Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 PM

Thanked 5,154 Times in 2,376 Posts

When someone is designated for security level, and the judge wrote an order for a specific facility AND there are huge medical concerns, how is this handled? Does the need for medical override the security? I am certain that he is either low or minimum, non-violent, white collar.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Donation Award 

I know it is tough my son sentenced to 10 yrs 1st time ever in toruble never far from homeespecuially at holiday time has started out in tenn and has moved to south tennn atlanta viginia and is now told somewher in penn not sure if that is final or not have not heard anything since nov 20 by phone 2 lettters since then remeber they have to be in a place for a while to buy commisary to get stamps and get a pin number for phone. it is hard to wait but these guys are strong and while we do not know whatt they go thru god is watching out for them i pray for them all daily
Old 04-24-2009, 12:26 PM
LovinHimNoMatterWhat!!!

so does an inmate get a preference as to where he/she goes???
Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info-now I know why things are taking so long-red tape.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:32 PM

Default Another lovely designation

Acquaintance lives in Northern VA, all family is in Northern VA, judge recommended FCI Petersburg and he got designated to FCI Ft. Worth. 1,350 miles, only nearly 3 times the 500 mile "rule".
Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 PM

My fiance is currently in the process of transfer, now in Oklahoma city. He has been traveling since 10-12-09..he moved from Va, which was where he was for the past 15 months, to a transfer center in GA, to NY, and now in OK. He is on his way to FCI Morgantown...He says he has to go from Ok to PA to be drivin to WV...lol...WOW.... right? But thats how the government does it. One thing I can say is for the remainder of his sentence he will only be about 30 minutes away from us now, which is such a blessing!!!! Just gotta get through this whole transfer process....Our three babies need him!

By the grace of God he did get his requested prison, and it was highly recommended by his sentencing Judge and FCI Petersburg. I understand this may not happen often, but I am here to say it does happen. Maybe the statistics are very low, but it does happen.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 PM

My fiance was sentenced in Va with about 9 other ppl that were involved in the same crime, and it seemed to me that everyone that didnt snitch was placed hours upon hours away from their loved ones, But the ones that did were conviently placed close to home. There were two people the lived in the dc..Va area that were sent to FT Worth...It is insane that they do that.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 PM

i was wondering what the 500 mile rule is
Old 10-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,361 Times in 4,630 Posts

There is no 500 mile "rule." The BOP has stated that their "goal" is to place an inmate within 500 miles of their home - but there is no rule that they have to - and many other factors are taken into account in the determination of placement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
missing sis (10-20-2009), MOTHER OF HIM (11-25-2009), SCCameron (09-01-2010)
Old 10-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,440 Times in 801 Posts

Zelda is correct and I think (Z correct me if I'm wrong) that the '500 mile goal' is one of the last factors taken into consideration if there's no judicial recommendation. Even if there is a recommendation would it be correct to assume they look at population reports, pub safety factors, management variables all before they try and find a 'convenient' location for an offender? Then if the sentry score = requested/recommended location with available space the offender may be lucky enough to end up there? If not then they're going wherever there's space that matches their security designation? Zelda these are all questions and any answers you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Country Gal

My guy wanted a transfer to Maine where i am, where they sending him? Illinois. Only 80 miles from where he was in Indiana.
go figure.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,440 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz8 View Post
My guy wanted a transfer to Maine where i am, where they sending him? Illinois. Only 80 miles from where he was in Indiana.
go figure.
yyz8-

i don't think there are any federal prisons in the state of maine. i would think upstate new york or devens in massachussetts would be the closest. there are none that i know of in vermont, rhode island, or new hampshire either.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 PM

i was just wondering why they move people if they do it for a reason or not? ive been hearing poeple talk about it alot. my sister in law is about 3 hours away from me and even closer to her family and i hope they dont move her. we got luckly
Old 10-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Donation Award 

Aba - yes, you're correct in your post about the other factors. Those would also include if they don't want co-defendants placed together - or cooperating witnesses, etc.

yyz8: You said your guy was from Indiana. If he was convicted in Indiana and/or has listed his release address as Indiana, changes are slim that they would move him to the northeast even upon his request. If he's thinking he wants to eventually be released to your residence, he needs to communicate that to his counselor and get his release address changed - then a "nearer release" transfer might be able to be authorized eventually.

Missing Sis: The why's and wherefore's of moving inmates is often a BOP mystery. Inmates get moved for a variety of reasons and it used to be that some inmates were just moved if they'd been in one place a long time and appeared to be becoming too entrenched - but I think that happens less now due to financial reasons. Inmates are moved due to medical needs - transfers closer to their release location - if they get in trouble at the prison - if their security level goes up or down (those are just some reasons.) Z.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintml2u View Post
also consider...while the first placement may be within a fair range, if a prisoner gets in trouble the bop usually ships them out of range if the incident is serious enough or frequently happens.
i havent been there yet and im going 675 miles from home
Old 11-10-2009, 01:34 PM

Default Another awful designation

Right now my husband, me, and our three young children live in Northern VA. His family is in NY, mine is in FL. The judge recommended a facility in NJ. He got designated to Bastrop TX, over 1,500 miles from home. Now there's nearly no chance the kids will get to see their father during his 60 month sentence, unless we successfully get him transferred at some point.

Has anyone tried to fight their placement b the BOP? Have any luck? Use a law firm or anything else to do it?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Donation Award 

He should request a transfer at every unit team meeting. Often, they will require 18 months served, with no disciplinary violations, before considering transfer. As he approaches the 18 months, you can go to your Congressman's local office and see if one of the aides there will advocate with the BOP for the transfer - that sometimes helps - but usually it's just a "keep requesting" situation. The BOP has the final say - it won't help to file anything in Court that I know of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
ptalkaccess (11-11-2009)
Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 PM

Thanks. Does anyone have any experience with Alan Ellis out of CA? He/His firm claim to do work (and it costs a lot) in getting people moved once in and in some cases designation changed before initial reporting.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 PM

Default BOP and deportation after served time

Mi boyfriend got sentenced and he went to CCA Lavenworth Kansas for classification does any body knows where BOP send inmigrants for deportations? I hear close to the borders in Texas, is that true? does any body have more information?
Thank you I am new here and I do not know how this site work.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 AM

I was sentenced on October 19th to 33 months Federal Time with a judicial recommendation for RDAP. I have a self surrender date of January 8th, 2010 however my pre-trial supervision guy told me today that he's never seen a self surrender with an actual date, that the BOP will send me a letter with the facility and the date. Anyone know the deal? Does this mean that Jan 8 is the earliest and I will just have to wait for the BOP date?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Donation Award 

No they don't get to pick where they go my son was sent 3,000 miles away
Old 11-25-2009, 01:52 PM

My son is in Manchester, Kentucky, and we live in Missouri. He is 7 hours away. There are closer camps to our home, but he was not sent to those. I also believe it's a matter of wherever they have open beds, that's where they go. He seems to be in a good place though, and that's really what matters. We stay close by phone calls and emails, and we try to visit at lease once a month.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Donation Award 

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Do you think this means our loved ones won't be sent close by anymore? Since a computer is doing the BOP's work? I think my son is ok where he is since he has 3 months 2 weeks before hwh time.
I think and pray for you daily Zelda...and you have been so great and such an asset to PTO. I appreciate your input on everything. I'm just sorry that you have had to go so long with your husband in. You are an inspiration...you have kept your love alive!!!!
God bless you always!
I will have to go alone with that Zelda is such a blessing ! she has been so much help to so many
Thanks Zelda for all you do...

Last edited by MOTHER OF HIM; 11-26-2009 at 09:16 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to MOTHER OF HIM For This Useful Post:
Zelda50 (12-28-2009)
Old 12-08-2009, 10:18 PM

Okay my son is trying to get transferred closer to home and he has been told that the computer picks where a prisoner goes and it is 500 mile radius in a straight line. So the straight line from our house to him shows around 350 miles but MapQuest and other mapping programs show it is 535 miles. I still haven't figured out how to drive that straight line route He is trying to get closer to home so that his elderly grandparents can visit him as it is hard for them to make the ride. He has been in almost 3 years and we get to visit him around 2 times a year and are the only ones who have been able to visit.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 PM

My husband self surrendered about 1 hour ago to CI California City. Our home is Massachusetts. We never received a letter with info on facility or time he was to report. He finally just called and they told him last week where. We also read about the 500 mile radius and were completely shocked that he was placed so far away. We have 2 teenage son and I was under the assumption that he would at least be on the east coast.
This is so overwhelming! I'm trying hard to be strong but I can't imagine being so far away from each other for 30 months
Also, I guess this is a private facility? He was suppose to do his time in a camp and from what we have read it seems not to be. Anyone with any info on this facility please let me know. Don't have any idea when I'll hear from him.
Closed Thread