Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

North Carolina General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in North Carolina that do not fit into any other NC subforum

Old 06-24-2011, 02:26 PM

Default NC 65% Law

My daughter is in a NC Prison and she said she heard there was a new law passed in NC about inmates serving 65% of time. I have searched everything I can think of and I can not find anything. Has anyone heard if this law has been passed in NC?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 PM

Default 65% has passed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugomama03 View Post
My daughter is in a NC Prison and she said she heard there was a new law passed in NC about inmates serving 65% of time. I have searched everything I can think of and I can not find anything. Has anyone heard if this law has been passed in NC?
Yes, this is true. As of august 2011, any minimum security inmate with no infractions is eligible for up to 17 days per month off their maximum sentence provided they maintain employment thru the prisons work system. The number of days they receive varies depending on the type of job held and how often he or she works. The good days start building up now!!

Last edited by missindaddy11; 06-26-2011 at 12:04 PM..
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM

but can they be released before their minimum? What happens when their maximum reaches their min?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Default 65% law

Does anyone know the name of this law
Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 PM

No according to the DOC FAQ's, that is a rumor.

Quote:
I've heard about a new law that requires inmates to serve only 65% of their sentence. Is this true?
Absolutely not! This so-called 65% law is a rumor. It is not true! Inmates convicted under North Carolina's Structured Sentencing Laws (crimes committed after 10/1/1994) must serve 100% of their minimum sentence. Inmates sentenced under Fair Sentencing laws (crimes prior to 10/1/1994) must serve until their sentence expires, or until they are granted parole by the Parole Commission.
That would be nice though ):
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/faq.htm#65%

Old 07-01-2011, 04:09 AM

i think that post on nc doc is old because all this was said recently! from what i heard since they are closing 4 prisons they will have to release inmates with non violent crimes! its suppose to be in affect august 8 or 9... i hope so
Old 07-01-2011, 03:53 PM

Unless the laws have been changed very recently, this is not true. I think there would be more talk about this if an early release law had been passed.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:24 PM
"bride 2 be"

there is new law called th justice reinvestment act, just got passed. that will reduced sum inmates time. it take effect dec 1 2011. not to sure on much on it.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Til' Death...

I have a question about this 65% law. My husband is being held on federal charges in a NC jail. We've been told federal inmates only serve 85% of their time, but recently heard a law is being passed saying they'll only have to serve 65%. True or false???
Old 09-25-2011, 01:24 AM
Why? When? Who? Where?

The short answer - False

There are so many factors involved in the sentencing of a crime:
What crime has he/she been convicted of?
Mitigating or Aggravating circumstances?
When the crime was committed?
etc

Follow the links:
From 2005:
http://sentencing.typepad.com/senten...up_for__1.html
Posted by: ann | Feb 28, 2005 9:07:19 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew of any new reforms passed that reduced the percentage of time prisoners had to serve before they were granted parole. I was told the laws just passed reducing the number from 85% to 65% of time a prisoner had to serve before being eligible for parole. If anyone has any information on this, please email as soon as possible. Thank you.
---------------------------------
Posted by: Millie | Mar 13, 2005 8:14:39 PM
I am the wife of a man serving a sentence under the NERA act. I veiw your web site daily to track any updates on sentencing issues. I am very interseted in the question from "Ann" posted on Feb 28th regarding the 85% to 65% issue. I have tried
finding information on this and have found nothing concrete. I would be most grateful for
an answer. Thank You
---------------------------------------------------
Posted by: denise camerieri | Mar 15, 2005 2:48:58 PM
Im the wife of a inmate and Im trying to find out more/any information about the new law
that changes the timed served before being
eligable for parolle from 85% to 65%.
Please send me any information you have found
out about this subject matter
Thank You
T Purg
--------------------------------------------------------------
From 2007:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Crime-Law...Guidelines.htm
Question
My son is in federal prison. He said there's a buzz in the air that Federal Prison Inmate will be allowed to serve 65% of their sentence and be allowed to petition for parole. Also, there will be shorter sentence options for first offender. Is there any truth to this? He said this is attached to the immigration/homeland security bill.
Answer
Dear Arthur,
You are referring to the Second Chance Act of (now) 2007.
Latest Major Action: 5/9/2007: Placed on the Union Calendar, Calendar No. 82.
However, it does not appear that a vote for this Bill took place.
-------------------------------------------------------------
From Sep 2011:
http://www.thesunmagazine.org/issues/429/rumors
At the age of sixty-five I was convicted of a felony and went from being a devoted husband, father, and grandfather to being a prison inmate. My first stop on the way to the federal penitentiary was a county lockup, where I shared a cell with a career criminal.
“How long are you down for?” he asked.
“Seven and a half years.”
“You’ll do four and a half,” he said with an air of certainty.
“But my lawyer told me you have to serve at least 85 percent of any federal sentence.”
“Not anymore. Congress just passed the 65 percent law. Obama has already said he will sign it.”
My heart soared. Only four and a half years away from my family! I couldn’t wait to get to a telephone and call my lawyer.
When I finally did, I was brought up short. Talk of the 65 percent law had been around since he was in law school, he said. It was an old jailhouse rumor.
I have since heard many such tales of drastically reduced sentences. For a time I wondered how anyone could be cruel enough to float such a rumor. Now I have a theory, summed up in a single word: hope.
Is it truly an act of cruelty to create, for a brief moment, the illusion of hope where none exists?
Steve Marshall
Oakdale, Louisiana
---------------------------------------------------------------
The Following User Says Thank You to 2021 For This Useful Post:
tave2710 (09-26-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 PM

Under Session Law 2011-192, Advanced Supervised Release (ASR) will allow an eligible person to be released on supervision after serving 80% of his or her minumim sentence, provided they participated in "risk reduction incentive" program. These risk reduction incentive programs are to be developed by the DOC. This becomes effective January 2, 2012, however, it only applies to persons convicted after that date.

Sorry, but it won't apply to persons currently incarcerated.
The Following User Says Thank You to ncreentry For This Useful Post:
ncmarkd (09-16-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missindaddy11 View Post
Yes, this is true. As of august 2011, any minimum security inmate with no infractions is eligible for up to 17 days per month off their maximum sentence provided they maintain employment thru the prisons work system. The number of days they receive varies depending on the type of job held and how often he or she works. The good days start building up now!!
Where do u find this "65% law for NC"? that where my B/F is & he still has 5 years left, would like to hear more & cant find anything on the law? PLZ let me know..THX SOOO MUCH!!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:34 AM

I just read something about 80 %
Old 09-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Tu eres mi corazon.....

Justice reinvestment Act is programs and such for offenders both in the community and coming back to the community. I work in a program out here in the world that is part of the JRA. Also the place I work at just received a TECS contract. I dont think JRA has anything to do with the amount of time but rather the assistance and the programs that can help offenders not re-offend etc.