Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:58 PM

Default PENN Sex Offenders-Who is correct? Are addresses required by Law??

Who is correct? This link here to the --> Sex Offender Assessment Board for Penn (this is a PA government site) states the following: (note see image of snapshot also attached).

Who's website is correct (SOAB or Penn State Police Megan's site) - mainly, what is the correct law?!!

I know that employment street addresses are not now listed for persons convicted prior to Dec 20 2012 but does this also apply to residence addresses?? Is this a typo - as in the "asterisk"?!

Is this stating that residence addresses being listed on Megan's Site for Penn is "Prohibited by Law"?! If so the residence addresses are still being listed on Penn Megan's site for persons convicted prior to Dec 20 2012!!

----------------------------
The following information on registered sex offenders is available on the website:
• Name and any aliases;
• Year of birth;
• The city, county, and zip code of all residences*;
• The city, county, and zip code of any institution or location at which the offender is enrolled as a student*;
• The city, county, and zip code of any employment location*;
• A photograph of the offender, which shall be updated not less than annually;
• A description of the offense, which triggered registration; and
• The date of conviction, if available.

*Note: State law prohibits the release of street addresses for sex offenders.

-------------------------------------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (199.0 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,744 Times in 12,567 Posts

I don't know the answer, but the PA State Police provide a phone number where you can clarify the current registry law, which was changed by Act 10 of 2018 which was signed into law on February 21, 2018. Act 10 substantially changes registration requirements for certain sexual offenders in Pennsylvania.

"If you believe any of the information found within this registry is inaccurate, please contact the Pennsylvania State Police, Bureau of Records and Identification, Megan's Law Section, 1800 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA 17110, toll free at 1-866-771-3170".
Old 05-18-2019, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the reply fbopnomore

Yes, I am aware of the tele number for Megans of Penn. However one gets conflicting information from both Megans office in Harrisburg and if going in to the state police for in person updates (quarterly). I am speaking of persons with conviction prior to Dec 20, 2012. I believe this is the determination "line". Meaning this date determines what information must now be updated and keep current for the registry.

As what I was told by Megans Harrisburg that anyone convicted prior to Dec 20 2012 must only update their residence, employment and education information. My friend (None-SVP) went in for his quarterly (his conviction was 2000) and was told by the state trooper that if my friend did not give him (the state trooper) all his vehicle information that he could be subject to arrest, so my friend complied. Really, what was my friend to say to the trooper - "No, I'm not giving you my car information".

Persons convicted prior to Dec 20 2012 were supposed to receive their new registry requirements by mail but have not to date. I believe the state police had up to 18 months to make all the changes according to the new ACT 10. Information that should not be on a person's registry (Megan's public site listing) is still on it such as car information, scars tattoos, etc. I was under the impression that all of that information was to be removed from the public site.

So the reason for the concern is who does one listen to and believe. Megans Harrisburg office or the state police telling you that if you don't give them (the state police) the information (that you know you don't have to) they will arrest you. Even if they arrest you and place you in jail for a few days until it is squared away is not something someone should have to go through.

Reading and interpreting and understanding fully ACT 10 is not an easy task. I have attempted to. Hiring an attorney can be very expensive just to find out what you are required by law to do if you were convicted prior to Dec 20 2012. As we all know "Ignorance of the law is no excuse".
Old 05-18-2019, 06:17 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,744 Times in 12,567 Posts

I agree that it is confusing in Pennsylvania. I have encountered overreaching bureaucrats too, they seem to gravitate to jobs where they can hassle SOs.

The actual law should be the answer, but I would have done the same thing as your friend when threatened with arrest.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:42 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,262 Posts

The SOAB website is misleading. THEY will not release information.
Simply go to Act 10 or Act 29 and read it. THAT is the law. Under that law, the primary and secondary residential addresses are listed in full for everyone. If you're Pre-SORNA, then your work address is just CSZ. The key word is "address", which appears throughout the law. for example, in Section 9799.62, the phrase is "the address or addresses where ... has a residence." In Section 9799.63(c)(1)(iii) [relating to information posted on the website} it states "... the street address, municipality county and zip code of all residences ..."

You can read the entire act (listed as HB631) here: https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...ssInd=0&act=10

As for PSP seeming to take more information than described under Subchapter I, this is still happening because not every Trooper is fully up-to-speed on the different requirements (Subchapter I vs. Subchapter H) or is properly looking at the offense date. From those who have contacted us, they have been able to explain they're under Subchapter I to the Trooper and walk out. No one has told us of a credible threat used to extract unrequired information. If it does happen, the logical thing to do is report what is asked and then file a grievance with PSP.

The idea of fighting over the vehicle information is petty, The website won't let it upload if you're in Subchapter I, so no one else will see it. And if the PSP wants to know about vehicles you own, they simply access PennDOT and find out. i could understand if the dispute was over an email address, but arguing over information about a vehicle you own is just itching for a confrontation. Sometimes people need to stop viewing the law enforcement officers as the enemy and simply respect them for doing their job, even if they make a mistake.
fbopnomore (05-19-2019)