Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM

Default Getting married in County in IA

Has anyone gotten married while their loved one was locked up? My husband and I who aren't legally married.. are wanting to get married for real. However he is in county jail for at least the next 30 to 90 days awaiting a further decision. I am wondering what steps to take to go about getting married while the other person isnt around physically.
The Following User Says Thank You to LForney88 For This Useful Post:
bmoreicon (09-13-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2017, 03:27 PM

I got married while my husband was in the county been married for 2 years now. The process was fairly easy but expensive
Old 09-13-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LForney88 View Post
Has anyone gotten married while their loved one was locked up? My husband and I who aren't legally married.. are wanting to get married for real. However he is in county jail for at least the next 30 to 90 days awaiting a further decision. I am wondering what steps to take to go about getting married while the other person isnt around physically.
Look in the state specific forum for details. The requirements vary state to state with some facilities not allowing marriages at all. Contact the chaplain at your husband facility whole should be able to answer any questions pertaining to marriage procedures.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmoreicon For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renea0428 View Post
I got married while my husband was in the county been married for 2 years now. The process was fairly easy but expensive
How much did it cost? I am not even sure on the steps to take. When he called me today, he said he would try to figure it out as well. I'm sure there's someone I can contact.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
How much did it cost? I am not even sure on the steps to take. When he called me today, he said he would try to figure it out as well. I'm sure there's someone I can contact.

Where is he I'm in California
Old 09-13-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Where is he I'm in California
I'm in Iowa.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:43 PM

Thanks. I'll check it out now
Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I'm in Iowa.

Oh ok I really don't know how it goes your way sorry
Old 09-13-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Oh ok I really don't know how it goes your way sorry
That's okay. I am already the annoying lady who calls the jail with questions constantly. I'll call some more. Lol
Old 09-13-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I'm in Iowa.
Once again. Check with the Chaplain at his facility as the process is different by state and even by facility. I am in Maryland at the facility where my husband-to-be is not only are marriages allowed we are also required to bring them their own set of clothing for the ceremony which is exclusive to his facility out of the entire state. Chaplin's here will not conduct the ceremony you have to bring in your own pastor. The process usually starts writing a letter to the chaplain declaring your intent to marry the inmate. Some states require proxy marriages leaning the ceremony is not held in person it's just paperwork, While others will allow proxy marriages for people who reside out of state. Although the chaplain is gone for the day probably, to get started you could try looking up the courthouse in the county in which his prison is to see the requirements for a wedding license. If a proxy is acceptable in that county the website will tell you that. One of you will have to talk to someone at his facility to get the details of the process. My fiancé spoke with the Chaplain and I called as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreicon View Post
Once again. Check with the Chaplain at his facility as the process is different by state and even by facility. I am in Maryland at the facility where my husband-to-be is not only are marriages allowed we are also required to bring them their own set of clothing for the ceremony which is exclusive to his facility out of the entire state. Chaplin's here will not conduct the ceremony you have to bring in your own pastor. The process usually starts writing a letter to the chaplain declaring your intent to marry the inmate. Some states require proxy marriages leaning the ceremony is not held in person it's just paperwork, While others will allow proxy marriages for people who reside out of state. Although the chaplain is gone for the day probably, to get started you could try looking up the courthouse in the county in which his prison is to see the requirements for a wedding license. If a proxy is acceptable in that county the website will tell you that. One of you will have to talk to someone at his facility to get the details of the process. My fiancé spoke with the Chaplain and I called as well.
I tried to reply to you before.. not sure why it didn't go through. Thank you. I am just gonna have to do some calling around to find out.