Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:48 PM

Default Prisoner Advocate

Does anyone have information on Prisoner Advocates for inmates in county correctional facilities?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

Thanked 2,165 Times in 860 Posts

From what I've seen, families are the best advocates for inmates. There are a few advocates around who charge for their services, but they are few and far between.

I am 2000 miles from CA, but in the last 15 months, I've created enough "fuss", that I have a reputation at my son's prison - Fire Breathing Dragon Lady. After many attempts to work with the actual prison, which never got any results, I started a campaign of letters to CDCR Sacramento, legislators, the 3 judges, the Receiver's office, etc. until they finally started to listen. I put down all the groundwork for a huge lawsuit and they knew it. THAT is when I started getting action.

It doesn't happen overnight - and I'm not going to tell you it will be easy - but it can be done if you have the patience and fortitude to do it.

Good Luck
Old 12-06-2008, 12:26 AM

Thanked 4,616 Times in 1,700 Posts

Welcome to PTO. Are you looking for a California prisoner advocate? And is it for a male or female inmate? If you can be a little more specific (like what TYPE of advocacy is needed) I should be able to post something for you. Let me know if the inmate has children, too, as there are a few advocates specifically for prisoners with children.

Last edited by kima; 12-06-2008 at 12:28 AM..
Old 12-06-2008, 06:42 AM

Sorry I'm new to all of this. My boyfriend is in California and I am in Missouri. He was recently sentenced and we are trying to get the transfer process started. He has no children, all of his family is also in Missouri. A friend that he made while in prison told me to see if I could contact an advocate - it would be helpful for my boyfriend. I didn't know there were different types of advocates. If that isn't enough information please let me know, like I said I'm new to the prison system and don't know the terminology or even where to look for help. I did contact lawyers in both states who said we are pretty much on our own since he was sentenced and the transfer is up to each state. He has requested the transfer paperwork - he doesn't know who his po is yet and he hasn't mentioned a counselor. I believe I have read everything contained on the Interstate Compact site and contacted Missouri.
Just a side note - I spent quite a bit of time reading the postings before I became a member - you are some of the strongest women I have ever encountered. I was grateful to find a support group such as this. thank you.

Last edited by KC'zGirl; 12-06-2008 at 06:43 AM..
Old 12-06-2008, 08:05 AM

As far as I know, there isn't an advocate for Interstate Transfers, it will be up to him getting the paperwork from his counselor and starting the process on his end. The advocates I have links to are for help getting medical care, Innocence projects, inmates with children (esp. women prisoners with kids), etc. However, here's a link to the California Compact Administrator and staff, who may be able to at least give you some direction (you can also use this link to access the National Committee if it's different than the site you've already been to?):
http://www.interstatecompact.org/Dir...4/Default.aspx

There have been very few interstate agreements made (in 2005 California only sent 360 out of over 170,000 prisoners to another state and only a small portion of those were for family reasons). Here's a report done about it that also lists some specifics for Missouri:
http://nicic.org/Downloads/PDF/Library/021242.pdf

Unfortunately, you being a girlfriend won't having any bearing on things. If you were his wife you'd be able to make a better claim as to why he should be in MS, especially if you had children together. But you can at least get all the info for him (and basically be his outside advocate). CA will want to see support that comes from his immediate family. You didn't say how much longer he has, but if it's less than 6 months or so, maybe he can put in for a parole transfer? (Which won't be granted until/unless he pays off any restitution).

There is one hope here. If he can prove he is/was actually a resident of MO when he was arrested, and he never set up residency in CA (was here less than 6 months), he can make the claim that he was never a CA resident and that will help his case. The other option he has is to volunteer for the out of state transfers that are taking place due to overcrowding. MO isn't one of the states that CDCr has a contract with, but OK, MS and TN are (which are all at least closer). That doesn't guarantee he'd go to one of those states, but he could request it. From what I've read on PTO, the prisons in the other states are a lot better compared to the CA prisons, which would at least be better for him.

Good luck and I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. It's most likely going to be a battle with little chance of "winning" unless he can prove MO residency. Hopefully someone will post here that's been through this already and knows more about it.

Last edited by kima; 12-06-2008 at 08:20 AM..
Old 12-06-2008, 09:47 AM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
From what I've seen, families are the best advocates for inmates. There are a few advocates around who charge for their services, but they are few and far between. I am 2000 miles from CA, but in the last 15 months, I've created enough "fuss", that I have a reputation at my son's prison - Fire Breathing Dragon Lady. Good Luck
no...you can't be the fire breathing dragon lady cuz I am. I've gone through the same thing by the way- I think every one who works in the prison has heard my name by now lol
Old 12-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

EVEN BETTER! We have a 2 headed fire breathing dragon on our side. LOL
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. And then you cash in on guilt"--Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Old 12-06-2008, 07:44 PM

2sleepy and madhatter-
Your family members or friends in prison/jail are lucky to have you on their side, I hope you know that. And I hope all the people out there who think their loved one is going to be just fine without any help or assistance on the outside, read your posts and understand how important it is for them to be an advocate for their loved one who is incarcerated.
I get so worked up about the situations and messes going on in prisons today in California, I almost can't see straight. My husband is stuck in Lancaster and what he's told me in the last 3 months is bull***t. Men who are sick being ignored for days...food that is unrecognizable as anything edible. I know prison isn't supposed to be fun, but does it have to be hell on Earth? No one had better come at me with "it's too easy on the prisoners in there, all they do is eat and sleep" cause they have never seen someone so small move so fast and hard at them!!
Oops, sorry went off track there. Just wanted to say keep doing what you're doing I think you guys are the best!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Impatient1 For This Useful Post:
2sleepy (12-06-2008)
Old 12-06-2008, 08:53 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Thanked 2,165 Times in 860 Posts

Thank you Impatient 1.

I wish there were more who were as outspoken as I am. We could keep CDCR tied in knots and the only way to get rid of us is to fix it - or release our loved ones. Either way - WE would win for a change.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:26 PM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

yes, thanks impatient 1, If folks who posted here would get involved I think we could be a formidable force. As far as me, I raise hell not just for my son, but for every other inmate that is affected by the things that happen to him, and I expect to continue after he is released.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:40 AM

Thank you for your input - again sorry for the lack of information. His release date is March 12th, 09. I think it would actually be a probation transfer and proving residency in Mo. shouldn't be a problem. He owns a home here and still has bills in his name. He never ACTUALLY set up residency in Ca. He was renting a small house in Ca but had only been in it for 2-3 months. He had only been in Ca for 5 months when he got arrested. His immediate family has agreed to write letters on his behalf (they also reside in Mo.) Does fiancee have any more pull than girlfriend. The question has been asked and answered, there just isn't a date other than asap. He asked if we could get married online so that I could lose the "just a girlfriend" title. I responded - Proxy? I will definately check out the links you included. Thanks again.

Last edited by KC'zGirl; 12-07-2008 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: incorrect date
Old 12-07-2008, 01:06 AM

He really shouldn't have too much of a problem if he wasn't even a resident here and he owns a house there. The only hold up will be if he owes any restitution or fines - they'll keep him in CA until that's all paid off. Your being a girlfriend or fiancee won't make a difference, either. Well, to you it would of course . His family sending letters will help a lot, and even better would be if he has a job offer lined up (or proof of income, money in the bank, etc.). His counselor needs to get the paperwork going, but you may want to call the counselor just to make sure that he/she's on top of things (or have his mom or dad call).

Just so you know, marriage by proxy has been deemed illegal in CA (unless it is a military proxy wedding). Besides, it sounds like he may be home soon and you can have a nice wedding with the family, yay!!! (And you'd probably be waiting for the marriage to get approved longer than you'd have to wait for his release, lol). Hang in there, and best wishes.

Last edited by kima; 12-07-2008 at 01:08 AM..
Old 12-07-2008, 01:20 AM

Thank you - in regards to the wedding/paperwork - I thought the same thing. As I'm sure you know it's hard to just sit and wait. Feel like there is so much more I should/could be doing. Thank you again for all of your help.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:11 PM
freedomfighter9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC'zGirl View Post
Does anyone have information on Prisoner Advocates for inmates in county correctional facilities?
Thank you.
what particular facilities since they vary from county and state
Old 01-14-2021, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,526 Times in 3,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfighter9 View Post
what particular facilities since they vary from county and state
This post was from 2008 and the OP hasn't been here since.