Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in South Carolina that do not fit into any other South Carolina subforum. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind in addition to prison.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Has anyone added their spouse to their insurance (while spouse is incarcerated)?

My daughter, who is in college, will probably be working very soon. Right now she has insurance just on herself that I pay for. Once she gets company benefits, she was thinking that she would add him then rather than later when he gets home. That way if he ever needed any expensive medical procedures while he was there, he would be more apt to get them with the least amount of hassle. Plus - she wouldn't have to "explain" his appearance later on when he came home and she wanted to add him.

He is in good health now, but his family was actually told, "your son is going to die" when he was 17. He was in a coma for a few weeks, but as medical providers pointed out, he made nothing short of a miracolous (sp?) recovery. He firmly believes that God was in limbo (while he was in the coma) about what to do with him (live or die), and that once he made the decision, that is when my son-in-law woke up. Just woke up and could speak. I mean his arms had even been drawn up to his body like a vegetable's.

He believes that God has a plan for him and it is up to him to find it. And that prison could (and likely is) part of that plan.

So, with all that being said (and sorry if I rambled), we were thinking that putting him on her future job provided insurance would be a good thing. My only concern was wondering if somehow the insurance company would come back with a "no, he's in prison - we can't insure him" type response. Any experiences?
Old 07-21-2007, 03:00 PM
inmate Mama

I've never heard of anyone having an inmate covered, but I would think the insur. co. would consider "prison", an"accident, waiting to happen", and refuse to qualify him... I don't know? But I would call my Dr. and ask if they've ever treated anyone who was an inmate, and "insured"... Just a thought. Good luck with it! Seems like you should be able to get coverage, since now-a-day, you can even get coverage on your cat or dog! Crazy priorities!
Old 07-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Closed

I've asked many insurance companies if I can insure my fiance, but they said nobody will cover an inmate.If you have insurance once he is out and then he goes back in, the insurance is void too.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 AM

You cannot get any type of insurance on someone who is incarcerated. I believe the Underwriting restrictions prevent coverage until the person has been free for 5 years.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:29 PM

My husband and I got married at Northside and while still incarcerated I took out health insurance on him.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:35 PM

What about life insurance? Does anyone know of a company? We got married at Walden 3 months ago and he's very concerned about if something happens to him.

Roxie
Old 07-25-2007, 04:56 PM

InJailtoo, was it through an employer? Has it been awhile back? In other words, if there was a problem, would enough time have passed for the problem to have presented itself? Also, did you have to disclose that he was incarcerated?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
I Scam Inmate Families

I had coverage on my girlfriend prior to her incarceration, and have managed to keep it. There haven't been any questions asked, they just take the premiums. Plus, she has used the coverage since she has been incarcerated. I also have life insurance on her.
It could be that because this was "prior to" her incarceration that we haven't had a problem.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
I Scam Inmate Families

Oops, darn button stuck!

Last edited by nghtwtch; 07-25-2007 at 05:05 PM..
Old 08-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Trusting God 4 all things

this is a great question,because there was a medication that my husband needed to have but the medication was "too expensive" according to them, and i have great health insurance through my employer....so anyone else with any feedback please post!!!