Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Texas prison & criminal justice system.

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Account Closed

Default Bill would test pupil body mass index

Bill would test pupil body mass index

08:42 PM CST on Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Associated Press

AUSTIN – A Texas legislator filed a bill Tuesday that would require school districts to measure the body mass index of students and include the information in regular report cards.

"We should be just as concerned with students' physical health and performance as we are with their academic performance," said Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio.

When the measurement, which calculates body fat based on height and weight, indicates a student is overweight, the school would provide parents with information about links between increased body fat and health problems, she said.

Problems could be Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

More than a third of school-age children in Texas are overweight or obese, according to the Texas Department of Agriculture.

A similar law implemented in Arkansas during the 2003-04 school year required all public schools to weigh and measure students and report findings to parents. About 38 percent of the 440,000 students evaluated were classified as overweight or at risk for becoming overweight, according to the Arkansas Center for Health Improvement.

Most parents don't need to be told their child is overweight, said Eric Allen, a spokesman for the Association for Texas Professional Educators.

"I know they're trying to tie academic success to a healthy body and healthy mind, but it doesn't have a place on a report card," he said.

Ms. Van de Putte's bill does not specify how the program would be funded, and the senator said the bill would probably change as it goes through the legislative process.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Account Closed

Thank God I have the State of Texas to monitor my child's health. Is this where the money for CHIP is going to go?
Old 01-22-2005, 07:59 PM

OK, I heard this but had to really wonder if this was real. We are now trying to label CHILDREN offically fat. How mean. Come on, the parents and children are aware that they have a weight problem but now to let them know, on your report card you not only have to worry about your grade but your weight????? These children have it hard enough in school and for some their report cards are one of the few things that they can feel pride in with their grades, but if this happens, they won't be able to feel pride any longer. You're a great student but your fat. Ok, so what next. Will the state pick up counseling bills, health club memberships, weigh loss progrems, physician and grocery bills? No of course not, they are here to identify the problem, not to be a part of the solution. They should be more concerned about making sure children have health insurance and a good education. Personally I think this will only increase stress and intolerance.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Missing_My_Friends

I don't agree with this at all, I think it's a bunch of BS! What I guess your child comes home and says" Look Mom I'm not only failing but I'm Fat" give me a break!!

Our kids are having a hard enough time the way it is, what are they thinking!

Why obesity, what about these children who suffer with bulemia, anorexia, do they give a shit about them?

I just don't agree, I think it's ridiculous.

Mel
Old 01-22-2005, 10:09 PM

This has to be the craziets thing ever, I think I heard on the radio the other morning while they were discussing this very thing one guy said before the next election why don't we require them to take a body mass index and if they are considered obese the do not get re-elected and they loos their job!

Old 01-22-2005, 10:17 PM
A new beginning

They ought to be ashamed to do this considering what they serve at lunch time!! My son's elementary is not so bad, but my daughter's middle school has a snack bar that offers fried burritos, pizza, and egg rolls, cheeseburgers and icecream DAILY.. They also have vending machines loaded with chips, candy and cokes... They let them eat all this crap and then they want to tell their parents that they are fat??? THE NERVE!!!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Old 01-22-2005, 11:46 PM

To top it off, lets face it school lunch is not as cheap as it used to be when I was in school. My kids do not like to pack their lunch every day so I spend 65.00 every two weeks on their lunch. I know they regulate the day car menu's do they not do this for the schools as well??

Old 01-23-2005, 11:06 AM
Account Closed

This is the same state that said it's ok to have PizzaHut and Taco Bueno in the High School food court. Southwest HS in Fort Worth has a full blown mall style food court where you can get all the junk food you want. So munch out kiddies and when you get your report card don't think of the State as Big Brother, think of them as being concerned for your health. ROFLMAO
Old 01-23-2005, 11:54 AM

My 8 yr old.'s lunch menu at school is pizza ,bbq, hamburgers, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, nachos, etc. This month alone they have pizza, pizza sticks 7 times! Yes, there is a grilled chicken sandwich and chef salad offered but those are the only healthy choices. Breakfast isn't much better. So to be a part of the solution they need to revamp their menus. Our school no longer has a coke machine but they can get ice cream for treats at lunch. Solved one problem but left in a bunch of others. Most of what they serve in school we consider fast food or junk food. No wonder our children may be over-weight.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Advocate

This is yet another example of "Big Brother" sticking their noses into the realm of the family. One day, if the powers-that-be have their way, they will control every little thing that we do. We must not go along like sheep ... we must tell them what we expect and not the other way around! Yes...there is a problem with obesity in America, but I don't believe that this bill is the answer to the problem. As for labeling kids as being fat...that is horrible! I am a big beautiful woman and I was a chubby kid. I heard all the cruelty from kids and adults alike. Although many of these folks are well meaning...I think that they are shortsighted. Let's compound the low self esteem that most heavy people feel by officially labeling them fat and then some how grading them...Re: the report card. "Oh my...my child is failing 'thinness'!" Golly...I foresee lots more counseling clients for me! Also, this brilliant idea fails to take into account why the child is overweight. I mean, does he or she just stuff their face, are they receiving nutritionally balanced and tasty food at home and at school, or perhaps they have a medical problem that has weight gain as a symptom! Oh please...let me climb off of my soap box now! Sorry...kind of went away there for awhile! But this idiocy just sets me off and triggers my ranting and raving! It's a lifelong issue for me...Thanks for listening and not pulling out the .357 and blasting me full of holes!

Closed Thread