Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:39 PM

Default New criminal justice reform law

I realize most here are very anti trump (no surprise this being a prisontalk forum), but I'm curious on the opinions and thoughts concerning the desire of his administration, along with both sides of the aisle, in the soon to be overhaul of the criminal justice system? I'm sure the attitude amongst many, including me, is that it's about time, but does anyone feel it isn't going far enough?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2018, 04:03 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,476 Times in 12,943 Posts

I'll believe it after it happens. The one bill that has been touted for over a year is being blocked from a vote by one Republican Senator. It's not what politicians say, but rather what they do that matters.

Nothing would make me happier than bipartisan prison/sentencing reform resulting in something more than talk. Instead, the bop and many States continue to build new prisons, not to replace old ones but to house all of the new prisoners projected to arrive (after filling up all of the private prisons).
Old 12-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Thanked 1,816 Times in 727 Posts

As the title says, it's the 1st step. No, it doesn't go far enough & excludes a lot of people but it is a thaw in the attitude that's been around for years. I think that there are more & more people of all income levels & places in society that either have someone they love impacted or have been impacted themselves. Only after you see the real effects that it has on someone does it make sense to most people.
I'm not counting on anything but this is going to be as close as we've gotten. Now is the time to blast your senators & remind them that people impacted by incarceration have people that vote. Don't let up. Call, email, tweet...whatever! If it doesn't pass before the end of the session, it has to start all over with the next Congress.

Here is a link to the National Incarceration Association info on the Act & how to reach out to your elected officials.Please share the link & urge others to speak out. https://mailchi.mp/af7d7490ead4/urge...nal-action-now
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-16-2018), fbopnomore (12-13-2018), MsFish (12-19-2018), patchouli (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 04:30 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,642 Times in 8,022 Posts

I'll say this: they've found a new way to fund their private prison income by shifting the burden to ICE detention facilities through GEO so any loss of inmate population is safely padded by immigration. They can "afford" to address justice reform now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-16-2018), patchouli (12-12-2018), ybrady72 (12-18-2018), yuliya1991 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 08:59 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,601 Times in 16,381 Posts

Just so there isn't any confusion, the First Step Act will affect Federal inmates only. Any changes in state sentencing / mandatory minimums, etc would need to go through your individual state's legislature.

Mitch McConnell has been dragging his feet, but I saw a news clip either this morning or last night where he reiterated that it will be voted on this year. He lies. So, we'll just have to wait and see. Oh. And while we're waiting, please make those calls in support of the First Step Act

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-16-2018), fbopnomore (12-12-2018), MPsQueen (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
As the title says, it's the 1st step. No, it doesn't go far enough & excludes a lot of people but it is a thaw in the attitude that's been around for years. I think that there are more & more people of all income levels & places in society that either have someone they love impacted or have been impacted themselves. Only after you see the real effects that it has on someone does it make sense to most people.
I'm not counting on anything but this is going to be as close as we've gotten. Now is the time to blast your senators & remind them that people impacted by incarceration have people that vote. Don't let up. Call, email, tweet...whatever! If it doesn't pass before the end of the session, it has to start all over with the next Congress.

Here is a link to the National Incarceration Association info on the Act & how to reach out to your elected officials.Please share the link & urge others to speak out. https://mailchi.mp/af7d7490ead4/urge...nal-action-now

I am in group on Facebook with FAMM and the president said Sex offenders wouldn’t benefit from The Step Act. It’s heart breaking.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:24 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,601 Times in 16,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks1170 View Post
I am in group on Facebook with FAMM and the president said Sex offenders wouldn’t benefit from The Step Act. It’s heart breaking.
Violent offenders & sex offenders always get the short end of the stick. Yeah, I hate it too.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-16-2018), LifeTraveler (12-24-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Apparently Mitch McConnell has stopped blocking a vote on the First Step Act.

I find it ironic that the main impetus for the law came from the President's Son in Law, who actually experienced what happens to a family member who is caught up in federal crimes that aren't crimes anywhere else in the world. Jared Kushner's Dad, Charles, in 2005, was convicted of illegal campaign contributions, tax evasion, and witness tampering, and served time in federal prison. One action by Charles resulted in multiple felony criminal charges by an overreaching (the only kind) federal prosecutor, which is a major reason for the excessively long prison sentences handed out by judges.

Prison often turns nonbelievers into religious zealots, and tough on crime folks into Liberals. Their families also get to experience prison as it actually is, "in the belly of the beast".
Old 12-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,571 Times in 2,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli;7755569[B
]Just so there isn't any confusion, the First Step Act will affect Federal inmates only. Any changes in state sentencing / mandatory minimums, etc would need to go through your individual state's legislature.
[/b]
Mitch McConnell has been dragging his feet, but I saw a news clip either this morning or last night where he reiterated that it will be voted on this year. He lies. So, we'll just have to wait and see. Oh. And while we're waiting, please make those calls in support of the First Step Act

Patch this has been the confusion with many in South Carolina after hearing about First Step Act, and trying to help families understand the difference in federal and state legislation for sentencing and prison reforms.

I hope this doesn't become a tug-of-war contest since many are bitter about midterm election results and now have their focus on the 2020 election period. It's already being used to play on people's emotions using immigration and the "illegal" who is a danger to our society as it was done in the 1980s and 1990s to incarcerate so many for drug offenses, and we see the outrageous result of "the war on drugs" there.
fbopnomore (12-16-2018), patchouli (12-19-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
Patch this has been the confusion with many in South Carolina after hearing about First Step Act, and trying to help families understand the difference in federal and state legislation for sentencing and prison reforms.

I hope this doesn't become a tug-of-war contest since many are bitter about midterm election results and now have their focus on the 2020 election period. It's already being used to play on people's emotions using immigration and the "illegal" who is a danger to our society as it was done in the 1980s and 1990s to incarcerate so many for drug offenses, and we see the outrageous result of "the war on drugs" there.
It's all about the money. Always has been. Years ago, back before we had the flood of invaders we do now, they would come over, work hard, and go back home usually at the end of the growing season. There weren't that many, and honestly, they didn't hurt anyone. But now we are in a situation, where people are coming over in droves, and MANY aren't so hard working, and decent anymore. Lots of trash are coming in right along with those who are simply looking for a better life. Frankly, we can't afford it anymore. Our debt is insane, and we just can't afford it. No other way to put it. The drugs business has stuffed our prisons full, like you said. It's absurd that our government refuses to acknowledge the utter failure the war on drugs has been. Thousands of humans, legal or not, have been stuffed in cages. Some for the rest of their life, over choosing to put a substance in their own bodies that is quite frankly, none of anyone else's business. They didn't drive under the influence, or hurt anyone else. They were simply caught with it in their possession. Stop the war on drugs, and the vast majority of this insanity will stop. Drugs is such a lucrative business now BECAUSE they are illegal. Legalize them and the price will plummet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tdj For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-17-2018), Kajun48 (12-19-2018), patchouli (12-19-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,642 Times in 8,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdj View Post
It's all about the money. Always has been. Years ago, back before we had the flood of invaders we do now, they would come over, work hard, and go back home usually at the end of the growing season. There weren't that many, and honestly, they didn't hurt anyone. But now we are in a situation, where people are coming over in droves, and MANY aren't so hard working, and decent anymore. Lots of trash are coming in right along with those who are simply looking for a better life. Frankly, we can't afford it anymore. Our debt is insane, and we just can't afford it. No other way to put it. The drugs business has stuffed our prisons full, like you said. It's absurd that our government refuses to acknowledge the utter failure the war on drugs has been. Thousands of humans, legal or not, have been stuffed in cages. Some for the rest of their life, over choosing to put a substance in their own bodies that is quite frankly, none of anyone else's business. They didn't drive under the influence, or hurt anyone else. They were simply caught with it in their possession. Stop the war on drugs, and the vast majority of this insanity will stop. Drugs is such a lucrative business now BECAUSE they are illegal. Legalize them and the price will plummet.
I would encourage you to look at historical legislation regarding migrant workers, Central American "aid" after the end of the Cold War and compare it to our drug problem. This isn't an immigration issue. Period.

I will agree that the so called war-on-drugs is a huge failure in keeping people safe. It's been a real boon for those individuals profiting off the industries who "fight" it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-17-2018), rockchalk1 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The war on drugs just gets crazier, especially marijuana. It is legal in some States, and all of Canada now, yet even where it "is only a ticket", the ticket costs an awful amount, nearly $700.00 in South Carolina. Then comes the warrant for folks who can't pay the ticket, followed by arrest and jail. States like Texas handcuff, arrest and jail folks caught with minute amounts of pot, as do many other States.

It's not only drugs either. This weekend on Live PD, one poor guy was arrested for a warrant issued when he "failed to register his dog" (which wasn't even his dog) and some other memorable arrests were for "not having your turn signal engaged for the entire 50 feet before the turn" and the very common "license plate light is burned out".

Being arrested and taken to jail is brutal for folks who spend their lives being model citizens, and now with all of the computer data bases it is an "arrest record" for life. Tough on crime has devolved into being a war on Americans.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:30 PM

I'm trying to remain positive. I have high hopes for the First Step Act. I have been watching the news similar to how a parent watches their child that is up for a home run to score the last winning point. I realize it won't effect all but it is a beginning to something good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt'sAngel For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 03:31 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The war on drugs just gets crazier, especially marijuana. It is legal in some States, and all of Canada now, yet even where it "is only a ticket", the ticket costs an awful amount, nearly $700.00 in South Carolina. Then comes the warrant for folks who can't pay the ticket, followed by arrest and jail. States like Texas handcuff, arrest and jail folks caught with minute amounts of pot, as do many other States.

It's not only drugs either. This weekend on Live PD, one poor guy was arrested for a warrant issued when he "failed to register his dog" (which wasn't even his dog) and some other memorable arrests were for "not having your turn signal engaged for the entire 50 feet before the turn" and the very common "license plate light is burned out".

Being arrested and taken to jail is brutal for folks who spend their lives being model citizens, and now with all of the computer data bases it is an "arrest record" for life. Tough on crime has devolved into being a war on Americans.
Depends on the county in South Carolina. It was recently stated by a legislator that drug cases in this state are prosecuted differently. What you may get a fine for in one county, can land you in prison in another.
fbopnomore (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 05:28 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The $700.figure is from Columbia. When I heard it I immediately pictured large numbers of Fort Jackson soldiers in boot camp donating their entire monthly checks to the county courts. The tickets are touted as a minor inconvenience, and when compared with arrest, jail and having the car towed, I guess they are.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 PM

Thanked 1,816 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'sAngel View Post
I'm trying to remain positive. I have high hopes for the First Step Act. I have been watching the news similar to how a parent watches their child that is up for a home run to score the last winning point. I realize it won't effect all but it is a beginning to something good.

I just heard a bit ago that Sen Cotton & Kennedy have added several amendments that can really derail the passage. One is that the BOP will be required to monitor & track each early release under the Act & report on recidivism. Just the cost alone will be a deal killer to many, not to mention the massive amount of work needed to do this. It will make discussion necessary which will only delay passage.

Time is running out so please reach out to your senators & let them know how critical it is to get this passed without the baggage added by people with no plans to vote for it. Also let Sen Cotton (Ark) & Sen Kennedy (LA) know that real people are affected by this decision. Tell your story & make them see the people behind the numbers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-18-2018), patchouli (12-19-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 07:19 PM
hous1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
I just heard a bit ago that Sen Cotton & Kennedy have added several amendments that can really derail the passage. One is that the BOP will be required to monitor & track each early release under the Act & report on recidivism. Just the cost alone will be a deal killer to many, not to mention the massive amount of work needed to do this. It will make discussion necessary which will only delay passage.

Time is running out so please reach out to your senators & let them know how critical it is to get this passed without the baggage added by people with no plans to vote for it. Also let Sen Cotton (Ark) & Sen Kennedy (LA) know that real people are affected by this decision. Tell your story & make them see the people behind the numbers.
Always the Southern states trying to keep the foolishness going.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:03 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The $700.figure is from Columbia. When I heard it I immediately pictured large numbers of Fort Jackson soldiers in boot camp donating their entire monthly checks to the county courts. The tickets are touted as a minor inconvenience, and when compared with arrest, jail and having the car towed, I guess they are.

Sadly, we're in a county and city conflict with those fines. The city of Columbia can fine you $700 but the county can arrest you for the same crime and that fine be higher. That was my point. The lines of jurisdiction cross so much in South Carolina based upon where you're arrested, charged, and convicted it's sickening.
fbopnomore (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

South Carolina seems to be in a nastiness contest with States like Texas, Cali, NY etc.

The criminal justice system in the United States is out of control, and broken. That's why there are 1.2 million outstanding arrest warrants in New York alone.
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...arrants-2015-8