Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:22 PM

Default Florence prison CLOSING per Gov Ducey...

For those of us who live in the Valley and have a LO at Florence this is not good news as Florence is the closest facility. Ugh. (I don't have 25 posts yet so I can't put a link to this breaking news. Google for details).

Oh, and more smoke & mirrors:
State Dept of Corrections, which has been plagued with scandals, is getting a rebrand: the 'Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation and Reentry.' Ducey says the new moniker 'more clearly reflects the agency’s mission' of reducing recidivism.

Last edited by ComparedToWhat; 01-13-2020 at 09:59 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2020, 09:27 PM

Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,854 Posts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktar.co...te-prison/amp/

PHOENIX – Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey announced plans Monday to close the Florence state prison, touting taxpayers savings of around a quarter of a billion dollars.

The Governor’s office said in a press release the closure will save $247 million over three years by removing the need or maintenance and repairs at the facility.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktar.co...te-prison/amp/

PHOENIX – Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey announced plans Monday to close the Florence state prison, touting taxpayers savings of around a quarter of a billion dollars.

The Governor’s office said in a press release the closure will save $247 million over three years by removing the need or maintenance and repairs at the facility.
ha ha... as if ANY state or the federal government puts that's much money into a prison in 10 years, let alone 3!! They still have to house the inmates somewhere so that means, more jobs at the other prisons so very little of that $247 would be saved through salaries, indicating they are trying to say that the majority of that is spent on repairs or upkeep... not really believable IMO
The Following User Says Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
Shelby67 (02-06-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 12:43 PM

This is crazy... Arizona has one of the highest incarceration rates and they are closing a prison ?!? The other prisons/jails are at high capacity... where are they going to house them??

IF they would up keep them like they are SUPPOSED TO, spend money on what they are supposed to and pay the COs more money... then maybe the AZ prisons/jail wouldn't be so broken down and there would be more staff for more programs.

They are closing one prison down but adding tablets?
I'm all for tablets, AZ is way behind the curve when it comes to certain things, but there are plenty of other states, that I've seen that prisons/jails are still new looking even though they are old and they have the latest technology because how they are ran and kept.

SMH
Old 01-15-2020, 09:30 AM

I think it could potentially go well. If the new director really does follow rebranding as the Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation and Reentry.
Having more CO's in other facilities could bring actual programs. They already lowered the age requirement for COs and are letting them work before completing training. Moving established staff seems logical to me.
This may be an approach to lower the incarceration rates.
I've noticed more people talking about there people getting notice of them getting out 3 months before there release date too. So its possible they are getting people out sooner to make room.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoluv29 View Post
I think it could potentially go well. If the new director really does follow rebranding as the Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation and Reentry.
Having more CO's in other facilities could bring actual programs. They already lowered the age requirement for COs and are letting them work before completing training. Moving established staff seems logical to me.
This may be an approach to lower the incarceration rates.
I've noticed more people talking about there people getting notice of them getting out 3 months before there release date too. So its possible they are getting people out sooner to make room.
I'm not sure lowering the age to be a CO or allowing them to work without completing training can equal to anything good. It's bad enough that so many CO's think they are Gods... the last thing they need is to go younger AND let them deal with inmates without proper training.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
I'm not sure lowering the age to be a CO or allowing them to work without completing training can equal to anything good. It's bad enough that so many CO's think they are Gods... the last thing they need is to go younger AND let them deal with inmates without proper training.
That's why I added moving established staff seems more logical to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (01-15-2020), kari dunn (01-24-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 04:47 PM

I believe this is another "prison for profit" scheme from ADC remember Arizona guarantees 100% capacity to their private prison contractors. Sending sentenced inmates to serve their time in county jails is pure bullshit!
Old 01-19-2020, 11:15 PM

Second hand (but reliable info) today from someone who has LO in Florence North... Per Deputy Warden email moves will happen in next 6-12 months. Also, main water line broke and there is NO water.