Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:15 PM

Default Who to call about placement if no letter received???

Hi all...
I'm supposed to self-surrender on January 19th. I found my regester number at BOP.gov but can't get anybody to answer the phone there to tell me WHERE I'm being placed. Is there anyone else to call to find out?
Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,360 Times in 4,630 Posts

Try the U.S. Marshals Service in the location where you were convicted.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:32 AM
a Realist NOT an enabler!

I just heard from a poster that self surrendered on the 16th(patsfan).....Once he made the grueling trip to the facility....Upon receiving they inform him there has been a mistake..His co~defendant is there!!!!!
Soooo, he is in the SHU until they transfer him....
Just another BOP screw up that could have been avoided!

Poor planning and irresponsibility on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!

Last edited by Lesliezack; 12-30-2009 at 04:34 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lesliezack For This Useful Post:
PTO-97580 (12-31-2009)
Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 AM
FOREVER

some time ago I read somewhere on this PTO site what the first 3-digits mean to a inmate number for example my hubby start with 129**-040 and his bunkie starts with 133**-171 or is it the last 3 digits does any one know what they mean?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:56 AM

Omg my bf was told to report last wendsday to the local FBI office after pleading guilty to a charge weeks before but they didn't give any info he hadn't been sentenced yet though. He never returned home and I can't find out any info he isn't in the Bop system.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Default Your BF

He may be in witness protection.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Idk. Only because his crime wasn't of the sort that calls for witness protection. He was charged with hacking a website/Intentionally damaging a protected computer system.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Donation Award 

He must have had an attorney - check with him/her.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg_0720 View Post
some time ago I read somewhere on this PTO site what the first 3-digits mean to a inmate number for example my hubby start with 129**-040 and his bunkie starts with 133**-171 or is it the last 3 digits does any one know what they mean?
The last three represent the location of the court they were convicted. Example 083 is VA; 060- Ohio, Inmates from the same states have the same last 3 digits

Some one else might have better info
The Following User Says Thank You to NaNa7 For This Useful Post:
Evelinn (07-01-2010)
Old 04-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Angry Mother feel so down, whats next

Hello new to this please forgive me don't know what else to do, but wait and hope for the best, However my son just did 10 years for the state made parole and had a detainer on him for the feds, was just let out from the walls what ever that is on 23march, and the us. marshalls was there to pick him up so i put together he was only doing state time for 10 years, ok he get to conroe texas where the feds is holding him now, I guess he will be there until they find a bed for him, out the whole 10 years i always travel to texas to see him now that i'm retired from the military, haven't gotten the funds like i used to knowing i do have to find work, but i thought i had retired lol, but any way the way the job market is going i can barley pay my bills, but the point here is I live in va now, when he got in trouble we was station in texas, i'm am hoping and prayin that the feds will put him close to me for i can see him. i said to myself i need some where for i can drive to. but there is no way i can drive to california if they put him there .Please pray for me I jus hope they have a bed at a facility close to virginia, Yes the feds gave him 84 months to do . But I really like this forum it helps me to come down, listen to other folks story's , but i really hope for the best. But Only GOD KNOWS.

Last edited by dejuan; 04-01-2010 at 03:48 PM..
Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Donation Award 

I hope they place him close to you. At this point, it's just "wait and see." At least now he's on his final sentence. Wherever he lands, encourage him to participate in job and programs and work toward retaining his federal good time credits and a halfway house placement, which will shorten his time a bit. Keep us posted on where he lands! Z.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:03 AM

i agree with you!!! my family lived in MN and my brother was sent to Arkansas. Now he is in NJ. half of my family is now in Florida and there is place close by but we can't get my brother moved down here. I think the BOP tries to make it difficult. In my opinion, prisoners need family to keep them sane in that place. They need family to keep their faith that when they get out we are here for them. when the bop sends them so far away from loved ones i think they make it harder on the family and prisoner. its crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venicespirit View Post
The BOP had my husband close, by close i mean still in CA and only 2 hours away for the first 2 years. The following 4 years he has been 3000 miles away in Georgia, then 2000 in Indiana and now 3000 again in Florida. They have never made it easy for our family. I hate the BOP!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:22 PM

I live in Texas my son was first in Talladega AL they told me they were going to try and get him closer to home Well just found out this morning that he will be sent to Florence CO before it took me 12 hrs to go to see him now it will take me 16 1/2 this makes no sense who can I talk to compalain to my whole family wants to call or write someone this is wrong wrong wrong. What's up with the 500 miles it has to be a joke right.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Donation Award 

Sorry to hear that but it's not uncommon. You can write to complain but that's not going to change his designation. Basically, he will need, at each unit team meeting, to request a transfer closer to home. Usually, after 18 months of clear conduct, the inmate can be transferred. Or if his security level changes, he might be transferred closer. The decision is up to the BOP and often depends, initially, on the security level and where beds are available, among other factors. Z.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Donation Award 

I have been checking the BOP Inmate Locator regularly since me son was sentenced on March 26 of this year. About a week ago he finally showed up on it, but just his name and number. Now his release date has been added and location shows as "In Transit". Does this mean he will be moved soon? He is currently in the GEO Federal Detentsion center here in San Antonio.
Thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Donation Award 

Yes, that is likely what it means Be patient - it may take some time for him to get to his designated prison.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
farm54 (04-24-2010)
Old 05-06-2010, 09:40 PM
MyManTj

What are the chances of getting a transfer once you are designated? My fiance was sent to Pensacola-we live in Texas. They told him when he got there that it would be 18 months before he could move. He has heard different stories since then so he asked me to see what I could find out.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Donation Award 

A minimum of 18 months of good behavior is pretty much the BOP's standard practice before approving a transfer. That doesn't mean a transfer will be approved when the 18 months is up. But after being there a year, he should begin asking for the transfer at each unit team meeting.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:39 PM

he was told tuesday he was getting transferred on thursday and they sent his stuff on wednesday...today..thursday..they told him he wasnt going yet..maybe next week..they sent his stuff so now he has nothing.why tell him a certain day and have him get ready?we r all in cali,he is going to indiana.i dont think they will send his stuff back or send him closer.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Your Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejuan View Post
Hello new to this please forgive me don't know what else to do, but wait and hope for the best, However my son just did 10 years for the state made parole and had a detainer on him for the feds, was just let out from the walls what ever that is on 23march, and the us. marshalls was there to pick him up so i put together he was only doing state time for 10 years, ok he get to conroe texas where the feds is holding him now, I guess he will be there until they find a bed for him, out the whole 10 years i always travel to texas to see him now that i'm retired from the military, haven't gotten the funds like i used to knowing i do have to find work, but i thought i had retired lol, but any way the way the job market is going i can barley pay my bills, but the point here is I live in va now, when he got in trouble we was station in texas, i'm am hoping and prayin that the feds will put him close to me for i can see him. i said to myself i need some where for i can drive to. but there is no way i can drive to california if they put him there .Please pray for me I jus hope they have a bed at a facility close to virginia, Yes the feds gave him 84 months to do . But I really like this forum it helps me to come down, listen to other folks story's , but i really hope for the best. But Only GOD KNOWS.
Dejuan, have you heard from your son. I hope he will be placed closer to you. Hang in there.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Donation Award 

Does anyone have an outline of what the transfer process is like for the inmate?

If they're being moved on a bus, for example, and the trip is a long one, do they get food or anywhere to sleep? Or does the bus just keep driving non-stop until they reach the destination? How do prisoners gets moved for longer distances? By airplane?

My husband won't be moved for a while yet (he's still awaiting sentencing) but when I read about the long waits for transfers, I wonder what it's like for the inmates.

You're my HERO!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Arrow Transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieEmery View Post
Does anyone have an outline of what the transfer process is like for the inmate?

If they're being moved on a bus, for example, and the trip is a long one, do they get food or anywhere to sleep? Or does the bus just keep driving non-stop until they reach the destination? How do prisoners gets moved for longer distances? By airplane?

My husband won't be moved for a while yet (he's still awaiting sentencing) but when I read about the long waits for transfers, I wonder what it's like for the inmates.

When I was in I was moved by both bus and Con-Air. They always fed us, usually a bag lunch of some sort. Many times it depends upon the distance as to whether there is a stop along the way.

I was in Butner FPC in NC and had to be resentenced back in PA so I was flown. When I transferred camps in NC though, it was by bus. I hope that this helps. Good Luck!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Donation Award 

My husband went by van and they gave them a sack lunch. I talked to a friend, who flew by Con-Air and he said they got a baloney sandwich and kool-aid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
Fresh Start7 (07-05-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 AM

Default Designation process

I am amazed at all I read on this site. With all the prisons the feds have they manage to put my son on the other side of the country. This is after a decrease in security status. At times I just want to scream knowing my tax dollars pay for this! If everyone only knew what a waste mandatory sentences are to our country. I just get so angry and depressed at the same time. 14 more years to go, and quite honestly he could enter society with no problem now. They say they want families together. Tell me another lie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moonbeamsmom For This Useful Post:
sage26 (09-24-2010)
Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 PM

What the longest time after someone has got sentenced for them to be designated. Cuz my husband got sentenced in march n now he is in va so that's a 4 1/2 hour drive just to go c him and no one can tell me what region he is going to or what's the security level prison he is going to what's the longest your luved one had to wait to go to his jail. Thanks in advanced.

Closed Thread