Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 PM

my fiancee is bout to be transferred soon and he doesnt know where. i was wondering if there was someone i could talk to at the feds to see where he is going? i just hope he is coming closer to home. right now we are 9 hrs. away one way. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2011, 06:58 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,200 Times in 2,543 Posts

I think you just need to keep a watch on the website where you can watch his transfer process. At the very least, you could contact the attorney to see if he/she knows anything.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 AM

My son is in FCI Sheridan, and has been in holding for a month now. After reading AT&T the threads, I am fortunate that he is only 6 hours away. I figured he would end up with about 11 points, but they just informed him he's going to the medium security and not the camp. When I called the place they said they had no say, and the people in Texas decide. I wish I knew someone I could ask how they scored him. I thought with self surrender they took off 3 points. As a first time offense he should be in the camp. Every week ge waits to see if he will be transferred, and isn't. At least he's safe where he is, and I can email and talk to him.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,360 Times in 4,630 Posts

Sometimes it takes awhile. If you want a positive on this - my husband is in the FCI and, from what everybody says, that's better in a lot of ways than the camp. More programs, jobs, etc. Double cells instead of a dorm. The FCI is mellow, as is the camp. Visiting has a bit more rigamorole to get in than the camp but pretty relaxed once inside. When he does go there, be aware that (last I heard) all first-time visitors go through the ion scan.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:43 AM

My husband got designated to a Medium Security Prison Federal Prison because his surrender date was approaching and they rushed to place him (they admittedly sat on his designation and then realized they needed to get him placed).

He was recommended to a Federal Prison Camp not a Medium Security Prison facility. I know about the points system, but he has never done anything violent or had any other charges against him, it was a white collar crime. What are the chances of him getting a different placement? His attorney extended his surrender time for another month. I can't imagine him in a Medium Security institution. It's bad enough that this is happening and now I'm scared to death that he will be with criminals who are violent and locked in a cell instead of a dorm. Please any answers to help would be most appreciated!

Last edited by gracie1234; 04-10-2011 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: more information
Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 AM

Just wanted to clarify from my last post. He is self surrendering so there is not holding place or waiting around. The courts approved the extension of the self surrender date. Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of such a misplacement based on security level and what are the chances of getting them changed. Thanks so much!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM

Just got designated to Morgantown. SS May 5. From what I hear, sounds like it will be more like a vacation than a prison sentence.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:11 PM

Hi, I am new to the federal system and do not have much insight regarding the process. After reading through several of the threads, I am most interested about the point system and what to expect in general. I was told that I cannot visit him because we are not married IF he is a non-desginated detainee; a designated detainee can have visits from those who are not immediate family. When does he find out if he is designated or non? He has not been sentenced and won't be for a while. He was just transferred to a federal jail and is in processing. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Loyalty999; 04-16-2011 at 06:32 PM..
Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Donation Award 

You will have to wait until he is sentenced and then wait some more until he's designated and usually, by then, he'll be on his way to wherever he's going to initially serve his time. You'll have to submit a visiting application at that point and wait again until you're approved. After sentencing, it can take weeks or even months for him to get to where he's going. So you likely just need to chill for awhile and let things unfold.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
Loyalty999 (04-17-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 02:19 AM

Thanks for your reply, Zelda- although it confirmed what I was hoping not to learn
So, basically he won't be designated until after he is sentenced? He said that he's heard if he denies all social visits for 6 months, then I can go visit (not often, though); is there any validity to this?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:48 PM

Default maximizing chances of getting a particular designation

Is there any way to maximize the chances of getting a judge to recommend a particular federal prison? Is it true you can employ "experts" who are able to increase the chances of getting posted to a particular prison?

My loved one is a Sex Offendor and will be sentenced to around 20 yrs. I want him to end up somewhere where he will be safe, somewhere with a large SO population and we dont know if it is best to specify a particular prison like Devens or suggest a region instead to increase the chances.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,250 Posts

It isn't difficult to get a judge to recommend a designation. The problem is the BOP only grants these requests about 50 -60% of the time.

There are several good attorneys who I would consider experts at getting designations. But even they don't always succeed. Also, I think that SO designations go to very few faciliies
Old 05-12-2011, 12:31 AM

Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
You are not alone....you have us, your PTO family. Is your brother at the camp, medium or what? I know about your loved one being threatened and the fights in a facility. My son was sent to the SHU because of someone beating him up and that was at a camp, where this is rare. It didn't take long for them to see the "light" and they shipped the other one out. I do think they care, they just don't know who to believe. I truly hope he gets to move, but calling them too much I'm afraid will do more harm. Did he do a "cop-out" to his counselor, unit mgr, case mgr? This he needs to do and have a meeting with one of them soon.
JMO...& GOD BLESS
I was wondering if anyone has any information on medium securty,federal facilities. my boyfriend is in the shu in a high security. he is having problems with his safety and waiting to get sent to a medium. what is the difference between high and medium. is a medium safer? i am so new to this website and looking for any kind of information regarding a medium. thank you,
Old 05-12-2011, 02:10 PM
LYIDFIW

A medium is a lower level security prison. It is supposed to be more relaxed and offers work there. A high security is very tight controlled, limited time out, more violent offenders. The medium is more than likely safer than the high.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Donation Award 

It may be safer; however, the safety issues may follow him...
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
MiniMoose (06-11-2011)
Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 AM

Hi there,
My boyfriend was in a county jail when he was sentenced on May 21, 2012. After federal sentencing (36 months) he was taken back to the county jail. A few days later he was moved to ANOTHER county jail a few hours away. He was told that he would be at this county jail for 3-4 weeks until he was classified, and then they would transfer him from there to a prison.

It was my understanding that classification takes place at a separate facility, not a county jail. Does anyone have information on why my boyfriend would be classified at a county jail as opposed to a classification center??

I love you baby, and I'd do anything under the sun for you. Even this.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 AM
LYIDFIW

He probably is at a county.jail until designation and then he will more than likely go to Oklahoma for a week or so before going to his real destination. The feds use county jails that they contract out because they are full. My guy went to several county jails. One was 6 hours away. Then he went to the OKlahoma transfer center and then 44(drive) hours away. It is not un common. Just try and visit as much as you can!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 AM

That makes sense, only why would they transfer him from one county jail to another only two hours away? Why not just leave him at the first jail? And why tell him he would be going straight from there to the prison?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Donation Award 

He might be going straight from there - not everyone goes through the Oklahoma transfer center. The designation decision is made at a BOP office in Texas - not where the inmate is located. As for why he went to a different county jail - it could be that they have a different contract with the feds - or it's a "gathering point" where the BOP houses inmates post-sentencing until they have enough of them there to put them all in a van and take them to whatever prison they're going to. Which is less costly to the feds than transporting inmates one at a time. As you begin this journey through the BOP, you're going to find a lot of things that "don't make sense" but hang around here and ask your questions and some things will be clarified. And then there are some things which remain muddy to all of us forever because they truly never make sense!!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM
LYIDFIW

The designation center is in Texas like Zelda said. And she is right not all go to Oklahoma but he likely will. Just be patient ans be grateful that he is only a few hours away ( I know it is hard to be grateful for anything prison related). Any more questions and we will all help if we can. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:17 PM

I would be grateful except he isn't a "few hours away" he's 24 hours away in Florida (I'm in New York)... Thanks BOP!!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:32 PM
LYIDFIW

Dude I totally understand. My guy is that far away too. Pray that with his short sentencd, he will serve it closer to home.
Closed Thread