Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Hurricane Rita Forums
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hurricane Rita Forums Discussions on Hurricane Rita

Old 09-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Joseph-N-Melissa

Default We hear nothing of our loved ones in prison going through Hurrican Rita

I am so angry, so worried. The south of Texas was hit by Hurrican Rita, passing over Beaumont, where there are a number of prisons. Yet, the news does not report of nothing on them. We are seeing the same coverage over and over again. There were mandatory evacuations, but of course not for inmates. Huntsville has not heard a word from any of the prisons, but they tell us no one was hurt. How do they know? I am so worried for him and the rest of the population. Electricity and water, they say, won't be up for a month. These men live hard enough days, why punish them by subjecting them to worse conditions. I've emailed my local news stations about this, but what else can I do? I'm sure everyone is alright, but I'm angry at the fact that they don't mention them. What makes them any less important than anyone else? There mistakes, well then lets just start judging everyone.

I'm sorry I just need to vent.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2005, 07:20 PM

I agree with you...but cannot pretend to be suprised. Yet another indicator as to how much people care about those incarceratored. Because they are in prison it is as if they (and their families) are no longer 100% human beings. Helps to explain why we have such an awful penal and "justice" system. Your anger is fully justified.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Banned

Onechance, I do understand what you're saying. I'm riding on the "no news is good news" thing concerning the prison(s). I believe if there was something to report regarding them that the media would have been all over it.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,594 Times in 2,182 Posts

There is a post on pto that has stated that those in Mark Stiles are ok .. they are staying there . for they have power and water . they have a generator.. Have you called up to the unit itself and see what is going on there in beaumont.. the other 2 units leblanc and gist are the ones having their inmates moved from Stiles to other prisons.

Last edited by Jillian; 09-27-2005 at 10:26 PM..
Old 09-28-2005, 04:19 AM

It has to be troublesome to have to wait for word about your loved one! Very stressful. Keep in mind that they are probably ok. I agree that if officials had let anything happen to a jail/prison full of people, the media would have been all over that one!

A prison without plumbing and electricity is not considered more punishment, titantoo. Thousands of families down there have no electricity or plumbing or phone service, etc. Nobody is picking on jails/prisons. Hopefully, the inmates are at least getting MREs and some water. All other creature comforts will have to wait until all utilities are restored - same as with all residents of that area.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:18 AM

My husband is in the Wynne Unit in Huntsville. He said that last Tuesday they received 600 evacuated inmates from another unit. He doesn't know where they came from though. Wynne was on semi-lockdown status. No mail went out for the latter part of last week. I've had little communication with him because I had to evacuate and didn't get to visit over the weekend. I did get a letter from him yesterday saying the evacuated inmates were supposed to be moved out this past Tuesday.

And Doc's Sis, a prison without plumbing and electricity may not be punishment, but it does breed all sort of problems. Without electricity inside a prison with 2000 men where the tempeture is 100 degrees outside and you can't plug in your fan, tempers are going to run very hot inside. No water in the fountains to drink, or in the sinks to cool off with. They don't have bottled water like we do. And I doubt the State will provide it. The toilets fill up and can't be flushed. No showers can be taken. It doesn't take much for things to get real ugly real fast.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:56 AM

Yes, Shayne - no electric when it's 100 degrees and humid can create problems. I agree! Where my brother is, the electric went out for several days and they suffered thru it some how - but some guys who already had health problems had to be moved.

No working plumbing can create more health problems and a total disaster. I AGREE with you. My point was that it isn't just the prison who has no utilities, it is many thousands of families who are in the same situation. Many of the families had to wait just to get a bottle of water to drink. They had no bathrooms either and had to 'do their thing' outdoors. They couldn't take a shower or wear clean clothing either! Thus, it wasn't just the people in a prison who had to suffer because of an act of nature. It was everyone who lived in the path of the storm. That's all I was trying to say. Wasn't trying to say that I didn't care what happens to inmates. ok?

By now, they should at least have bottled water and MREs. Hopefully, there is some kind of medical care available for prisoners also.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:28 AM

PS: I just read an article by AP saying that people in TX are still living in primitive conditions with 100 degree temps, very high humidity and mosquitos which could cause illness or even death. Not good at all. They do have some bottled water now and the MREs but not much more.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:09 AM
Site Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's Sis
PS: I just read an article by AP saying that people in TX are still living in primitive conditions with 100 degree temps, very high humidity and mosquitos which could cause illness or even death. Not good at all. They do have some bottled water now and the MREs but not much more.
Please post a link as I am waiting for any news at all from my son's unit.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Member of FIAA :)

This whole situations is messed up.
Everybody is suppose to be fine so I've read on the TDCJ page
but there is hardly any mail coming and going or whatever

Old 09-29-2005, 09:10 AM
[URL=http://www.GlitterMa

Default just to let you know

Ok I dont know about all of them but 11 buses of inmates were transported to where i live which is lufkin some from beaumont some from huntsville....they are not w/out electricity....well the ones who got transported here! some are staying at our school(brookhollow elementry) and they put some of them in the county jail..... i dont know the school address but if any of you would like to send a letter to your inmate then you can pm me and ill give you the address to the county jail. Hope this can make you not worry as much!

Memer 74 of Loving My Inmate Club

Old 09-29-2005, 09:11 AM

my son is in stiles unit i don't what is going on there.if he is there or have they moved him. i'm so worried.does anyone know anything at all.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Hangin'On

I saw on the TDCJ website today that all the units that were evacuated EXCEPT the LeBlanc and Gist units from Beaumont have been returned. Most of the inmates from those two are being housed in Tennessee Colony. You can call 936-437-6127 and they will tell you where an inmate is if u have his number. Much luck to all of you, I just found my man yesterday!!

2005 Club Member #44
Old 09-29-2005, 04:28 PM

Latest News:

Rita and the BOP (Posted 09/29/05)

The BOP continues to assess damage and repairs needed to the affected South Central Region institutions. Clean-up activities are underway.
All institutions at FCC Beaumont, which was the worst hit of Bureau facilities, are secure and operating in a safe and orderly manner. Non-drinkable water has been restored to the complex; and the institutions have ample supplies of bottled water and ice, which is available to the staff and inmates on a continual basis. Phone service has been restored. Full electrical public utility service is not likely to be restored for some time, weeks probably, but lighting at all the facilities is being provided by generators. The air conditioning systems are undergoing repairs and are expected to be operational soon; industrial-sized fans are being used to keep staff and inmates cool and to circulate the air. Inmates at all Beaumont facilities are receiving one hot meal and two cold meals per day. The situation is being continually monitored and actions are underway to restore normal operations at the FCC as soon as possible.
The South Central Region continues to operate a hotline for inmate families and friends; you may call 214-224-3433 for information about inmates confined in affected institutions. Updates will also be provided on this page.
.................................................. .....................
About this area:
This section provides the public access to Bureau news articles, reports, and information that might be of interest. Use the menu on the left to visit different sections in this area.

Last Updated: September 29, 2005
Old 10-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Missing My Son

IF the phone service has been restored to the Beaumont FCC I would have heard from my son again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus this was the same information I was given on the same day I talked to my son ... tuesday ... sept 27 and I know it was not true! This is the link to other information about Beaumont FCC. http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...0&goto=newpost
Please keep me posted if you hear anything else!!

Always Missing My Son!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:00 PM

the hurricane rita didnt really hit Beaumont tx...my cousin said everythings fine and that it everyone is ok...the hurricane didnt hit them as hard as they think it would...
ive recieved letters from him, but he still hasnt gotten my mails b/c the postal service are still lagging..but im sure everyone is ok
Old 10-07-2005, 01:18 PM

My son is located at USP Beaumont. I just talked to him today and he states the following conditions----- running water, but not drinkable; electricity powered by generators; inmates are getting food, but mostly surviving on canteen and thats getting scarce; hot and humid conditions inside the prison; smelly; dirty linen; generators keep cutting off; they need a good shower--badly; and short staffed. I'm concerned because these conditions can breed hostility if not corrected soon. Medium security prisoners have been moved out because they started rioting.