Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Health Care Facility (CHCF)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Health Care Facility (CHCF) Topics, Discussions and Information related to the California Health Care Facility

Old 09-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Default Freaking out...

My bf is at CHCF due to numerous medical conditions, dialysis 3x/week and most recently a blood infection that requires daily antibiotics via IV.

I have not heard from him in a week, he told me he would call last weekend and I haven't gotten a call. He told me once that I shouldn't start wondering about his health until he's been out of contact for more than 2 weeks. Seriously? The man has major medical issues.

Anxious by nature, I am fearful if he has gone into a diabetic coma or if something has transpired on his possible future kidney transplant, or worse yet, if he is dead.

I am listed on his emergency contacts but I don't think he has ever signed a medical release allowing me access to his records.

If something major has happened to him, how long would it take the prison to reach out to emergency contacts? Who can I call/how can I confirm that he's alive and breathing and not in a coma. Does anyone have any sage, calming words of wisdom for me?

tia...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,686 Times in 8,033 Posts

They typically only call once the person has passed. So no one calling is, at least, that much of a good sign.

I usually recommend contacting the ombudsman or chaplain and asking them to do a wellness check. They may or may not tell you much other than he's "ok" or stable. But it's worth a shot, sometimes they will pass more information.

Contact List
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-11-2019), Firebrand (09-12-2019), JustLilOlMe1012 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 04:17 PM

thank you miamac. I will count my blessings that I haven't gotten a call - I can breathe a sigh of relief that he is breathing.

I will try the ombudsman in a couple of days, I'm now less panicked armed with the info you have provided.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustLilOlMe1012 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-11-2019), miamac (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 04:27 PM
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLilOlMe1012 View Post
thank you miamac. I will count my blessings that I haven't gotten a call - I can breathe a sigh of relief that he is breathing.

I will try the ombudsman in a couple of days, I'm now less panicked armed with the info you have provided.
It might not hurt to go ahead and email the ombudsman. The closer you get to the weekend the less likely you are to hear something back in a timely manner. I also saw on the Ombudsman site that they list the numbers for medical at each facility. I'd try calling them. The worst they can say is they can't tell you anything. It sounds like you have genuine concern for his health and you're not just bugging over a missed call. That's worth trying. Let us know when you hear.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
JustLilOlMe1012 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLilOlMe1012 View Post
My bf is at CHCF due to numerous medical conditions, dialysis 3x/week and most recently a blood infection that requires daily antibiotics via IV.

I have not heard from him in a week, he told me he would call last weekend and I haven't gotten a call. He told me once that I shouldn't start wondering about his health until he's been out of contact for more than 2 weeks. Seriously? The man has major medical issues.

Anxious by nature, I am fearful if he has gone into a diabetic coma or if something has transpired on his possible future kidney transplant, or worse yet, if he is dead.

I am listed on his emergency contacts but I don't think he has ever signed a medical release allowing me access to his records.

If something major has happened to him, how long would it take the prison to reach out to emergency contacts? Who can I call/how can I confirm that he's alive and breathing and not in a coma. Does anyone have any sage, calming words of wisdom for me?

tia...
Maybe he has been admitted to the hospital?? I agree, I'd contact his counselor or chaplain.

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 06:04 PM

Default A sigh of relief...

Whew... Just as I pulled up your responses, my phone rang... it was him, he's been sick.... really, really sick (severe gastro, hallucinations of people that died 10 years ago, unable to move/function) but today he was finally able to make it from his hospital bed to where ever the phones are. He's not feeling great, but is on the mend.

I did ask him to add me to his medical authorization/release of info form and he said he would see to it.

Thank you again for your support and your guidance, I now know next time where to reach out for help. Before this, I really wasn't sure who I was supposed to call or how to go about it. I hope that this post will help out anyone else who finds themselves in these scary shoes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JustLilOlMe1012 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-12-2019), miamac (09-11-2019), Ms Sunny (09-11-2019), sidewalker (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:12 PM

Glad you was able to receive a phone call from him. Now you know he was sick, and that's why you haven't heard from him. I'm praying he gets better soon. Stay strong!
The Following User Says Thank You to keywii For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 06:32 PM
Site Moderator

So very glad you heard from him. That's the best outcome!

My prayers that he continues to heal.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 01:32 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 11,265 Times in 4,679 Posts

Glad to hear he is feeling a little better and he was able to call.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.