Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 22,964 Times in 6,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jancy View Post
wow!!That is awesome-what an Angel! I love my blue light. There's something serene about that color. I also think that the song by Faith Hill-"where are you Christmas "-helped me grieve when my son was in prison. Try to keep hope alive in your heart.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (12-05-2016), momdianne (09-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2015, 07:55 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

'keeping you and your inmates in my heart.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Patchouli-where is that peace sign picture? Waiting to see! :~)

Old 12-15-2015, 06:51 AM

I found a blue wreath and a blue Angel at Walmart I decorated the tree in blue and white lights I'm feeling very blue this Christmas season
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxxmom For This Useful Post:
jancy (12-16-2015), momdianne (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 02:44 PM

Default blue holiday lights

Quote:
This goes back a long time now, but when my son was incarcerated, I could not bear the thought of Christmas with him inside. I really wanted the holiday season to disappear. I felt so bleak.

I decided to give up my traditional tree and changed to a different smaller pencil tree. I felt as blue as could be so I used blue lights.

I wrote to my son and told him about the blue light special Christmas. Then many others here joined me on the project and also decorated in blue. I had candles in the window in blue lights, too.

Although he has been out nearly six years now, I still always keep a blue nightlight burning to remind me of all the others who are inside, some for the rest of their lives.

Please feel free to join me in turning the world blue for the holidays in remembrance of all our loved ones who serve time.
I am new to this forum, but this isn't my son's first incarceration. I like your idea of the blue lights at Christmas, I actually have a string that I put in a candy jar last year as decoration. Thank you.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 9,513 Times in 4,011 Posts

Its my sons first incarceration and I will be celebrating my 2nd christmas without him this year. There was definately a big empty space at the table.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 09-09-2016, 05:03 PM

I will have to do this. I wish I would have seen this last year as my son was in county jail awaiting his court date. This year he is in prison. My daughter and I miss him so much. Maybe this will help us remember it's temporary. I will keep doing it for others who don't have their loved ones home with them. It's a wonderful idea.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:19 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,989 Times in 15,132 Posts

Quote:
Patchouli-where is that peace sign picture? Waiting to see! :~)
Sorry jancy...I'm gonna have to wait on someone more mechanically inclined than me I tried. I really did. But the clothes hangers I found are "newer," hence thinner and won't hold their shape. I wrestled with them for the longest time (off and on) until I gave up. The danged things used to be sturdier, thicker. I miss the old days when things actually stood the test of time

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 09-28-2016, 07:19 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Hi Patch! Yep you can't find a good old coat hangar these days! I recall we had so many when growing up, that from time to time, we would drop a bunch back off at the dry cleaners. If you do have some wire ones, they're wimpy.

I still have my blue light shining year round as a nightlight. Inmates are always in my prayers.

patchouli (09-28-2016), WhoDatFamily (09-29-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 07:25 AM

We have a yard light that we keep a blue lightbulb in - I love seeing it when I come up the hill to my house.

My son has been incarcerated 3 years now and it still makes me sad....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
jancy (11-02-2016), marie8899 (12-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 07:34 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma4us View Post
We have a yard light that we keep a blue lightbulb in - I love seeing it when I come up the hill to my house.

My son has been incarcerated 3 years now and it still makes me sad....
(Hugs). I pray for inmates every day with a special prayer for those in solitary.

I will never forget the sadness that I felt without my son here. Hoping that the blue light also reminds you that you are not alone. You're part of a band of parents who understand.

The Following User Says Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
LadyintheLake (11-30-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 06:43 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

I see that the stores have their Christmas stuff on the shelves! Blue bulbs n all!

Old 11-12-2016, 09:16 AM

Default Blue Lights

Quote:
This goes back a long time now, but when my son was incarcerated, I could not bear the thought of Christmas with him inside. I really wanted the holiday season to disappear. I felt so bleak.

I decided to give up my traditional tree and changed to a different smaller pencil tree. I felt as blue as could be so I used blue lights.

I wrote to my son and told him about the blue light special Christmas. Then many others here joined me on the project and also decorated in blue. I had candles in the window in blue lights, too.

Although he has been out nearly six years now, I still always keep a blue nightlight burning to remind me of all the others who are inside, some for the rest of their lives.

Please feel free to join me in turning the world blue for the holidays in remembrance of all our loved ones who serve time.
I wish I would've thought of this 3 years ago when my son went in. My church does a blue Christmas service every year and the first year I was hesitant about going because most of the people go for a death or divorce or something like that. But friends said I was still experiencing a loss even though he will be home one day. I wish I would have thought to buy a candle and put the blue light in it. This is our last thanksgiving and Christmas without him, as he will be getting out in Oct 2017 and I will be putting the blue candle in the window this year and forever more to remember all the ones who can't be home and for support for their families. This has been the hardest of journeys for my family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tlh62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-12-2016), jancy (11-12-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 08:25 PM

Wink

this is a nice idea...going out for a string of blue bulbs...
The Following User Says Thank You to guardianangel3 For This Useful Post:
jancy (11-29-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 05:24 AM

We have a blue light in our yard light and put it there when I first read Jancy's post back in 2014 (she had another one in another thread I believe).

Our son has been incarcerated since 2013 and we have 4+ years to go - I keep a supply of blue lightbulbs on hand...
The Following User Says Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
jancy (11-29-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma4us View Post
We have a blue light in our yard light and put it there when I first read Jancy's post back in 2014 (she had another one in another thread I believe).

Our son has been incarcerated since 2013 and we have 4+ years to go - I keep a supply of blue lightbulbs on hand...
yep it's hard to find the blue colored ones unless it is Christmas time. I also buy up extra 100 light sets this time of year in the clear bulbs because I keep them lit all year round on my fireplace mantle, hiding under and around my lanterns up there.

When I see blue lights in other people's yards and on their homes, I think of the inmates too. Even though those folks don't know that is what they symbolize.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:35 AM

This is also (hopefully) our last year having a blue Christmas. The beautiful blue wreath my neighbor made me will be passed on to someone else who needs it. I know it gave me a lot of comfort, and now that my son has a ipad I can send him a picture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to georgiagrama For This Useful Post:
jancy (12-03-2016), marie8899 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

what a wonderful neighbor! I still get teary eyed when I read your post from last year where your neighbor did this kindness for you. A double blessing- she blessed you and you blessed her by opening her heart and mind to the plight of those who have children in prison. How cool too, that you can share a picture with your son! Tell your son that on Christmas you will think of him at a certain time and light a candle for him. Tell him to think of you as well at that same moment.

Last edited by jancy; 12-03-2016 at 12:57 PM..
Old 12-03-2016, 12:59 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianangel3 View Post
this is a nice idea...going out for a string of blue bulbs...
awesome!! Join the blue brigade!!

Old 03-14-2018, 05:11 PM

Super late to the party here, but I totally love this idea! I will definitely do something similar for next Christmas!
Old 03-15-2018, 12:55 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychest View Post
Super late to the party here, but I totally love this idea! I will definitely do something similar for next Christmas!
it's never too late! I keep a blue bulb in one nightlight year round to keep my mind focused on the inmates.

Billys_Lady (03-15-2018), fbopnomore (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Billy's Sweetheart

I don't have a child in prison, but the love of my life is there, and we are waiting patiently for his release date, so I'll be doing this for him this year! Thanks for the idea ladies
Old 03-17-2018, 09:05 PM

I love this idea wish I had found this before Christmas 2017 our first Christmas with my son locked up and now just found out he has been deferred and he will still be in there through the holidays again I'm going to do this and let him know when I will be lighting them everyday so he knows we are thinking of him I may put blue lights up now in some way so we can do it nightly I know I hated this past holidays I couldn't celebrate at all didn't have the heart to do anything I'm so worried about him he has become so depressed since finding out he wasn't getting out for the second time I am having such a hard time dealing with this we have never been apart before like this he may be 33 years old but we I see him through that glass talking to me on that phone knowing I can't hug him and tell him everything going be OK all I see is my little boy who always came to me to fix his hurt now I can't💔
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mom C. For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-17-2018), GaReform (03-17-2018), Itshardtowait (09-07-2018), jancy (03-25-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 05:48 PM

Default I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom C. View Post
I love this idea wish I had found this before Christmas 2017 our first Christmas with my son locked up and now just found out he has been deferred and he will still be in there through the holidays again I'm going to do this and let him know when I will be lighting them everyday so he knows we are thinking of him I may put blue lights up now in some way so we can do it nightly I know I hated this past holidays I couldn't celebrate at all didn't have the heart to do anything I'm so worried about him he has become so depressed since finding out he wasn't getting out for the second time I am having such a hard time dealing with this we have never been apart before like this he may be 33 years old but we I see him through that glass talking to me on that phone knowing I can't hug him and tell him everything going be OK all I see is my little boy who always came to me to fix his hurt now I can't💔
I know exactly how you feel, this will be my sons 2nd year also, I will be putting up Bluelights also! Hugs for you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-08-2018), jancy (10-09-2018)