Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

View Poll Results: How long has your loved one been in the SHU? If they've changed, how?
1 day - 3 months 60 32.97%
3 months - 12 months 44 24.18%
12 months - 2 years 19 10.44%
2 years + 54 29.67%
Theyre moodier or more argumentative than normal. 29 15.93%
Theyre pretty much the same. 31 17.03%
Theyre happier... wanting the rest! 11 6.04%
Other... Please give details 19 10.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydreemer View Post
thanks everyone! i didnt know what it meant.
security housing unit
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2017, 06:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Iam sorry what is SHU??? what does it mean?
security housing unit
Old 10-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Iam sorry what is SHU??? what does it mean?
security housing unit or special housing unit
Old 07-03-2018, 09:25 PM

My bf just went to shu. Two weeks ago. God I hope after reading these heís not there too long. His dad thinks maybe 30 days. I havent heard from him at all. And we always talk every day. This has been a long two weeks already. If they are just I. For a short time. I take it they donít get any email time or calls. I am surprised I have t got a letter at least. Itís drivinf me nuts not knowing. Donít even know why. Heís always been good at telling me if teoulbe was brewing But this was out of the blue. And I was supposed to visit this coming weekend
Old 07-04-2018, 04:08 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgpowell View Post
My bf just went to shu. Two weeks ago. God I hope after reading these heís not there too long. His dad thinks maybe 30 days. I havent heard from him at all. And we always talk every day. This has been a long two weeks already. If they are just I. For a short time. I take it they donít get any email time or calls. I am surprised I have t got a letter at least. Itís drivinf me nuts not knowing. Donít even know why. Heís always been good at telling me if teoulbe was brewing But this was out of the blue. And I was supposed to visit this coming weekend
Hang in there! My LO is in a different state and I am not familiar with yours, but generally speaking; sometimes they can be held in SHU for their own protection and not necessarily for something they did. Writing & receiving letters should be fine, but like you say no calls and no e-mails usually. Try not to worry too much and concentrate on writing a lot - that will keep you in touch and hopefully also will help you both to keep your spirits up
Old 07-04-2018, 05:44 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,133 Times in 11,755 Posts

He may not have stamps or stationary to write back. Many SHUs don't allow personal property, and have very limited commissary access.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:07 PM

Can he receive pictures while in the shu? I wrote one letter. Gonna wrote more just wanted to j kw this. When I send another. Thanks for all the help
The Following User Says Thank You to Jgpowell For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-06-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 07:46 PM

Question can I send him stamped evenlopes so he can write me? I donít know if he has any we always emailed and called rarely letters. And what a bout pics. Can I send him so
E of those too. I donít want To send that stuff and they just trash it. Thanks for everyoneís help. This part is all new to me. Heís been I. Trouble before but they just sent him
Back to medium. he was always able to give me a heads up in things.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:49 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,133 Times in 11,755 Posts

It will depend on the rules for that prison's SHU. Many prisons will return blocked letters to the sender, but even that depends on the prison.

My advice, ask him your questions in one letter, and send a couple pictures in another one.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:34 PM

I’m feeling really depressed. Trying to stay busy. It’s be better if I was around people but I love in the boonies cause I don’t care for people. But this really sucks. I’ve weotten several letters trying to think maybe he don’t have my address handy. Not sure If he’s memorized it or not. I just need to hear something soon from him before I go nuts. Me and an idle mind is not a good thing. I get all kinds of crazy thoughts in the what if And happened. And it’s always negative. What really sucks is I should of been there with him this weekend. That was our plan. Had room booked and everything we’d been looking forward to this trip. I know it was just three months ago I saw him. Last time it took me a year to get to go again. I miss him so much. It took time to get used to not talking aalll the time when he was at camp. Cell phone got him in trouble there. But it sure was nice. Being able to text all night I warned him over and over again to not get caught. He just got to lax. I knew he was by the way he’d be talking like he was just out for a walk Some men just don’t listen. Even others kept warning Jim. Well that cost him camp. Got sent back to med for 1 year. And transfers in December to the low He had six months restrictions too no visitors and we chose emails over phone not sure but I think I’d like phone if he has restricting a again . But email we can send lots. Phine is hard and that fifteen minutes goes way to fast. I know I’m rambling. It just helps to talk. Even if no one actually listens. Thanks for all the help and pep talks. I’m sure I’ll be posting a lot till I find something. Out. But I know after this his ass better make sure I am on the list to be blemto find stuff out when I cllmup there. He was supposed to have already done that. But who knows. Maybe they just don’t want to look it up and see if I have been.
fbopnomore (07-07-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,543 Posts

Hang in there, Jgpowell. I know it's just a silly clichť but...This too shall pass. You will get mail from him eventually and he'll be out of the SHU eventually, and hopefully he learned his lesson about the phone and things will smooth out.

Maybe you could go out for walks, read a book or two, write in a journal, put on some good music and dance by yourself It may sound nuts but I spend quite a lot of time on my own too, and I have these little pick-me-ups if I start feeling blue...ya never know what helps until you try it... go on...
Old 07-08-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarianna View Post
Hang in there, Jgpowell. I know it's just a silly clichť but...This too shall pass. You will get mail from him eventually and he'll be out of the SHU eventually, and hopefully he learned his lesson about the phone and things will smooth out.

Maybe you could go out for walks, read a book or two, write in a journal, put on some good music and dance by yourself It may sound nuts but I spend quite a lot of time on my own too, and I have these little pick-me-ups if I start feeling blue...ya never know what helps until you try it... go on...
Thank you for the support. I try. And keep going. I did go to the lake today. It helped. Water always calms me. Iím hoping one more week. Is all but I have no clue what he got in trouble for. So. Hopefully Iíll get a letter soon. I keep writing at least heíll know Iím still here. Not happy with him at the minute but but not going anywhere. He feels is if we didnít talk all the time heíd loose me. He must really think Iím shallow. Lol. I keep telling him we need to gudget. Neither one is rich. And I will only send a little to help with messagi
G. Heís not good at that though. Lol. He will learn. Sure do love him though.
Sarianna (07-09-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 PM

I donít know what NKSPis. But I know mine has been in Pollock and now Seagoville we visit three days in Seagoville all day long. And Seagoville Saturday and Sunday all
Day Seagoville is so much better than polluck. We can actually sit side by side kiss and touch cuddle in Pollock. They were strict.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:24 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,036 Times in 6,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgpowell View Post
I donít know what NKSPis. But I know mine has been in Pollock and now Seagoville we visit three days in Seagoville all day long. And Seagoville Saturday and Sunday all
Day Seagoville is so much better than polluck. We can actually sit side by side kiss and touch cuddle in Pollock. They were strict.
NKSP is a state facility in California that houses newly reception and classified inmates.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-31-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:47 PM
Coopers disciple

Good friend went in and out of the SHU for years, it made his depression and anxiety worse and gave him paranoia.