Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:24 PM

Default BOP phone questions

I am being sentenced in shortly and not certain if I will get a date to report. I am trying to get my non-tech savvy husband set up for the worst. Is it correct that I have to get him a cell phone in his name with the bill coming to our address nd he cannot use any services like cricket? The home phone has to be in his name as well? Previously I had all of this in my name, but I think I need to change everything before I leave. I am presuming the email available is fairly easy to use as long as he accepts my request ?

I know these topics have been discussed, but I am concerned that anyone who has prepaid mobile will be unable to be called? Also, are we permitted to have business numbers on our number list? One of my friends is much easier to call at her employment as her cell phone service is very sparse at her residence.
Thank you again. This site is invaluable. My fear is through the roof

Last edited by Future Fright; 05-12-2019 at 02:47 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,901 Times in 12,648 Posts

For you to include a number on your "approved to call" phone list doesn't require anything special on his end. It can be Cricket, prepaid, whatever. All of the additional requirements you mentioned are for your personal phones when you are in a half way house, home confinement, and/or on post prison supervised release. One recipient can be listed under more than one phone number too, home & cell for sure, but I'm not sure about a business phone number. All the ITS phone system knows is if a number is approved to call, or not, so if the counselor adds a number to your list, the calls will go through.

Once you know where you are going, you can reduce your phone costs from 21 cents/min to 6 cents/min by having his cell phone provider assign it a number that is a local call from that prison (area code and prefix), but "call forwarding applications" are a violation of the bop phone policy that carry significant punishments if discovered. Some folks, at certain prisons, have gotten away with using google voice, a forwarding program, but others have posted that they lost complete phone access for 3 years for using the same thing.

Once you send him an invitation email message, and he replies to that specific message, you will be able to send and receive messages to/from that email address, so make sure he also checks for messages that have been moved to spam or trash folders too. You will be charged 5 cents/min whenever you are logged into the email computer to either read or write messages.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 05-12-2019 at 05:06 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Future Fright (05-12-2019), keywii (05-12-2019), sidewalker (05-13-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 08:30 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Inmates can't receive calls, they can only make them. Call forwarding can change outgoing call rates paid by the prisoner from long distance (21 cents/min) to local (6 cents/min) but it isn't allowed by the bop.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM

Thanked 1,591 Times in 802 Posts

He can get a cell phone and when he activates it ask for it to have an area code that is the same area code as the prison you'll be at. That way when you call him it will be local.

Aside from that, you do not need to change anything out of your name to his name. You don't need to close your accounts, etc. What you should do however, is call and make sure he is an authorized user on these accounts in case he needs to access them or close them for any reason.

Where my husband was recently, they didn't do anything about google voice, but he was in a camp. The prisons are well aware of the new technologies and the fact that many people use cell phones only these days and no longer have land lines. With the changing technology, the prisons are changing as well. You won't know where your prison stands on this issue until you get there. There are a lot of other issues they are more concerned with than this one. You just have to wait to find out as the information changes so frequently these days.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:22 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Getting a phone number assigned with the same area code as the prison doesn't always result in a "local call". It must have a prefix that is in the prison's local calling range too.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:02 AM

Perhaps this depends on custody level and institution, but I just wanted to pipe up that, in fact, we ran into this very issue, and the facility will not approve numbers whose account holders don't match the submitted name. My LO's mother's number was rejected for approval because it's a prepaid phone. However, they did say that they'd approve it if she sent in a bill showing she pays for it. I have a feeling, though, that these stringent standards are applied increasingly strictly as the level of custody increases. My hubs is at a USP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taliba00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-23-2019)