Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:57 AM

Default Allergies

I know this is a long shot but I was hoping, well, maybe "hoping" isn't the correct word, that someone here may be allergic to petroleum (i.e. mineral oil). This is a rare allergy but as luck would have it I have it! We discovered it in 2010 for certain but there is so little information on it. I have been able to control it for the most part but when I haven't I wasn't working so I didn't have to worry about getting to work or functioning as a human being. That has changed. I also think that it is now progressing in the fact that it seems I'm having reactions to things I haven't in the past OR have new, added, allergies. And it is making life difficult to say the least.

Being allergic to petroleum means reading the ingredients on pretty much EVERYTHING from makeup, to food, to cleaning products, to deodorants, to lotions, to soaps... literally everything. On top of this I'm allergic to bleach (it makes my skin burn when in the air) and as of late it appears I'm allergic to Keflex (the antibiotic).

I'm to the point of quitting my job and investing in a bubble ..... then again it is just that I'm having issues right now again. Once I get another handle on it I should be fine.

I'm thinking that if someone else here has the same issue they may know other things that are common allergies with this type of thing and can maybe help me add to my list of things to avoid... I'm thinking it will have to probably start with all oils.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,486 Times in 15,242 Posts

I think Im sensitive to it. I think for you? A dr appt is in order.
And have benedryl on hand.

I got pretty ill a while back and found out I have crohns. The medication they put me on knocks down my immune system and my seasonal allergies got so minimal I stopped taking any meds for it. However, this yr? From all the rain Im thinking there is too much pollen in the air and I should probably stock up on something for them.
Dont want hives. ug.
(also sensitive for Septra too. So they give me other stuff if needed)

That's my dog's nose art

Last edited by sidewalker; 05-25-2019 at 07:39 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 AM

Well I had to go to the doctor last week... It's been a long drawn out saga. Let's just say I'm not just "sensitive" to petroleum... I have one of the rare big reactions to it, although it took years to determine that it wasn't one particular product or item (different deodorant, suppositories or even lubricants) but the main ingredient. Sometimes the reaction is digestive that can mask itself as Crohn's or IBS... sometimes it's topical and ends in a rash and sometimes my face or other body parts will just swell for apparently no reason. Sometimes it's a mixture of all of those things....

I got poison ivy last week when I was mowing and weeding the yard at the new house. I found some clear caladryl lotion that did not list mineral oil or petroleum on it but apparently I was allergic to that. Last Saturday I had to leave work and go to the immediate care center as it had gotten so bad. They gave me a shot then also oral steroids and Keflex. The doctor gave the Keflex because I had a few spots I had scratched open and she was scared of infection despite how small. At first she told me to get triple antibiotic ointment for it and cover it. I explained that I would have to buy the spray kind because all of the ointments have the mineral oil in it. I had to stop the Keflex and I think it's just finishing getting out of my system.

Because this is so rare, especially my reactions to it, doctors and pharmacists do not know a lot about it. In fact, often it appears that I know more than they do.

If you have a sensitivity to it always read labels but know that it is the mineral oil/petroleum that in essence thickens things like lotions, gummy bears, body soaps, chapstick...etc. Burts Bees is a good one to use when it comes to chapsticks and lotions. Like I said before spray ointments (like benadryl and neosporin) work for the most part. Watch candles.... that is nothing but petroleum. I can burn most of them and I can melt the wax for the most part but I touch them as little as possible and there are certain ones I cannot use. For example for whatever reason I cannot burn a candle or melt wax that has pumpkin in it. If I don't do the "fresh linen" kind for a while it will initially make my face swell but it doesn't last long lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-24-2019), sidewalker (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 07:45 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,486 Times in 15,242 Posts

I had a coworker who was allergic to the latex and rubber thumbs (we would use those to help hand sort the mail....rather than licking your finger or thumb while going from house to house)
I think he used to try tape on his thumb.
Glad Im not that bad like you are.

Once I had to go to the urgent care for a case of hives. Only I didnt know what it was. I just broke out and lips started swelling.....so I drove to the dr office asking if they could suggest a cream to put on it. lol. They hustled me in and gave me a shot of adrenlyn. (sp) Then as the hives went down, another shot of longer acting.
It was odd, because I cleared up right away and the next morning it was back, but just faintly. I'd been outdoors all day sitting on the grass. Guess I just got pollen overload.
Other time was when I was pruning an overgrown pink jasmine vine. No hives but dang did I have a hard time breathing. Wheezing, coughing etc.
they just gave me an inhaler for that.

Glad I dont have it worse.
Tho I suspect they are kicking in. I have the stupid cough right now. totally non productive and annoying.

That's my dog's nose art