Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:06 AM

When I was first released, I made the mistake of doing a search for my name and saw pages of data on my criminal acts.

I learned that when I am looking for information, I tend to stop looking once I find what I'm looking for. So, since I didn't want to play "Whack-a-mole" with Mugshots.com and pay them to remove my picture and then have to pay them again for the same post on another site, I decided it was time to get my name out there for other reasons.

Enter social media.

I opened a facebook, twitter, Instagram, snapchat, Klout, Myspace - every social media account I could think of.

Then, I did a search for my name again, and clicked only on the results that were positive, or not negative information about me.

Within a couple of weeks, knowing the Google will return results that are clicked on the most, I spent some time clicking on my social media links, ignoring the other results. Eventually, all the negatives got pushed back to the third page.

I still have a negative on Duck-duck-go, but that one isn't as popular, so I'm just hoping most folks aren't that curious about me and don't use that search engine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigpappy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-15-2018), Nickel Timer (05-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2018, 03:41 AM
Married May 27, 2017!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpappy View Post
When I was first released, I made the mistake of doing a search for my name and saw pages of data on my criminal acts.

I learned that when I am looking for information, I tend to stop looking once I find what I'm looking for. So, since I didn't want to play "Whack-a-mole" with Mugshots.com and pay them to remove my picture and then have to pay them again for the same post on another site, I decided it was time to get my name out there for other reasons.

Enter social media.

I opened a facebook, twitter, Instagram, snapchat, Klout, Myspace - every social media account I could think of.

Then, I did a search for my name again, and clicked only on the results that were positive, or not negative information about me.

Within a couple of weeks, knowing the Google will return results that are clicked on the most, I spent some time clicking on my social media links, ignoring the other results. Eventually, all the negatives got pushed back to the third page.

I still have a negative on Duck-duck-go, but that one isn't as popular, so I'm just hoping most folks aren't that curious about me and don't use that search engine.
Then you have some crimes where they aren't even allowed to use the Internet, let alone social media. What does a former felon on parole (for life) do in that situation?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:58 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,988 Times in 11,681 Posts

In today's computer driven world, not being able to use the internet is a very nasty punishment for sure. Even so, violating that restriction opens them up for a return to prison for a parole violation, so it is what it is.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:08 PM

Thanked 1,485 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
Then you have some crimes where they aren't even allowed to use the Internet, let alone social media. What does a former felon on parole (for life) do in that situation?

My son can't have unsupervised internet access so the only thing to do is ask people to help you by clicking on anything positive about you online. They can also blog for you (post blogs but mention they are your words posted by someone else), post things positive on other sites & mention your name, etc. The goal is for anything positive to rise higher on Google & the bad stuff to be moved to pages 3 & further. It takes a lot of work. There was a free site called Brandyourself.com where you could make a profile & then it would list the negative results so you could manage them.