Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Ohio DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Ohio Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 PM

Default How often do inmates go to commissary?

how often do the inmates go to commissionary each month?

also, when someone puts $ on their books, are they told thru the prison system, or does the individuals (us) have to tell them that we put it on there?
The Following User Says Thank You to Shy_Dia For This Useful Post:
tboyle3 (04-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2011, 12:47 PM

I guess it just depends on the State or County..

My Husband goes to store once a month and he is notified when he receives money.. He also checks his balance before he goes.. This is pretty much the same in all of the California Prisons..
Old 08-31-2011, 01:00 PM
チェッカー
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,353 Times in 393 Posts

Yeah, it really does depend on where they're at. I was on several different units here in Texas during my incarceration, and some places I went to the store twice a week, some units once a month. Even longer if we was on lock-down. We'd get "trust fund" statements about once a month telling us our deposits and withdraws, but it is better to let them know so they can go before the statements come out. They'll tell you if your broke soon as you hand them your commissary card.

Keep in mind, I'm only talking about Texas and I'm talking over 10 years ago as well.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:04 PM
True to the Game

My boyfriend goes twice a month. He also goes look on his own and finds out who deposits the money.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:16 AM

I think it also may be related to their classification. I always let my son know how much $ I have added so he can be sure it is posted to his account.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Since this is an Ohio forum, you may need to check with the state they are incarcerated in. My experience has been this. Mine goes once a week. I usually tell him how much is there. However, when he goes to commissary he can only use 65 that day even though he may be sitting on more than 65. Classification, behavior, RIB infractions, etc etc....there are several factors when it comes to how often they are able to go to commissary. Mine never knows exactly how much is on his account unless I have actually told him what was sent or palced on his account. Hope this helps. Be blessed
Old 09-02-2011, 04:15 AM

Thanked 8,633 Times in 2,107 Posts

I have found it is prison specific. My daughter always gets a slip telling her money was added to her account and by who within two days after putting the money on there. She normally shops twice a month and i think her limit is 120.00 per shop ( not that she ever has that LOL )
However my son never knows when someone adds money and i have to tell him personally or he wont know. I think he can go twice a month too but is limited to 85.00 a shop.
My daughter told me she is not permitted to just check her ID to see how money she has and always keeps her reciepts to keep track of what she has and spends.
Guys at OSP recieve notification too when money is added to their account, however i have heard the new company ( offenderconnect) is not doing this anymore so i am not sure.

Lori
Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 AM

My son was at Richland, he went twice a month. He received a print-out of how much money he had on his account. I always let him know what I put on there so he could check to make sure there were no mistakes.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Onto the next hurdle

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,064 Posts

It depends on the facility. There are variations as to how often and how much they can spend. It's typically either on a fixed day once a week, or twice a month...every other week. If they get to go twice a month, they usually are able to spend more per shopping trip. The most I've ever seen anyone able to shop in Ohio is $100. If you send a money order in with a letter, they stamp the back of the letter with the date and amount of the money order. If you use the online system or one of the Kiosks, they won't necessarily know unless they kite the cashier and ask for the total on their account if it's more than what they're allowed to shop for. They get a slip of paper before shopping day telling them how much they have available to spend, but it won't give them the total. So if they can shop $75 and they have $250 on their books, it'll only show $75 on their commissary slip. If that makes any sense, lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to FastCarGirl For This Useful Post:
Shydiamond1 (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Depending on the camp, you can go daily or 3 weeks a month. Some every week. I've heard some every other week, but not from somebody with firsthand experience.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Does anyone know how often women can shop at Dayton Correctional in OH, and if they get any notification on if money is put on their books?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM
I hold my ♥ n my arms

Thanked 1,535 Times in 880 Posts

My man goes every week.