Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Coming Home
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coming Home Dedicated to discussions about our loved ones that are coming home soon. Discussions here should not fit any other category.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Granny4

My son was to go before the parole board in about a week but he recieved word that doesn't have to now, they granted him his parole with a score of 11+. He will find out in a few days when the doors will open for him. He's been in for about 425 days. I am so scared for him or maybe I should say for me. He's been clean from drugs for almost a year.Well it will be a year on his ealy release date. He is in two drug classes in prison so I will just pray that those classes will help him to see how to walk away. If they don't help I know my Lord will. He has a lot of prayer going out for him.
God bless
Granny
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Mom & Wifey to the Greg's

Wow that is a great article, that will help me/us alot thanks.

SOON OUR FAMILY WILL BE A COMPLETE FAMILY!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Account Closed

Thank you sooo much for posting this. I have printed it out, and put it up on my bedroom wall. I will refer to this as the days go by, and we get closer to homecoming. With 88 days to go, all I have been thinking about is what he "better" do, and not do. I am hurt, and angry, and simply not willing to do this again. So, I have been telling myself that I will be strong, and firm with him. Not stopping to think that being insensitive to his transition could be devasting to our marriage, and him as a human being. This article has definitely impacted me, it brought me tears,reminding me that despite his tough macho attitude, he is hurting from this too.
-Renee
Old 05-08-2005, 07:10 AM

Thank you so much for your time in giving us this guide. I've been trying to read other threads that would provide me hints on what to do or not to do. I believe this says it all. I've also found a couple mistakes I've been making already. Our type of situation does not come with instructions. I haven't seen a book written yet called Inmate Release for Dummies. Again, thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to MissMySoulmate For This Useful Post:
Fallen1700 (07-15-2018)
Old 05-08-2005, 10:26 AM
home since 8/06

I wonder who the author is and how they are doing...
Old 05-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Here to help.

I wish I had read this article last week! I've already started putting pressure on him and didn't realize what I was doing.
Jimmy will be home (with good behavior) in March 2006. We have just started making plans for his home coming . He told me to make sure I had 25 and 40 lb dumb bells for him when he got home so he could continue his weight training. Being of an "outside" mind I asked him what clothes I could get for him. He went on and on about how he didn't know his size, his body frame had changed ... just on and on. I pushed it with, what I thought was, an "easy" question. "What kind of underwear do you want? Boxers or briefs .. or thongs?" The confusion that came from him was astounding .... he just didn't know.
So, to those of you that have been there ... what should we do? There are some questions, some decisions that need to be made right away. Simple questions like what kind of undies does he want. Do I get 3 pair of boxers and 3 briefs? But then he has to decide which to wear. Do I wait till he gets home, but then he will have to go to the mall. Do I make the decision (which reinforces the prison mentality), do we make it together or do I force him into a corner? The large things (like corn or green beans ) seem easy compared to very simple decisions.
Any insight would be helpful.

Last edited by JimsLee; 05-30-2005 at 08:05 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to LeesFree For This Useful Post:
Fallen1700 (07-15-2018)
Old 05-30-2005, 09:11 AM

I so thank you for this article. My Sweetie is almost home after 4 years and 4 months down. I really appreciate the insight.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:00 AM
So Confused....

I have read this article before in the book "How to Love and Inspire Your Man After Prison" by Michael B. Jackson, but I have to say that it still makes a huge impact every time I read it. I can't even count how many times I've re-read it. I am just so afraid of making a mistake and overwhelming him once my man released!
Old 06-19-2005, 01:12 AM
My soul is his

This article made me realize alot and helped out ..thanks for posting it!!!

Old 06-19-2005, 08:47 AM
home since 8/06

slashly, how was that book "how to love and inspire your man..."?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:20 AM
I wish George was home

I am so glad that I read this post.

My man still has 3 years before he can come home, but I already think of things like this, and I hope that I can be as much help as I can to help his transition.

I am going to print this out and send it to him. I think he'd like it too.

Thanks again.

Angie

I'd rather live in his world
Than live without him in mine.

OK, I'm going to try this again...
Please pray for me to lose weight!!!
Thank you!!
Old 06-19-2005, 09:47 AM
So Confused....

Mrs G, it was pretty good. It's written my an ex prisoner. It's filled with questions about various scenarios involving prisoners and how we should handle the situations. This testimony my Mrs. Reyes was my favorite part of the book, though. You can find the authors to a lot of questions on his website, www.jointfx.com My other favorite part of the book was the overview that speaks of the "prisonwife" (which includes wives, mothers, girlfriends, sisters, and any other woman that loves a man in prison). The overview states, "she suffers in her own private prison while her only apparent crime is that seh loves a man who is caught up in the criminal justice system. Never has there been a more under-appreciated, under-supported and generally misunderstood group of women. But, don't feel sorry for her. She's successful, strong, educated, intelligent, and law-abiding. She's in control of her world and she's able to take care of herself." I think thatstatement says it all. I hold my head high to be classified as a "prisonwife".
fraghanwicare (02-25-2010), O's Sweetheart (12-18-2012), rascal_gal (11-18-2008), starr_poet (12-02-2008)
Old 07-31-2005, 09:06 PM
johnny's love for life

i just read this for the first time today. my husband is coming home in 12 days. he has only had to do 120 days but i can tell just by talking to him and his letters that he has changed and these things are things we will have to work on together. i am so glad i saw this before he came home i think it will really help me!!!
kris
Old 08-17-2005, 10:01 AM

I also agree that this should be required reading. I am glad I found it before now, before he comes home. I will really take this into account and plan accordingly for his release (May 26th 2006 - hopefully!).

Also, I love the post from Ash (two before this one) regarding -prisonwives-. So true and very powerful!

"When you get to the end of your rope - tie a knot in it and hang on." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 08-17-2005, 02:45 PM
One more month

Great article! Thanks!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM

Default post-release resources

I've got a pen pal in MSP who's getting out next summer. He's been inside for nearly 15 years. I think his family has dumped him. He's gonna need help and support when he gets out that I won't be able to give him. I live thousands of miles away. Can anybody refer me to post-release resources in MS? I'd really appreciate it.

WaldoP
Old 09-22-2005, 11:11 AM

This was a very informative article. I will definately use the advice when he comes home.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Donation Award 

This article brought tears to my eyes. I am having trouble controlling them now. My Son is coming home in 3 weeks, after being in prison 2 years, county jail for 1 year and only out a month in between. These tips in your post are things I never thought of or considered. It is very sad. Reading this I will do my best to share it with those who will be around him so they too can understand and try to be helpful to him if needed.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:10 PM

Thank you for posting this, it will help me alot!!

Old 01-08-2006, 02:04 AM
OX~Back In His Arms~OX

Thank You so much for that artical. I learned a lot from it and will put forward what I learned from it for when my baby comes home in a few months. I knew things would be different but I wasn't sure how different they would be. But now I have a better idea and I can care for his needs better knowing what I know now Thank You.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebkrg
I am sorry that I do not have the author's name to post with this article... I do believe that it has been posted somewhere before on PTO - but not sure that I did not get it through an email from someone...
Storm Reyes is a prolific writer. The most recent article of hers I saw was here http://www.thenewstribune.com/opinio...-4927331c.html and in case nobody has posted it the first time I the article you quoted she had posted it as "CAGED: WHEN THE DOOR OPENS: Coming Home" here http://ishgooda.org/caged/cageopen.htm

She posted her email address with the article for feedback. If it hasn't been done somebody should drop her a note and let her know how appreciated her work is on PTO.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Donation Award 

I am so glad you posted this for all of us that helps us look forward to the day my son comes home, and now we will know what we have to work with. Thank you. This has been very helpful to me and my son. I mailed my son a copy. I love sending him things I learn on PTO. This allows him to see past the days and the years to come so that he will continue to look forward to coming home. Jeannie
Old 02-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Account Closed

Oh thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I needed to hear all of this I had no idea of what I was going to be asking of my husband and the danger (not that he would hit me intentionally but you know accidents happen)I could have put myself in by holding him without him knowing I was there or by coming in the room thanks again for the info. Think I'll cancel the party now
Old 03-29-2006, 10:04 PM

Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!!! Thank you!!!!! I know its been some years since this article was posted but here it is 2006 and its still helping many people. There are so many things in here that will help me so much my fiancé comes home in 31 days and i have had so many mixed feelings. Worried about the adjustment period. He says to me all the time things are going to be OK but in the worst of situations he says that. I've been on this ride with him since may 2005 and i can see the change in him. Thank you again for this. I rated this a 5 but if the scale went to 100 it wouldn't be enough.

31 days till my love is by my side
Old 04-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Waiting one day at a time

thank you for including me in this. -Arilita