Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Old 03-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Default Task Force Makes Recomendations 3/21/05

www.michigan.gov

Last Update: March 21, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jail and prison overcrowding task force makes recommendations
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Michigan Task Force on Jail and Prison Overcrowding, which included representatives of the Michigan Sheriffs’ Association, the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan and other Law Enforcement representatives, presented their final report to Governor Jennifer M. Granholm and Task Force members’ associations today in Lansing.

The Task Force also included representatives of the Michigan Association of Counties, the Michigan Department of Corrections, the Michigan Judges Association, the Michigan District Judges Association, the State Court Administrative Office, and the Defense Bar. The work of the Task Force was facilitated by a Principal from the Center for Effective Public Policy [on behalf of the National Institute of Corrections (NIC)]. In addition, information regarding national programs was presented to the Task Force by a representative from the Pretrial Services Resources Center.

"Members of the Task Force have worked diligently reviewing the capacity concerns of the state’s jails and prisons and have developed strategies for more effective and efficient utilization of jail and prison resources without compromising public safety," Teresa Bingman, Deputy Legal Counsel for the Governor and Chairperson of the Task Force said, "The Governor appreciates their efforts and is anxious to review the Task Force’s solutions to Michigan’s incarceration issues."

Michigan Department of Corrections Director Patricia L. Caruso said her department is prepared to consider many of the recommendations. "The Task Force has identified strategies to stabilize and ultimately reduce the growing jail and prison populations," said Caruso. "The report outlines the need for collaboration among the communities, state departments and local sheriff’s departments."

Some of the substantive strategies to criminal justice leaders and policy-makers from the Task Force include:

· Encourage rational planning and collaboration efforts between the state and counties that emphasize efficient and effective utilization of jail and prison resources, and that do not compromise pubic safety.

· Explore ways to increase the number of residential placement services for offenders who are in jail because there are no treatment or secure settings available.

· Encourage counties to enhance pretrial services programs by incorporating a validated risk and needs assessment tool, one of the least and cost-effective measures to ensure offender’s compliance. This tool will help determine an offender’s current risk of failure to appear or risk of recidivism when bond is set, and when the court utilizes new technology such as electronic monitoring.

· Encourage increased collaboration among courts, law enforcement, corrections and mental health agencies to identify, divert and treat mentally ill offenders.

· Assess county jail capacity in each jurisdiction to determine whether there is a need for expansion. Any recommendations should be based on an extensive analysis of the criminal justice system, jurisdiction by jurisdiction, and utilize a specialized work group (such as the Michigan Task Force on Jail and Prison Overcrowding) that is assisted by state or national criminal justice experts (such as the NIC or a similar organization). Moreover, recommendations should focus on providing flexible responses to a diverse offender population (e.g., gender, classification).

· Encourage counties to enhance jail services and diversion programs for mentally ill offenders, especially those awaiting forensic examination.

· Support the MDOC efforts to reduce recidivism through the Michigan Prisoner Re-Entry Initiative and encourage re-entry initiatives at local levels

A final copy of the report will be available on the michigan.gov Web site soon.

Michigan Department of Corrections FYI 03-17-05

Deb

September 10th 2009
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

I can't say whats really go thru my mind - I'd have to ban myself for language policy violations.
Quote:
· Encourage rational planning and collaboration efforts between the state and counties that emphasize efficient and effective utilization of jail and prison resources, and that do not compromise pubic safety.
Can someone explain this to me in plain English?

Quote:
· Explore ways to increase the number of residential placement services for offenders who are in jail because there are no treatment or secure settings available.
They tried that and it was even successful - but they are shutting them all down due to the budget cuts.

Quote:
· Encourage counties to enhance pretrial services programs by incorporating a validated risk and needs assessment tool, one of the least and cost-effective measures to ensure offender’s compliance. This tool will help determine an offender’s current risk of failure to appear or risk of recidivism when bond is set, and when the court utilizes new technology such as electronic monitoring.
Good idea! Bail with tether should be utilized to the max. Let the guy awaiting trial out so he can work and even possibly show the courts some positive actions that could and should lead to a lesser sentence as long as they are showing that they are altering their destructive/crime ridden lives. At least give them a CHANCE!

Quote:
· Encourage increased collaboration among courts, law enforcement, corrections and mental health agencies to identify, divert and treat mentally ill offenders.
Quote:
· Encourage counties to enhance jail services and diversion programs for mentally ill offenders, especially those awaiting forensic examination.
Well.. how do they expect to do this when they are closing the state run psychiatric facilities? They are even cutting the county mental health budgets to the point where many are being given a MINIMUM of services.

Quote:
· Assess county jail capacity in each jurisdiction to determine whether there is a need for expansion. Any recommendations should be based on an extensive analysis of the criminal justice system, jurisdiction by jurisdiction, and utilize a specialized work group (such as the Michigan Task Force on Jail and Prison Overcrowding) that is assisted by state or national criminal justice experts (such as the NIC or a similar organization). Moreover, recommendations should focus on providing flexible responses to a diverse offender population (e.g., gender, classification).
OK... we have empty prisons and overcrowded jails. Already Saginaw County is considering taking over the Saginaw Center. With all the proposed programs our jails are still full...why not create a couple of state "jails" in one or two of the empty prisons.. the buildings are already there. Why build/expand more jails when the housing is readily available? Each county could be responsible for their prisoners who are incarcerated in the state jails, just as they pay for inmates they house in other, lesser filled county jails all over the state.

Quote:
· Support the MDOC efforts to reduce recidivism through the Michigan Prisoner Re-Entry Initiative and encourage re-entry initiatives at local levels
Great idea, but they still aren't paroling inmates who could make a successful reentry. The parole board decisions don't make sense these days. They are paroling guys who they KNOW will be back and keeping those who have lots of family support and good chances at not reoffending! It seems like this SDRAWKCAB way of paroling people needs to STOP!

Ok.. Granny is off her soapbox
Old 03-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

you go Granny Soapbox! Tell it like it is!

Old 03-24-2005, 06:28 AM
Dedicated Love

All of the ideas see rather passive and do nothing to effect a cure, like treating the symptoms instead of the disease. It looks like their plan will create some new jobs though, and require more funds. They could greatly reduce population and cost by only incarcerating those that are dangerous to society. They can tether those they want to put restrictions on.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:39 AM
Round 2

Quote:

All of the ideas see rather passive and do nothing to effect a cure, like treating the symptoms instead of the disease. It looks like their plan will create some new jobs though, and require more funds. They could greatly reduce population and cost by only incarcerating those that are dangerous to society. They can tether those they want to put restrictions on.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't see any sagnificant plan here. I see a bunch of "assessing" and "encouraging." SOunds to me like a bunch of people sitting around still trying to identify what to do, yet still not sure HOW to do it! THey are wasting MORE time STILL talking. THey need to start puting things in action.

I agree Mrs D. Start utilizing what's already available. And STOP closing and cutting what's CHEAPER to utilize!

Stacy
Old 03-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Closed

They never report anything in Lyman's terms where you can really say ok this is what they mean. It's like it has to have many meanings or angles of looking at it. They wasted money to put together a task force for? Something that they already know they need to do; get up in there and change some of the legislations that are requiring to keep our loved ones minimal time before their release (TIS) As we watch this budget thing unfold I would really like to see if they get backed into the wall on some of laws they have in place! Once some of those jobs become threatened we'll see how fast they re-consider some things!
Old 03-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Uh...Yeah...

In otherwords....Ahh Crap...never mind. Thanks for posting.
Mom said that if you cant say nothing nice to keep your damn mouth shut. I think Ill just take her advice this time but thanks Mrs D for taking some of the words right out of my mouth.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Live, Love, Laugh

It's kinda like looking through the eye of a house fly...it's a little different from each angle isn't it?

After 25 years, I can wait 2 - 7 more!

Love is sweeter the second time around!

Old 03-25-2005, 06:07 AM
Round 2

Quote:

It's kinda like looking through the eye of a house fly...it's a little different from each angle isn't it?
LMAO! Thanks, I've always wanted to be fly on the wall. Now I know what it feels like

I just wish all this assessing and reccommending would lead to something positive. I'm tired of our money being wasted on our inmates that would, could live out here. I'm tired of them taking away from our children's education. Their excuses of security is only a false sense.

Ok done complaining

Stacy
Old 03-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Live, Love, Laugh

The whole thing just scares the %&*# out of me. Especially after reading about the latest parole denial in the Probation and Parole Forum. As you can see I say I can wait 2-7 years. Two seems like forever...seven seems fornever at times.

They seem spend more money on research & studying and research groups and task forces then they actually spend on instructors and couselors for the proper classes and programs that will allow our family members to be paroled and become productive members of society. Wow...quite the run-on sentence wasn't it? Sorry...'they' irritate the &%$* out of me.

I thought the politics in the south were bad...now I'm beginning to remember why I moved from Michigan.

After 25 years, I can wait 2 - 7 more!

Love is sweeter the second time around!

Old 03-25-2005, 12:25 PM
~BELIEVE~7-10-06~
Donation Award 

...written word over and over again looks so good to those who don't know/don't care...the words never seem to become the intended actions that are always written about...and that's the frustrating aspect of this whole picture...show me...don't tell me anymore!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Well I certainly don't know enough to even comment---

And all of you are right that they're talking all this crap and not doing s_it--
Talk talk talk talk ... blah blah

But Maybe, possibly, this time, now that there is absolutely NO ROOM left anywhere and it really *Seems* like they MUST release guys Now... that they will.
Rumors are going around that guys are getting called back a lot more
partway through their flops...

And, isn't it true that if the Mdoc is actually taking action,
they're not about to release it to all the news outlets because
all the constituents would raise hell if they heard about some
"mass exodus" from the prisons?
So if the Doc does anything, they're not about to talk about it anyway?

I don't know. Trying to have faith here...
Old 03-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Round 2

Quote:
I don't know. Trying to have faith here...
I hear ya! Faith is ALL we can have right now. I agree, that if they're planning ANYTHING they're not going to go blab it all over the place. At the same time ANY change has to come thru legislature. So we'll be hearing it sooner then later.

Stacy
Old 05-26-2005, 10:28 AM

Here's the official report. Michigan Task Force on Jail and Prison Overcrowding