Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:05 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,159 Posts
Default Having a Gun in the House with a Felon on Parole

Quick backstory:

A while back husband got into an argument outside with a neighbor. The neighbor assaulted him, injuring him pretty badly. In order to get out of trouble, the neighbor called the police and told them my husband was threatening him with a gun and the assault was self defense. My husband was arrested for criminal mischief possession of a firearm and the other guy got a citation for criminal mischief and was let go.

My husband didn’t have a gun on him, but I did have one inside the house. It had a lock on it and the keys were hidden somewhere but they still took the gun as evidence of possession.

He ended up being released a couple hours later dt the DA refusing the possession charge (no one could describe my very recognizable gun). They were still going to hold him on the criminal mischief charges but his injuries were too severe for the jail to accept and he was released without charges. But it was pretty terrifying. If they’d found him guilty of possession of a firearm he was looking at 25 years in prison.

So it’s all behind us now, but it’s time for me to pick up my gun. I want to get rid of it immediately. It just doesn’t seem worth it. But my husband works a ton and wants me to keep it for protection...but in a way where they can’t say he has access at all, like a thumbprint safe.

Am I crazy for thinking he’s crazy? Is there a safe way to keep a gun in the house that’s still accessible enough so I can get to it in an emergency?
Even after it was clear he didn’t have the gun at the scene, the investigator still tried to send the gun off for fingerprints just to try to prove he’d EVER touched it so they could charge him. The DA had to refuse charges 3 times before they gave up. This is clearly a county with no love for felons and i think I have a right to be a bit paranoid.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:26 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,598 Posts

I can only answer you on an emotional level and if it'd be me in this situation I would remove all guns from the house.
Actually I had the same conversation with my boyfriend who told me that a friend of his is storing his guns he had at the time of his arrest. He's a convicted felon and is not allowed to be near guns nor own one. So for me it's pretty clear: no guns whatsoever. I'm not into guns at all so for me no problem but my boyfriend could get into the same trouble your husband is or was facing. I personally will never store or even buy guns for him.
How about selling them and rather install a security system? Just thinking out loud...
Ms Sunny (07-12-2018), Sarianna (07-12-2018), WeepingWillow (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 03:50 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,159 Posts
Default Having a Gun in the House with a Felon on Parole

Oh no, definitely don’t hold those guns for him if he gets out! Especially because they belonged to him. That’s just asking for trouble. You never know what could happen. We woke up that day planning a picnic at the lake and ended it with him in the back of a police car with a broken neck and 25-life hanging over his head. All because of a lie. You just never know.

I’m a born and raised Texan. I was practically born with a gun in my hands, but this experience has me perfectly okay with never seeing a firearm again. It not worth it. Even if my husband would’ve bee found “not guilty,” just being charged would’ve meant him sitting in jail with no bond until the trial was over. He would’ve missed the birth of our baby and lord knows what else. Just not worth it.

A security system is a good idea. I’ll bring that up to him. I mean, when I think about it I can’t blame guys for being hesitant to give up their guns. When you lived in a world full of criminals who ALL had guns and many who would use them..:it’s gotta be very unsettling to be the guy who doesn’t have one for protection.

Last edited by WeepingWillow; 07-12-2018 at 03:54 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WeepingWillow For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (07-12-2018), Sarianna (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 05:40 AM

Thanked 11,021 Times in 5,974 Posts

Only you can make the decision. However, with what is described, even if you kept it as LTC and it was in your purse (presuming a handgun), it sounds like your jurisdiction would be making life hell for you if he was in the vehicle when its presence was discovered or noted.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post
My husband didn’t have a gun on him, but I did have one inside the house. It had a lock on it and the keys were hidden somewhere but they still took the gun as evidence of possession.
A firearm is pretty useless against a home invasion unless it is readily accessible at a moment's notice, and only then if you are prepared to use it.

"Under lock and key, with key hidden elsewhere" means you likely aren't going to be able to get to it in time in any real emergency. So why bother keeping it at all in that case?

While you could always invest in a quick-release/fingerprint safe kept by your bedside which should cure any joint-possession issues, a home security system with audible alarm or even just loud barking dog tends to work just as well at keeping intruders at bay.

Unless you keep the firearm around for hunting or sporting use or something, in which case it may be just as easy to store the firearm off-site and only go out to retrieve it when you plan to actually use it...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
AndyS (07-12-2018), Sarianna (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

Yeah, my husband got 7.5 years for my guns which were locked in a safe. I won't have a gun now, since my BF is a felon. I want one, I've had them all my life, I would feel far safer with one, if he works out of town I'll keep one....but NEVER never never when he's near.
Sarianna (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:48 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,372 Times in 7,491 Posts

You both are really arguing peace of mind - he wants peace of mind that you are safe from attacks, you want peace of mind that he won’t be busted and sent to prison because the prosecutors construe access to your guns, ammo, and related materials. In short, you want him around and he wants you around for the long term.

If you look at it from that perspective, you might be able to answer your question a bit easier.

For his concern - your safety: is a gun the only answer? Is it stored in a way that you have instant access in case you need it? Are there children in the house (who will be sneaking around either to discover Christmas presents or sneaking in the house when they are late for curfew)? Is a dog or a security system an option, and will it reduce his concerns - why or why not? If he is in the house when something bad happens, would you be able to pull a gun? What would he do that would compensate for not pulling a gun? Does he think that he makes you crime proof?

For your concerns: what happens if you lose him to a possession charge? Is he comfortable sitting in prison when he wouldn’t have to if there was no gun in the house? If you lose him to the system, what do your lives look like? Especially if he pulls 25 years? What do you expect out of the next 25 years assuming he’s not in prison? What major life events do you expect to have, does your family expect to have? How will you both feel with his absence from the picture? How would you both feel with the absence of his income from the picture for the next 25 years?

I’m assuming you’ve done the basic gun ownership questions and assume you have a gun, know how to use it, practice regularly, and are prepared to shoot somebody, so we won’t get into that. Instead, address your peace of mind concerns and make your choices based on those discussions.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Critter07 (07-15-2018), Minor activist (07-12-2018), nimuay (07-13-2018), Sarianna (07-12-2018), WeepingWillow (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:44 PM

Thanked 1,146 Times in 575 Posts

I am sure happy I live in an area where most people don't own guns and this would never have happened. That said, why take any chances? Get rid of the gun!!! My suburb is in a heated debate over banning bump stocks and assault weapons as we speak.

Clearly someone is looking to nail him as it is, they'll just keep trying to nail him, or provoke him or whatever, so why give them any reason to. They now all already know you own a gun. So to me, getting rid of it, that's that option completely off the table.

There must be other ways to protect yourself. Get a security alarm, put cameras outside your house, get the doorbells with the cameras that hook up to an app on your phone. All of that is pretty cheap and you can do it yourself. A lot of my neighbors have that. This ass of a neighbor may then leave you alone. But, again, the fact that they do know you have a gun, they will just try to bait you.

But don't take any chances. The risk of 25 years, is too great. And I totally agree with the others, if your gun is so safely locked up, realistically, how likely are you going to be able to get to it fast enough to get it out in time of need? If you don't want to get a burglar alarm, there must be other options for protection.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:10 AM

When parole came to our house they made it clear we could not have any guns..to the point they even told me to get rid of the pellet and bb gun ..a little ridiculous.. but I'm originally from Canada ..never owned or shot a gun ..for me a guns not a big deal however I do have 3 big dogs ( and 1 of my cats is rather vicious) I live in the country and I'm never scared ..even for those 2 years I spent alone..but I get where it's a dilemma when guns have been part of your life for so long. That said I'd still get rid of the gun ..25 years is no cakewalk!

Old 07-14-2018, 06:01 AM

Thanked 2,917 Times in 1,785 Posts

Obviously you know that anything could happen and having that gun in that house is just asking for him to go back to prison in my opinion he is going to be the first when they look at if something goes wrong. I would get rid of it as soon as possible if it were me.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:35 AM

Thanked 2,753 Times in 957 Posts

You’ve already learned that because someone lied your husband almost was looking at 25 more years in prison. He was very, very lucky that it turned out the way it did. He’s been out a little over one year and you now have a new baby. As other people have pointed out there are other things you can do for protection. Get a high decibel alarm you keep by your bed. Get a fire extinguisher. Even if you are highly skilled it only takes one second for the tables to turn and you are no longer the one holding the gun. What happens if someone breaks in and you do shoot them? Yes, you’ll be alive but will he also get in trouble even though you were protecting yourself?

What was it like for you when he was in prison? Are you willing to go through that again? Are you ready to raise your child alone? How will getting to know their Father behind bars affect your child?

I think you both have to accept that owning a gun is no longer possible. The odds you will actually need to use a gun on an intruder is low. The odds that he will go to prison if caught with a firearm? 100%. Personally, I think it’s a bit selfish for him to even consider risking going back to prison when there is no reason to do so.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
Old 07-14-2018, 07:43 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,162 Times in 11,768 Posts

Pepper spray, or a can of wasp insecticide can be much quicker to access when needed. Not as effective as a gun, but still helpful in a non lethal way.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:14 AM

Thanked 2,753 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Pepper spray, or a can of wasp insecticide can be much quicker to access when needed. Not as effective as a gun, but still helpful in a non lethal way.
Funny you should say that. I do keep bee spray in my bedroom. It shoots 25 feet so you don’t even have to get close to use it. Just aim and shoot.

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-14-2018), sidewalker (07-15-2018)