Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Georgia.

Old 11-04-2003, 11:05 AM

Lightbulb Information on Scott, Coastal, & Baldwin State Prison

Hello POT
I need help!! I need any information about Scott, Coastal, & Baldwin State Prison. My brother, cousin, and man are at these Prison. I need to know about the visitation, mailing, and how to get there. How long is visitation, how often can you visit a inmate. Also what do i have to have when i go to visit.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:04 PM
Waitin' for my soulmate!

I can help you with Coastal. What exactly do you need to know about it? A good friend of mine on PTO , I'll ask her about the visitation process, but I can help you with mailing and directions... both of our guys were there not too long ago.
A Thousand words could never express the amount of love and type of feelings I have for you, the ocean could never hold the tears I've cried, cuz I need you, the sky could never hold all the stars that I've wished upon wishing you were here with me or I was there with you. You are my heartbeat, my soul mate, my life. BABY, I LOVE YOU!
Old 11-08-2003, 05:03 PM
aka klyn and I hate Ga

At Coastal you have to fill out a paper to do a back ground check on you ,after you send that in wait a week and call and see if you have been cleared to visit.You can visit on saturday and sundays from 9am to 3pm,all you need to take is ID and money in zip lock bag to buy food and drinks with.Dress like you are a nun lol.no shorts,sandles ect,hope this helps you
Old 11-14-2003, 10:25 PM

Thank You Both mrskendrick2you & klyn for your input. How do is diagnostics work if a inmate have been tested before do they have to be tested every time they go back to prison. At Coastal can you visit a inmate every weekend or how do that work. Also can the inmate call home when they are there for diagnostic.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:50 PM
aka klyn and I hate Ga

NO*Pain,I dont know about the testing if he has been tested before, You can visit everyweek end from 9am to 3pm,He has to put you on his calling list so he can call you,hope this helps

Last edited by Kat; 11-15-2003 at 03:01 PM..
Old 12-30-2003, 03:42 PM

I am planning to visit Coastal State Prison for the first time this coming weekend. I live in Atlanta, Georgia and will be driving to Coastal in Port Wentworth. If anyone has any tips or information to pass on about the trip from Atlanta to Coastal, or any specific information about what my visit there will be like, please let me know. I am nervous about this trip and also about visiting my friend for the first time in a state prison. Thank you very much.

Ledia
Old 01-12-2004, 09:37 AM

I have a few questions on Scott State Prison myself, someone I know just got sent there. So, if you find out any information please let me know and I will do the same for you.
Thank you........Laura

Laura and John Always and Forever.......
Old 02-02-2004, 02:15 PM

I need help!! My fiance is located at Coastal State Prison. I am new to all of this. Is there a way I can find out when he will be released? The number for the Pardons and Parole board never gives me any info. He was transferred from Clayton County jail on 12/11/03 and going through diagnostics, but how can I find out when and if his release date will be?
Old 02-02-2004, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissmyTy
I need help!! My fiance is located at Coastal State Prison. I am new to all of this. Is there a way I can find out when he will be released? The number for the Pardons and Parole board never gives me any info. He was transferred from Clayton County jail on 12/11/03 and going through diagnostics, but how can I find out when and if his release date will be?
The only thing I can tell you to do is go onto the website for the department of corrections and look on the offender query. The website is www.dcor.state.ga.us . It should be able to give you some information. I have a number for the parole board that might be able to help also unless of course its the one you have. The # is: 404-656-5651. They'll tell you when he should be eligable for parole. If they say he isn't yet dont get worried. Sometimes they wait a little while before they give them a parole month. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I live right near coastal state prison, so if you have any questions on it you can ask also. Sorry if I wasn't any help.!! Let me know if you find the info. your looking for.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Info Coastal State Prison

My son in diagnositc at Coastal visitation Sat Sun 9-3pm. No cigs, money in plastic bag, can not give to inmate, but can spend at vending machines there, which are ridicuouly expensive. $2.00 for a Krystal burger to put in microwave.
Know your license tag info you will have to write it down. Got my map from yahoo maps and is easy to follow. Mail, you can only mail money orders, picutures, and nothing printed off of internet......but you can write it out!
wear a sweater, it is cold in that gym. They can get a christmas package with permission slip sent to you to put in box. This is for diagnostics, don't know about others. Debi
Quote:
Originally Posted by no*pain
Hello POt

I need help!! I need any information about Scott, Coastal, & Baldwin State Prison. My brother, cousin, and man are at these Prison. I need to know about the visitation, mailing, and how to get there. How long is visitation, how often can you visit a inmate. Also what do i have to have when i go to visit.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Coastal State Prison

I am getting same run around. My son still has not got discovery package or sentence papers. Found out the sentence review panel still has not received application for a review of his sentence that was imposed 6 months ago. If you find out any information, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsWifey
The only thing I can tell you to do is go onto the website for the department of corrections and look on the offender query. The website is www.dcor.state.ga.us . It should be able to give you some information. I have a number for the parole board that might be able to help also unless of course its the one you have. The # is: 404-656-5651. They'll tell you when he should be eligable for parole. If they say he isn't yet dont get worried. Sometimes they wait a little while before they give them a parole month. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I live right near coastal state prison, so if you have any questions on it you can ask also. Sorry if I wasn't any help.!! Let me know if you find the info. your looking for.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:08 PM
TARHEEL FOR LIFE...IN ATL

Post How much time will he get????

My honey just went to Coastal State Prison on Monday. He was sentenced back on June 18th to a 18-month prison sentence...he plead guilty to possession of a weapon by a convited felon. The original charge against him was aggravated assualt...but the DA could not prove it as it turned out it was actually self-defense cause the so called "victim" pulled a gun on my honey. I read something on the Pardons & Parole Board site that most people only serve one-third of their time....which would be December for him, he is supposed to get credit for time served (3 months) so I am praying and hoping that he might be home by Sept of Oct.....does anyone know if this will probably be the case.....he was in county jail from March 24 (date of initial arrest) until Monday, July 17...never got out on bond or anything.....Do yo think they will actually release him soon. We can't talk over the phone, home phone company has blocked my phone cause he ran up such a huge bill while in county and MCI will not let me set up a separate account cause the phone is in his name and we are not married....but I don't want to go through the expense of setting up phone service if he will be home in a few short months....this has already put such a financial burden on me as it is.....Any replies would be welcome.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:36 PM
waiting for him

The actual time for the crime of possession of a firearm by a felon carries an automatic 5 year sentence in the state of Georgia. If your honey recieved 18 months, then he will probably do most of that time, I am sorry to say.... You are correct that he should receive credit for his time that was served in county, which would put him at approximately Nov 07 release. Of course, in Georgia, nothing is written in stone, when it comes to the parole board!!! They do what they feel like doing and will always remind you that parole is a priviledge, not a guarantee
I am so sorry to hear that your phone priviledges are gone for now. If I were you I would do my best to pay what is owed, and try to get phone service thru MCI or Evercom( whichever company services his final destination within the DOC) reconnected once he is placed into the prison he is going to be staying at. I know you need to hear from him, as he will need to hear from you!!!! I can so relate to the financial burden, it is very hard and frustrating on all of us In the meantime, write him as much as you can, and do what you are able to...it is 'possible' that he will not be in for the full 18 months, but unless you have information from his attorney that says otherwise, I would be working on getting that phone back. ( 18 months is actually 1/3 of 60 months which is 5 years but if that is what sentence he received he is lucky!!! )
The rules of parole in Georgia state that an inmate's case is REVIEWED after serving approximately 1/3 of their sentence, NOT released. This is approximately when they should set a tentative parole month ( TPM )
Also included in the rules established by the parole board, is the statement that if a person has been convicted of three prior felonies they will not be eligible for parole and must serve the entire time.
One third of your honey's sentence will be in September 06 if he went into jail in March... you may want to prepare a parole packet to send in at that time. Information can be found on how to prepare a parole packet in the 'GA DOC What you Need to Know' subforum here.
I truly wish you the best of luck in this, and wish that I could have said a lot more positive things I know you were wanting to hear. Stay strong honey, we are here for you!!!!! We will help you through this journey in your life, that is why we are where we are!!!

Last edited by Eternal Hope; 07-21-2006 at 12:38 PM..
Old 07-21-2006, 12:47 PM

Well, he actually got 5 years.....18 months of incarceration with the remainder on probabtion.....and his lawyer asked, and the judge granted him, time served for the 3 months in county.....so do you think he will still be there for the entire 18 months.....1/3 of 18 months is 6 months (actual day), which will be December???
Old 07-21-2006, 02:04 PM
waiting for him

Honey he will probably be reviewed for a TPM after serving approx 1/3 of his 18 months. Going into jail in March, you count March to April, April to May, May to June, June to July, July to August, August to September, which is 6 mos...this is if given credit for jail time, which the judge already granted and ruled on per your post. Unfortunately he will probably serve most of his 18 months total... per Parole Board site Faq quote:
"What is parole?
Parole is the service of a portion of a sentence in the community and under the supervision of the Parole Board. Parole does not reduce the length of the sentence
When are inmates considered for parole?
Unless an inmate is serving on a life sentence, or for an offense that mandates no parole, the case is prepared for consideration under the Parole Decision Guidelines and a decision is usually made in eight to ten months after entering a state reception prison." http://www.pap.state.ga.us/faq's.htm
" Every offender has a parole eligibility date, typically at one-third of their sentence. However, it is highly unusual for an offender to be paroled at the earliest possible date." http://www.pap.state.ga.us/Parole%20Process.htm

I think you are confusing the eligibility date that will be set, with actual release time. Actual release time is not made at one third of sentence served... what is done at one third of the sentence time is setting an eligibility date, or TPM. I wish I had better news for you!!!!! Hugs!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:13 PM

hi, i'm new to this, so please bear with me. my boyfriend is at baldwin st prison and when filling out the forms with his counselor, he was told that i could not visit because we were not married. even if we were engaged. so i haven't seen him since he was transferred there in early june. i too have visited the doc website and read about parole and have also called the phone number which is connected to the parole board to advise of any possible parole month. so far, we don't have one either. we have been apart since oct. 1, 2005 and yes, the waiting and emotional roller coaster is wreaking havoc on my nerves. but hang in there, the best way i've found to deal with this is to apply myself to other, positive projects. just keeping busy helps so much and we do get to write and talk on the phone. good luck
Old 07-26-2006, 09:53 PM
waiting for him

Welcome Hannahmae, is your boyfriend in Baldwin for diagnostics? If so once he is transferred to wherever his designated prison 'home' will be, you will be able to visit him as his significant other, his fiance. Diagnostics lasts approximately 6-8 weeks, sometimes longer. Welcome to PTO and the Georgia Forums!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:22 PM

Default hellio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmack
My honey just went to Coastal State Prison on Monday. He was sentenced back on June 18th to a 18-month prison sentence...he plead guilty to possession of a weapon by a convited felon. The original charge against him was aggravated assualt...but the DA could not prove it as it turned out it was actually self-defense cause the so called "victim" pulled a gun on my honey. I read something on the Pardons & Parole Board site that most people only serve one-third of their time....which would be December for him, he is supposed to get credit for time served (3 months) so I am praying and hoping that he might be home by Sept of Oct.....does anyone know if this will probably be the case.....he was in county jail from March 24 (date of initial arrest) until Monday, July 17...never got out on bond or anything.....Do yo think they will actually release him soon. We can't talk over the phone, home phone company has blocked my phone cause he ran up such a huge bill while in county and MCI will not let me set up a separate account cause the phone is in his name and we are not married....but I don't want to go through the expense of setting up phone service if he will be home in a few short months....this has already put such a financial burden on me as it is.....Any replies would be welcome.
hi how are u im a friend of a person thwere and ill let you know that i heard this place was a crazy housde and do u know they can keep them as long as thyer like or that what my uncle says im also wonderiong about this place cause they have moved my uncle 5 to 6 times in the last 2 months.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:25 PM

Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankscousion
hi how are u im a friend of a person thwere and ill let you know that i heard this place was a crazy housde and do u know they can keep them as long as thyer like or that what my uncle says im also wonderiong about this place cause they have moved my uncle 5 to 6 times in the last 2 months.
My man is no longer there....while he was there they separated him from the general population and put him in a minmum security building....he has moved to 2 other places since then....he is currently in a county prison in Dawson, GA.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:32 AM

Scott State Prison's visitation rules are like most other prison-$20.00 in coins, Appropriate dress, know your car tag, photo ID and make sure you are on the viistation list. Visitation hours are 9-3, with count being taken between 11-1, so make sure you are there by 10:45am or wait and come at 1:00pm..PM me if you exact directions. Good luck with your loved ones.