Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,620 Times in 641 Posts
Default pay phones in TDCJ? maybe!

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Reports...80R&code=V8788

I am posting this in texas general prison talk forum because it seems to have a higher readership (is that a word?) than the legistlative forum.
This link shows the various bills that have been proposed for the 80th legislature. Hodge has introduced a bill that if passed would put pay phones in TDCJ effective immediately! 50% of the revenues would go to the victims crime fund. Well, you can read all about it at that link.

This would be a great addition to TDCJ! Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to talk to our loved one on the phone for more than 3 mins. every few months? My hubby's parents live in Iowa. Needless to say he hasn't seen or talked to them in quite a while. Please contact your rep. and tell them you support this bill! The bill is HB 43. Now is the time to make your voice heard, when they are getting ready to go to Austin and deal with these bills!

Last edited by karen; 12-18-2006 at 10:18 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Donation Award 

If no one replies to this post, will it just fade away? I see people are viewing it but no replies have been made. If people don't reply will the info be lost?

Old 12-18-2006, 01:44 PM
My baby is home!!!!

That would be nice if they do that, they should start selling calling cards also, that would be more money, I know I would send the money for my husband to call.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Loving Life Now!!

No, it won't be lost. It may slip down a bit in the list, but it won't go away completely.

Thanks for sharing the info. Hopefully they will do something like this. I get so skeptical when it comes to TDCJ doing ANYTHING for our loved ones, that I sincerely hope they pass this.

Nance
Old 12-18-2006, 02:31 PM

I'll be letting my rep know that I support this bill but I won't hold my breath. They won't pay our loved ones anything for working so we have to support them. We have to spend the money to visit but when it comes to phones, the legislature states they want to protect the families from huge phone bills. Sorry, they don't need to protect me from my husband.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:33 PM

No kidding, let us be the judge of whether we want to pay a big phone bill! It doesn't come out of their pockets!!!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Faithful to my soul mate

I second that I am for it let us be the judge of that. How do we voice our opinion I am new to the voice herd. I vote when the time comes but never about bills being passed.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Donation Award 

If every registered user would just send their Senators and Representatives an email, I think we could get this through. I will be doing that tonight.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Donation Award 

Here's what I did today. I typed up the info about the pending bill on a sheet of paper. It just told the info like is on that website. I made it to where it had four little blurbs on one page with dotted lines between each one. I printed off 10 copies of the page. And told him to pass tear the little info blurbs apart and pass them out to people to send home to their families. This bill will be voted on once the leg. reconvenes in Jan. If we can get a grass roots push on this, they just might pass it. but, we have got to call or write or email or reps and let them know that we think this is a win, win solution. It is a way for TDCJ to generate additional revenue and a way for us to be able to stay in touch with our loved ones. I know we get so discourage and think that we are just stuck out, but i think that if enough people state wide would positively respond at least or reps might seriously take a look at it. If it were to pass with a 2/3 vote it would become effective immediately. Squeaky wheels get the grease, how about us getting a little squeaky here! Oh one more thing, I posted in another forum about legistation that is being proposed to make it legal for counties to house inmates indefinantly in tents! Personally, i don't think that tents are the solution to over crowding! If you are going to call about the phones you might want to consider mentioning a dissenting voice against the tents.

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now!!

Old 12-18-2006, 04:35 PM

I just sent my State Rep. an email!!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Donation Award 

Here is a link that will help you locate and email your state rep.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/welcome.php

karen

Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 PM
We survived TDCJ!

House inmates in tents to ease over crowding? Goodness, why not release inmates that have honestly earned parole???? I really wonder about the thinking of some of those in authority. I can understand a repeat offender getting repeat set offs...they kind of ask for it. But when you have men and women that are honestly working every day to change and earn parole to hear someone come up with the idea of tents is insulting!!!
I am down with the phones. I have compassion for victims of crimes and they deserve some assistance since many lose alot at the hands of bad decisions. I also understand the not paying inmates for working...prison is for punishment. Maybe they could also earn the ability to be paid for working. They wouldn't make much but it would be an incentive to do well and would relieve much of the strain families of inmates have financially. We are doing time also in many respects. Write and call your reps!!! Power is in numbers!
And we're still going strong!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:03 AM
Donation Award 

I have contacted my rep. How about you? Remeber the TX legislature convenes Jan. 9 and they are only in session for 140 days. That's it! And then it will be another 2 years before they meet again. We must make our voices heard now!

Old 12-20-2006, 07:30 AM
TRUE LOVE NEVER FAILS!!!!

that would be wonderful....!!!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Donation Award 

Your right, and it is a win, win! So, did you send an email? We have to tell them before it is too late and we have to wait another 2YEARS for the chance again!