Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Asia and Pacific Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Asia and Pacific Prison & Criminal Justice Topics Discussions and Information about Asia and Pacific-region Prisons, Jails, the Criminal Justice System, etc.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:10 PM

Default Shipping Books to a Japanese Prisoner

Hello everyone,

My father-in-law made some questionable decisions, and is in prison in Japan (Yokohama Prison). He's been there a couple of years, and will likely be there for a lot longer. I don't remember the dates/years, unfortunately, and I can't currently look them up.

We're wanting to send him some books on Japanese (Genki vol. 1 and 2 and Japanese for Dummies, possibly some other fiction books but nothing we've decided on yet), because he has requested them. He hasn't told us about any issues we might encounter in trying to ship these to him, but I wanted to ask around here and see if any of you know if there might be trouble getting the books to him, or what I should expect. I assume I can just box the books up and send them, but I do want to be sure he receives them, and if there's anything I should be aware of.

The other question I had was this: He has claimed that he can have paper with writing on one side of it, but not blank notebooks. I don't know if this is just a misunderstanding on his part, or if that is an actual rule at Yokohama. Does anyone know? I had considered sending him some blank "Campus" notebooks, but then he said that blank paper wasn't allowed.

Thank you in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washi View Post
Hello everyone,

My father-in-law made some questionable decisions, and is in prison in Japan (Yokohama Prison). He's been there a couple of years, and will likely be there for a lot longer. I don't remember the dates/years, unfortunately, and I can't currently look them up.

We're wanting to send him some books on Japanese (Genki vol. 1 and 2 and Japanese for Dummies, possibly some other fiction books but nothing we've decided on yet), because he has requested them. He hasn't told us about any issues we might encounter in trying to ship these to him, but I wanted to ask around here and see if any of you know if there might be trouble getting the books to him, or what I should expect. I assume I can just box the books up and send them, but I do want to be sure he receives them, and if there's anything I should be aware of.

The other question I had was this: He has claimed that he can have paper with writing on one side of it, but not blank notebooks. I don't know if this is just a misunderstanding on his part, or if that is an actual rule at Yokohama. Does anyone know? I had considered sending him some blank "Campus" notebooks, but then he said that blank paper wasn't allowed.

Thank you in advance for your help
You can send him any books and letters but it will be inspected and censored by the guards first before they are passed to him. It would be better to be in Japanese since guards may not be able to read English. The guards will decide either to hand him the books or if found unapproiate they will be confiscate them. Japan, China, Korea also works this way.

Second question I do not know you have to ask the prison regime. You can try to call them.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 PM

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunghwapost View Post
You can send him any books and letters but it will be inspected and censored by the guards first before they are passed to him. It would be better to be in Japanese since guards may not be able to read English. The guards will decide either to hand him the books or if found unapproiate they will be confiscate them. Japan, China, Korea also works this way.

Second question I do not know you have to ask the prison regime. You can try to call them.
This post is over 2 years old but hopefully someone will find the information helpful.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:57 PM

Hello guys,

Information from my son in Fuchu Prison, not Yokohama Prison:
1. Every time you can mail 5 books to him.
2. No notebooks is allowed by mail. (He can buy it in prison 100yen each).

Hope this can help.