections. One section has yard access, the other (along with NCF) do not.

SOTP at KSR is scheduled for 24-30 months (1 90-min session a week, 10 weeks a segment, 2 or 3 weeks between segments as "off-time"). Other locations are reported to have shorter program times.

As an aside, while the legal statutes state an offender required to take SOTP "may be required to complete a community based component", in reality, I've never heard of an inmate being released on Conditional Discharge NOT having to re-take SOTP on the outside. It should be noted that anyone with a 20-year sex offender registration period that the timer on that period does NOT start until after the offender is off the conditional discharge period (and, yes, they still have to register during that discharge period). Effectively, it adds another 5 years to the length of registration for those who didn't get a life-time registration period (KY only has 2 tiers: 20 years and life-time).

It will be a very long, tough road for anyone in this situation.. The best thing anyone can do for their loved ones is maintain contact and let them know they've not been forgotten.

Be strong for them!